• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day XI of the year 2005

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
Where's Murali?
Point, although Murali doesn't figure in all the ODI series the Lankans play. Maybe replace Vettori with Murali, but that weakens the batting a little (or a lot?).

thierry henry

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And much worse batting.
???

Styris averages 1 run less. There is certainly a significant difference in the strike rates, but Styris's strike rate is still very acceptable at 75. This could easily be explained away by the various situations that the two have had to bat in, because Styris is capable of very quick scoring.

Likewise you could use the same logic to explain Styris's significantly better economy rate with the ball. But that doesn't explain Styris's far better bowling average. Since the strike rates and economy rates almost cancel each other out, the averages are most useful, and show Styris as the better player because he was much better with the ball in terms of both average and economy.

btw, the post a while back rating the likes of Bravo, Pathan and even Afridi as better ODI all-rounders was absolutely hilarious. Over his last 60 or so games Styris has averaged mid 30s with the bat and mid-high 20s with the ball, which is outstanding. Afridi is easily an inferior batsman and bowler imo, Pathan and Bravo don't compare at all at this stage.

thierry henry

International Coach
Also, the post saying he didn't perform against Australia when he was arguably the NZ man of the series? What's up with that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ming said:
You haven't quite understood the art of the term 'etc' have you?

Oh so Symonds averages more than Styris by one, big deal.
He averages more over a lot more games and scores at a quicker rate.

Ming

State 12th Man
Since Symonds has played 'a lot more games', he should have even a higher average considering he has more opportunities to score than Styris.

Deja moo

International Captain
Nnanden said:
1) Gilchrist (wk)
2) Styris
3) Ponting
4) Pietersen
5) Ul-Haq (c)
6) Symonds
7) Hussey
8) Flintoff
9) Lee (1)
10) Vettori
11) McGrath (2)

How can you have Akhtar in your 2005 team? Hahah, I`ve been writing this team for around 20 minutes, and it`s still the same as everyone elses. :p

Styris replaces Dhoni. I just really want him in my side, very under-rated, and I can`t find a decent opener anyway.
How surprising that Styris couldnt replace Gilchrist 8-)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ming said:
Since Symonds has played 'a lot more games', he should have even a higher average considering he has more opportunities to score than Styris.
one of the most stupid things i have ever heard..

Ming

State 12th Man
I know. I tried my best to complement Marc's comment about Styris' batting being much worse than Symonds because he averaged 1 less.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Deja moo said:
How surprising that Styris couldnt replace Gilchrist 8-)
I know, Dhoni has been a superstar this year, but I`m choosing the better man with the gloves over batting, and Styris gives me a much needed option with the ball.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ming said:
:huh::blink:

You've gotta be kidding me. I guess then you believe that Andy Ganteaume was the best batsman in the world?

Deja moo

International Captain
Nnanden said:
I know, Dhoni has been a superstar this year, but I`m choosing the better man with the gloves over batting, and Styris gives me a much needed option with the ball.
How many catches/stumpings has Dhoni missed ? How many byes has he given away of his own incompetence ?

Ming

State 12th Man
andyc said:
:huh::blink:

You've gotta be kidding me. I guess then you believe that Andy Ganteaume was the best batsman in the world?
Meh. I was trying to match Marc's comment regarding having an average which is greater by 1 as being 'much worse'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
LongHopCassidy said:
When NZ played a pseudo World XI after Sri Lanka left early.
Hahahahaha...

That was a team consisting of players that werent playing cricket elsewhere at the time - about half of them had either retired or werent getting picked by the national side! Craig Spearman ffs!

If that was any sort of indication of a World XI, Chris Martin is an allrounder.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Then why, pray tell, did Styris not dominate those has-beens? If he was so much better than Watson, who performed against the world's best, then surely he should have laid waste to that lot. I mean, Ian Harvey! :p

Don't get me wrong - Styris has attained admirable figures this year. The problem is, players like Flintoff, Kallis and Symonds possess career stats that are similar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then why, pray tell, did Styris not dominate those has-beens?
I havent checked the stats, and I dont actually remember how he went because it was such a meaningless series, but I suggest that he either just didnt care or he was in bad form.

Really, it was a stupid thing to bring up.

Don't get me wrong - Styris has attained admirable figures this year. The problem is, players like Flintoff, Kallis and Symonds possess career stats that are similar.
The point of this thread, though, is to disregard previous accomplishments and just focus on this year.

Ming

State 12th Man
Styris career statistics are misleading. Anyone who actually has any knowledge of NZ cricket, will know he started in the ODI team as a bowling allrounder batting down at 8 or 9 and his average was in the 10s and 20s before he got promoted to the top order. In his last 60 matches, he has averaged 36, which is very respectable considering his fine bowling record of late.