• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day XI of the year 2005

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would pick Lee over Bond, but I think Bond would over-take him next year if he stays fit for awhile.

adharcric

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Boring?? Whats wrong with a team of the year....true world XI's have been done to death on this forum. The 2005 side is something new
well yeah its new, but all you basically did is look at who had the highest averages (except for the blunder of gilchrist over dhoni) ... and you chose bond after he played against the zimbabwe crap and the struggling indian lineup, i just don't think it's as interesting as the other XIs that have been done where more thought needs to be put in, but that's cool ... you're right, we have had too many of those

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
well yeah its new, but all you basically did is look at who had the highest averages (except for the blunder of gilchrist over dhoni) ... and you chose bond after he played against the zimbabwe crap and the struggling indian lineup, i just don't think it's as interesting as the other XIs that have been done where more thought needs to be put in, but that's cool ... you're right, we have had too many of those
You should worry about your Own threads dude

greg

International Debutant
VETTORI- Batting ave 21 Batting SR 98 Bowling ave 27 ER 3.93
In what respects doesn't Lee trump this? Also bear in mind that picking two spinners as frontline bowlers is near suicidal under the ridiculous powerplay rules, on anything but the most spin friendly/seam unfriendly tracks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Having seen the way he batted in the ODIs against us I'm a bit suprised Kamran Akmal is only averaging 33.47 with the bat this year. His keeping needs work, but his batting looked very strong to me.

Zinzan

greg said:
In what respects doesn't Lee trump this? Also bear in mind that picking two spinners as frontline bowlers is near suicidal under the ridiculous powerplay rules, on anything but the most spin friendly/seam unfriendly tracks.
If i was going to drop a spinner to include LEE, it would be Murali , as he and Vettori have pretty even stats for bowling in 2005, but vettori is the superior batsmen and fielder

Deja moo

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
How did Lee do better in 2005 apart from the fact he played more games??
He sustained his form over more games, didnt he ? Okay, if you're taking consistency into consideration, Bond leaves Lee trailing in his dust, fair enough. But otherwise if there are two guys with the same figures, you would obviously go for the one who sustained it for more games.

PS: Get Dhoni in!!!

Ming

State 12th Man
greg said:
Vettori doesn't need a turning pitch to be effective. And if you have watched him play lately, you would know. He relies on flight and change of pace, two assets would he has excelled at. He would be in any World XIs, fantastic bowler, and one of the best ODI bowlers present if not the best.

Styris is a very underrated player, in many ways superior to Symonds.

greg

International Debutant
zinzan12 said:
If i was going to drop a spinner to include LEE, it would be Murali , as he and Vettori have pretty even stats for bowling in 2005, but vettori is the superior batsmen and fielder
Lee averages 39 with the bat and 19 with the ball?

greg

International Debutant
Ming said:
Vettori doesn't need a turning pitch to be effective. And if you have watched him play lately, you would know. He relies on flight and change of pace, two assets would he has excelled at. .
Slightly missing the point. How often does he bowl with two fielders outside the ring?

Zinzan

greg said:
Lee averages 39 with the bat and 19 with the ball?
i could live with lee ahead of murali....especially on a seamers pitch ...not on a dry spinners wicket though

Ming

State 12th Man
greg said:
Slightly missing the point. How often does he bowl with two fielders outside the ring?
Not many times, no. But the main point you are missing, is that Vettori would be still be effective during the PP overs. In that side Zinzan has named, there would be enough players to occupy the PP overs, while Vettori would operate outside of them. His RPO is outstanding.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
because I think he's a better ODI bowler than Lee...as well as having better stats for the year...lee played against some crap teams too....bangledesh included
Yes... but he didn't take a significant chunk of his wickets for the year against Bangladesh, did he?

Fair enough you think Bond is a better bowler than Lee, but we're picking it based on performances this year. This year, Bond has had two wonderful games where he took more than half his wickets, and one good series. He has also had one poor series. His statistical record is marginally better than Lee's (slightly lower average, .07 lower in economy rate), but he only managed to perform in one series for the whole year. How on earth can you pick him then over a guy who has, for the entire year, been one of the best ODI bowlers around, and hasn't had a poor series, and has managed a very similar statistical record throughout?

And, for what it's worth, Lee took only four wickets this year against Bangladesh. He took 14 against New Zealand, 8 against England, 7 against the World XI, 8 against the West Indies and 8 against Pakistan.

greg

International Debutant
Ming said:
Not many times, no. But the main point you are missing, is that Vettori would be still be effective during the PP overs. In that side Zinzan has named, there would be enough players to occupy the PP overs, while Vettori would operate outside of them. His RPO is outstanding.
Whether it's Murali or Vettori who misses out doesn't matter. But on the stats Lee has to be above one of them.

The point about powerplays is not an anti-Vettori point, it's an anti-two (frontline) spinners point. Especially if you have a part-time fifth bowler.

Zinzan

I could live with Lee a head of Murali provided its not a spinner track. That would strengthen the batting even more.

I did have Lee as SS originally...so I defiantely did write him off completely

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ming said:
What's Lee's RPO? I don't think it's lower than Dan's.
4.5 for the year, about the same as Bond's.

Lee bowls inside the first 15 and at the death though, like Bond again.