Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: should sledging be banned?

Cricket Spectator donwasaverage's Avatar

should sledging be banned?

Jonathan Agnew argues on the BBC website that it's a "weakness of the game that the sledging that started during the World Series hasn't been drummed out."

I agree with most of what he says but this one is beyond me. Besides being fun to watch sledging provides the players with the means to let it all out in a game that can be extremely tense, frustrating and aggressive.

No harm is generally done because they all know it's just a bit of banter and will usually not overstep the mark.

Modern cricket is far removed from its rather sedate roots and i think sledging is an important part of that progression. Bring it on.

Nothing wrong with it, imho. Some of the best cricket stories have come out of it
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    You ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************

Well it would very impractical to enforce it anyway, i mean is an umpire gonna haul a bowler up just for saying "having trouble are we?" when the batsmen swings and misses?

Plus well directed sledging is a perfect acceptable tool in cricket, just look at how tino best was stumped via a bit of banter by flintoff and how Daryll Cullinan, a pretty dangerous batsmen was nullified via warne's banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    You ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************

Tickets please

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Well I am not a huge fan of sledging. Cricket isnt football with players running around shouting things no one listens to anyway.

Its sometimes a cool calculated way of crushing the spirit of the batsman.

What I fail to understand is how can it just be harmless banter if its at the same time an effective psychological weapon as I believe certainly Steve Waugh used to consider it. Forget what he called it.

And also, if its so harmless, why the fury, especially from australians, if anything said in the middle is reported afterwards by the targeted player?

Sledging is sledging.

What happens on the field stays on the field.

Enough said.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    As far as I'm concerned, anything goes while out in the middle - except for racism or sexual remarks. If they give it to you, you are perfectly within your rights to give it back to them. And it all should stay out there in the middle.

What really gets my goat is people referring to it as 'banter'. Like it or not, it's abuse, and you should freely expect to reap whatever you sow.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by swede
    What I fail to understand is how can it just be harmless banter if its at the same time an effective psychological weapon as I believe certainly Steve Waugh used to consider it. Forget what he called it.
    Mental disintegration is what you're looking for. And no, it shouldn't be banned. It's just another aspect of the game in my opinion, one that means players have to be tough mentally as well, and confident in their abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    As far as I'm concerned, anything goes while out in the middle - except for racism or sexual remarks. If they give it to you, you are perfectly within your rights to give it back to them. And it all should stay out there in the middle.

What really gets my goat is people referring to it as 'banter'. Like it or not, it's abuse, and you should freely expect to reap whatever you sow.
    surely there is a lot more than just sexual or racist remarks that are unacceptable.
    How about making fun of an ill relative. Of course this also makes "rules" impossible.

I just dont know why a bunch of 35 year old australian veterans will react with fury if its revealed what they say to the 18 year old insecure bangladeshi debutant they surround in the middle.

Also the different cultures that play test cricket makes it diffiuclt to draw the line of what is acceptable but should the most abusive culture decide.

(Of course some of Ponting´s recent bizarre comments seem to suggest that Australia decide what is within the spirit of the game and what is not.)

Pinball Champion!
    I think they should ban all this ******** that gets talked from the sidelines..

Like "Graham thinks Shane eats too many pies and wants to be captain but Graeme can't play Shane because he is a jarpie who cries too much.. Glenn meanwhile thinks everyone in the world has a weakness against him but missed his vital weakness, which is that he looks like a pigeon with bad hair.. Kevin talks to much and Ricky is a big cry baby"

All the people doing the talking are world class cricketers who can all win games on their own, thats what I don't understand.. It's like watching a boring soap with uncharismatic actors
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    No it should't be banned, and good luck if they tired
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

International Coach
    It's part of the game, get on with it. Shouldn't be banned.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

C_C
    Shouldnt be part of the game but some people are too uncouth to take their shortcommings in good stride.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I would prefer there be no sledging and the like, but it's not feasible to ban it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information