• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day XI of the year 2005

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2005 World ODI XI - Based on performances for the year

My Oneday World XI for the year 2005 is.....

I provided their stats for the year...

GILCHRIST - Batting ave 35 Batting SR 103
VINCENT - Batting ave 48 Batting SR 108
INZAMAM (c)- Batting ave 55 Batting SR 89
PIETERSEN- Batting ave 65 Batting SR 103
HUSSEY - Batting ave 146 Batting SR 108
SYMONDS - Batting ave 41 Batting SR 91 Bowling ave 39 ER 4.81
STYRIS - Batting ave 39 Batting SR 74 Bowling ave 31 ER 4.23
VETTORI- Batting ave 21 Batting SR 98 Bowling ave 27 ER 3.93
BOND - Bowling ave 18 Bowling ER 4.41
MURALI - Bowling ave 26 ER 3.98
McGRATH - Bowling ave 19 Bowling ER 3.65

Super sub Lee/Kemp

It might seem a suprise that Styris beats allrounders Flintoff/Kemp and Pollock. But his stats for the year were better.

This team has very strong deep batting and has Styris and Symonds sharing the 5th Bowling slots.

Thoughts??

If you have alternatives, please provide their 2005 stats as part of your argument

Last edited:

Sudeep

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
My Oneday World XI for the year 2005 is.....

I provided their stats for the year...

GILCHRIST - Batting ave 35 Batting SR 103
VINCENT - Batting ave 48 Batting SR 108
INZAMAM (c)- Batting ave 55 Batting SR 89
PIETERSEN- Batting ave 65 Batting SR 103
HUSSEY - Batting ave 146 Batting SR 108
SYMONDS - Batting ave 41 Batting SR 91 Bowling ave 39 ER 4.81
STYRIS - Batting ave 39 Batting SR 74 Bowling ave 31 ER 4.23
VETTORI- Batting ave 21 Batting SR 98 Bowling ave 27 ER 3.93
BOND - Bowling ave 18 Bowling ER 4.41
MURALI - Bowling ave 26 ER 3.98
McGRATH - Bowling ave 19 Bowling ER 3.65

Super sub Lee/Kemp

It might seem a suprise that Styris beats allrounders Flintoff/Kemp and Pollock. But his stats for the year were better.

This team has very strong deep batting and has Styris and Symonds sharing the 5th Bowling slots.

Thoughts??

If you have alternatives, please provide their 2005 stats as part of your argument
Dhoni's scored his runs @ 50.

adharcric

International Coach
yeah dhoni should definitely be in for gilchrist. graeme smith as an opener. muralitharan shouldn't be there, perhaps brett lee in his place. whatever, this side is kind of boring as its not even close to being a true "world XI".

Zinzan

adharcric said:
yeah dhoni should definitely be in for gilchrist. graeme smith as an opener. muralitharan shouldn't be there, perhaps brett lee in his place. whatever, this side is kind of boring as its not even close to being a true "world XI".
Boring?? Whats wrong with a team of the year....true world XI's have been done to death on this forum. The 2005 side is something new

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
LOL ....look at the figures dude
51 wickets at 19.94 and someone who can bat at 9 against someone who's only played 9 games and taken 17 wickets and is not great with the bat....

Zinzan

superkingdave said:
51 wickets at 19.94 and someone who can bat at 9 against someone who's only played 9 games and taken 17 wickets and is not great with the bat....
Don't think that side needs the extra batting, and Bond is actually quite a useful hitter and has a firstclass 100.

As far as bowling goes, I'd take Bond everytime over Lee since Bond actually uses his Brain when he bowls

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
Don't think that side needs the extra batting, and Bond is actually quite a useful hitter and has a firstclass 100.

As far as bowling goes, I'd take Bond everytime over Lee since Bond actually uses his Brain when he bowls
You are probably the only person in the world who would, then.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bond's been good, but come on. Lee is the leading ODI wicket taker in the world this year by a fair margin, that too at a superb average and a solid economy rate, and he can bat and field far better than Bond. It's a no brainer - Lee is a must-pick.

Especially since Bond basically had two good ODI games this year, in which he took 10 of his 17 wickets, one of which was against Zimbabwe. In his other series, he struggled. How can you pick a guy for a team of the year based on two games?

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Bond's been good, but come on. Lee is the leading ODI wicket taker in the world this year by a fair margin, that too at a superb average and a solid economy rate, and he can bat and field far better than Bond. It's a no brainer - Lee is a must-pick.

Especially since Bond basically had two good ODI games this year, in which he took 10 of his 17 wickets, one of which was against Zimbabwe. In his other series, he struggled. How can you pick a guy for a team of the year based on two games?
because I think he's a better ODI bowler than Lee...as well as having better stats for the year...lee played against some crap teams too....bangledesh included

Deja moo

International Captain
Dhoni over Gilchrist easily, and Lee over Bond. Wouldnt have Vincent in there. Hes riding on the back of one innings of 172 vs Zimbabwe.

Deja moo

International Captain
And yes, I know Bond was great, he proved himself against India too. But its his bad luck that there was another bowler who managed to do better than him.

Zinzan

Deja moo said:
And yes, I know Bond was great, he proved himself against India too. But its his bad luck that there was another bowler who managed to do better than him.
How did Lee do better in 2005 apart from the fact he played more games??