• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Look, I don't like Clarke very much, and I also like Symonds, but really, why is he still there. It's just not working. Damien Martyn would be my preference, but I doubt that will happen

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ClownSymonds said:
He is, but for whatever reason, it's just not working out.
So is Chris Martins batting....for some reason its just not working :Jumpy:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Tony Blade said:
I can just never understand why they dropped Martyn..silly, silly decision
Someone had to take the blame for losing the Ashes, and i guess it was him and Clarke :(

thierry henry

International Coach
In theory he should be good enough to average high 30s or low 40s, if he just stopped pretending to be a test batsman and played one-day style. But high 30s/low 40s isn't good enough by Australian standards.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
As good a OD player Symonds is unfortunately he doesn't have the game for Test cricket.

It's pointless keeping out Michael Clarke, Simon Katich or Damien Martyn (who has a test avg of over 50 i think) to keep experimenting with Symonds.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No, he's not...the experiment has failed. Time to put Martyn or Clarke back in or go with another Hussey.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds bowled well today, and if he manages some runs in the second innings he might get another test. He didn't take any wickets though, so that might count against him.

Craig

World Traveller
Thing is he bats like how he does in ODI cricket as he does in FC cricket (think of that 254* in County Cricket about 11 years back with all those sixes) so if he goes out there and bats how he it got him there then he will be fine. Obviously he has to treat each ball on it's merit, but don't you have to do it in anyother game you play no matter what version?

Craig

World Traveller
thierry henry said:
In theory he should be good enough to average high 30s or low 40s, if he just stopped pretending to be a test batsman and played one-day style. But high 30s/low 40s isn't good enough by Australian standards.
It would be if his bowling got better.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats4ever said:
As good a OD player Symonds is unfortunately he doesn't have the game for Test cricket.

It's pointless keeping out Michael Clarke, Simon Katich or Damien Martyn (who has a test avg of over 50 i think) to keep experimenting with Symonds.
What have Clarke, Katich or Martyn done to deserve a recall?

Drop Symonds if you like but at least replace him with someone that has done something to deserve an opportunity.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
clarke scored a double century on his return to state cricket.

besides the other 3 have at least proven themselves at test level. surely that is reason enough for htem to deserve another chance.