• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What sort of bad decisions do you prefer?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know this sounds like a crazy title for a thread, but given the fact that umpires are human and are prone to errors, what sort of errors can you tolerate?

Personally, I don't mind a batsman who is probably out being given not out, but I always feel it is very unfair when a batsman who is probably not out is given out. It may be the old clique that a batsman gets only one opportunity, but I always feel bad when a batsman who is not out is given out than when a batsman who is out is given not out. Thoughts?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously, the ones where the batsman is out but is given not out, and then is removed soon after anyway. They cost very little, and you know exactly what the damage was - no ifs or buts, and no huge changes in the match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Any decision which favours my team. :D

Generally bat pad inside edges are pretty tough to identify and they are the ones I am usually a bit understanding towards.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Any decision which favours my team. :D

Generally bat pad inside edges are pretty tough to identify and they are the ones I am usually a bit understanding towards.
Ditto for both

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i prefer an umpire to get a decision wrong and give a "not out" when the batsman should have been on his way back to the pavilion rather than see an umpire give a batsman out when he wasnt, although ideally i would steer clear of both.

archie mac

International Coach
The ones that annoy me the most are LBWs given out when the ball clearly pitches outside leg stump :@

I can't understand with all the modern technology why there can't be an invisible line that only the umpire can see (special glasses) from stumps to stumps.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
The ones that annoy me the most are LBWs given out when the ball clearly pitches outside leg stump :@
word... especially at lower levels at well this one comes up a lot. Sure the ball may be hitting middle but people just don't have the balls to stand up and say it bounced outside leg.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
archie mac said:

I can't understand with all the modern technology why there can't be an invisible line that only the umpire can see (special glasses) from stumps to stumps.
Personally i wouldnt mine that getting sorted by the 3rd Umpire (but only that, i think the rest of LBW should be sorted by the Umpire on the field of play).

archie mac

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Personally i wouldnt mine that getting sorted by the 3rd Umpire (but only that, i think the rest of LBW should be sorted by the Umpire on the field of play).
Agreed, but I would not mind the third umpire to decide if the ball struck the batsman out side the off stump as well. :)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Neil and The Baconater. Generally the ones that don't bother me are those that are perfectly straight but just a bit high, which is very hard to judge for the umpire at the non-strikers end. Usually the only way they can prove the ball was too high is to have a look at hawkeye which isn't 100% accurate.

I also agree with Archie Mac's point about the strikezone. I can't see why they don't just paint three lines from stump to stump and make it easier on everyone. The umpires would get a good idea on where it pitched and struck, the batsmen wouldn't have to ask for centre and it would be easier for the bowlers to determine a spot they want to bowl. Might make the pitch look a bit messy though

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Now, I have learnt to live with bad decision and IMO they even out over a period of time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Aside from the obvious stated above, ones that I agreed with in real-time don't fuss me too much.
Spot on for me.

If I'm watching a game and think a certain thing on first sight, then if the umpire agrees IMO there's no grounds for complaint.

thierry henry

International Coach
Agree with Neil. For me that generally means bat-pads and thin edges behind. I often have no idea with those. However, I tend to be extremely good (yes, I'm giving myself a pat on the back) with LBWs and hardly ever get them wrong, and it really outrages me when I can instantly say why an LBW isn't out (and trust me, I tell everyone in earshot), but the umpire gives it out. That seems unacceptable to me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, you guys have covered most of the aspects. I agree with Archie that if a batsman has been given out and he is proven to be not out within a first 2 or 3 replays, the 3rd ump should be given authority to call him back and revoke the decision.