• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

R.I.P Eddie Barlow

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saw him play many times, a real hero of mine.

First time was in the Kent v South Africa match from 1965 (the one where Graeme Pollock scored the double hundred that hooked me to this wonderful game) - he opened the batting that day. A fortnight later, at Trent Bridge, he top-scored in the second innings with a gritty 70-odd to help set up the victory that gave South Africa the lead in the series.

Following the cancellation of the 1970 SA tour of England (that was a tit-for-tat retaliation over the d'Oliveira snub and heralded the start of South Africa's sporting isolation), England played a 5 match series against Gary Sobers' Rest of the World XI - Barlow's finest hour in that series came at Headingley when he took 12 wickets in the match, 7 in the first innings including a hat-trick (4 in 5 balls).

He then played 3 seasons as skipper of God's own team (Derbyshire), a time when we were marginally worse than rubbish (same as the present I suppose) - but he always retained an "over my dead body" attitude on the pitch.

Great player, great man

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP. Only 65, no age at all nowadays. :(

From the obits I read the poor bloke had been in poorly health for some time since he had a stroke.

SA's isolation was totally justified, but it does leave their team as one of the great "what ifs...?" in cricket. They certainly had some players back then, Mr Barlow not the least of them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Very sad news. For some reason the incident I immediately think of concerning Eddie Barlow was in the 1978 Benson and Hedges Cup Final when he was playing for Derbyshire. He was bowled by Derek Underwood for a duck. It's always stuck in my mind because there was a dispute at the BBC and the match was shown without any sound.