• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting is the biggest choker of them all !

PY

International Coach
Oh and on topic, I'm guessing this has been said but anyone who saw Old Trafford in the Ashes can't call Punter a 'choker' (not sure it's the right word as SL mentions above, maybe 'cracker under pressure'). Cricket is cricket IMO and the pressure is still pressure and he's stood up quite straight in that Test so he's obviously got the brass ones.

I'd take him being able to do it in Tests than ODI even if the thread title was true because choking in ODIs means you can't slog the ball well enough but Tests involves so much more than that in terms of battles between specific bowlers, fielding placements to outfox the batsman.

Sudeep

International Captain
Salamuddin said:
What has his performance today got to do with chasing big totals in ODIS ? 8-)

Wow...he can score runs on a nice flat track against a bowling attack that has only one decent bowler in Nel....good stuff Hindustani 8-)

You come up with a decent argument explaining those figures that I originally posted not some totally irrelevant facts.

Try again programmer boy.
Don't think there was any need for that. Even if you have no cruel intentions, it sounds as if... let's not go there. Hardly anyone calls India Hindustan anymore. It's India in English, and Bharat in Hindi.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sudeep said:
Don't think there was any need for that. Even if you have no cruel intentions, it sounds as if... let's not go there. Hardly anyone calls India Hindustan anymore. It's India in English, and Bharat in Hindi.
Sudeep Sahib, you have companies called Hindustan Lever, Hindustan Motors, Hindustan Aeronautics.....Hindustan is part of your language.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Inzy is the biggest choker of them all !

In run-chases of 239 or less since 2002 (excl. Zim, B'desh & other non-Test-playing teams)
Code:
Batsman        Matches Runs Average 

Ponting        22      790  52.67
Inzamam-ul-Haq 13      254  23.09
I love Inzy's average when chasing 239 or less....... :D (since 2002, I like to cherry pick these statistics to formulate a moronic argument)
Ponting in contrast is an absolute lion....what a performance from the master when he is under pressure.

Sudeep

International Captain
Salamuddin said:
Sudeep Sahib, you have companies called Hindustan Lever, Hindustan Motors, Hindustan Aeronautics.....Hindustan is part of your language.
Well, you might have companies called Pakistan this, Pakistan that too. Would it suit you if every time I addressed you, I'll call you "you Pakistani"?

Sudeep

International Captain
Wikipedia said:
The name India IPA: /'ɪndiə/ is derived from the Old Persian version of Sindhu, the historic local appellation for the river Indus; see Origin of India's name. The Constitution of India and general usage also recognises Bharat (Hindi: भारत IPA: /bɦaːrət̪/ listen ▶ (help·info)), which is derived from the Sanskrit name of an ancient Hindu king whose story is to be found in the Mahabharata, as an official name of equal status. A third name, Hindustan (Hindi: हिन्दुस्तान IPA: /ɦɪn̪d̪ʊst̪aːn/) listen ▶ (help·info), or Land of the Hindus in Persian, has been used since the twelfth century, though its contemporary use is unevenly applied due to domestic disputes over its representiveness as a national signifier.
This is why it's used less and less.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
What has his performance today got to do with chasing big totals in ODIS ? 8-)

Wow...he can score runs on a nice flat track against a bowling attack that has only one decent bowler in Nel....good stuff Hindustani 8-)

You come up with a decent argument explaining those figures that I originally posted not some totally irrelevant facts.

Try again programmer boy.
Looked @ your location and I dont blame ya. Living close to Khyber Pass does affect one's ability to think (Afridi is another example).Say Hello to Osama, just tell him that he needs to hide there for another 3 years( that's when Dubya retires).

Now go make some Chappals, 10000 Hindustani visitors will be in Pakistan this month.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
In run-chases of 239 or less since 2002 (excl. Zim, B'desh & other non-Test-playing teams)
Code:
Batsman        Matches Runs Average 

Ponting        22      790  52.67
Inzamam-ul-Haq 13      254  23.09
I love Inzy's average when chasing 239 or less....... :D (since 2002, I like to cherry pick these statistics to formulate a moronic argument)
Ponting in contrast is an absolute lion....what a performance from the master when he is under pressure.
That's the best and most amusing post I've ever seen you make. Good work. :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Can someone explain, why the author picked 240 (and not 250 or 200) ?

The same reason why they didn't pick when chasing 239 or less...

My stats are based on the original article, the 240+ and above taken away from the all chases since 2002 - so they are real in case anyone thinks I just made 'em up. Can produce any argument you want if you reduce a sample to a few dozen specially selected innings.

Coming soon, Hayden the lion in seaming conditions...

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
The same reason why they didn't pick when chasing 239 or less...

My stats are based on the original article, the 240+ and above taken away from the all chases since 2002 - so they are real in case anyone thinks I just made 'em up. Can produce any argument you want if you reduce a sample to a few dozen specially selected innings.

Coming soon, Hayden the lion in seaming conditions...
I think what he's getting at is the reason that these crazy stats are picked because there's fault in every batsmans record if you look hard enough. I mean Tendulkar probably has a poor conversion rate of 50's into 100's at the WACA (don't try to prove me wrong cos I just made up something obscure off the top of my head).

Fact is if people have to dig deep to find your holes in your records you must be doing very well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked @ your location and I dont blame ya. Living close to Khyber Pass does affect one's ability to think (Afridi is another example).Say Hello to Osama, just tell him that he needs to hide there for another 3 years( that's when Dubya retires).

Now go make some Chappals, 10000 Hindustani visitors will be in Pakistan this month.
Sanz, grow up. Do you HAVE to reply to every troll? I'll answer that one for you; no you don't.