• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possibilities of Shane Warne playing to 40

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How possible is it?, i heard Benaud talking about it during the perth test & in an article somewhere. But i would love to see him play that long especially if he can play another ashes series.

It would be great for the next generation of aussie spinners coming through as well i.e Cullen, White, Casson who are likely to play for australia in the future imagine what they can gain by playing with him at test level.

What are your views?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
They asked him that question on "The Panel" last night and I think he said.

"I reckon I'm feeling older than Richie at the moment"
He also went on to said how hard touring was missing the family and whatever.

Tom Gleisner responded with, "Will it get to the stage where you say 'I'm only available to play if it's in Melbourne'"?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. His shoulder.
2. His desire.
3. His mobile phone.

If ALL of these are fit and firing, Warne will remain in the Test arena. If one fails, then it's time to settle down.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
As long as he keeps winning Tests and keeps on getting wickets, there is no reason for him not to play on till even 45 .

IIRC Eddie Hemmings of England played till he was 45 or so and Derek Underwood, Lance Gibbs all played to early 40s at least .

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
1. His shoulder.
2. His desire.
3. His mobile phone.

If ALL of these are fit and firing, Warne will remain in the Test arena. If one fails, then it's time to settle down.
I agree with you there, although mainly on the first two :p

As long as he's fully fit and still wants to keep playing, he will. Although, like you said, his many controversies (and he's sure to have more) could force him to retire early than he wants to. Personally, while I would want him to play for as long as he can, especially if he keeps up his recent form, I can't really see him going over to England for another Ashes series. But then again, Warne always does surprise.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's entirely up to the great man himself, provided his body holds together. I think he made the right decision to leave the one-day arena when he did. What seems to be remarkable is that he is, if anything, getting better with age!

I think we should treasure him while he's here. The word "legend" is overused (even that sentence itself is becoming a cliche), but Warney is one. A living, breathing, humanly-flawed legend.

That said it's a lot easier to appreciate his genius when England holds the urn! :D

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
1. His shoulder.
2. His desire.
3. His mobile phone.

I dont think his desire will become a problem, but certainly his shoulder and the rest of his body. Was watching the cricket, and it talked about how his flipper was less affective because of his broken finger. A few more injuries and he could be done.

But i could defaintly see him going back to england!

Gideon

School Boy/Girl Captain
4. Family

Apart from injuries, his family will have to come into consideration aswell, with his children at a young age, being away from them on long tours are going to take its toll on him.

I wouldn't be suprised however, if he does play to 40 and if he does 1000 odd test wickets wouldn't be out of the question.

greg

International Debutant
Can't realistically see his body holding out that long, especially considering one can only foresee his workload increasing over the next few years as he is bowled into the ground to cover the cracks in the rest of the Aussie bowling attack. Lee has been doing a sterling job but that won't be enough.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Can't realistically see his body holding out that long, especially considering one can only foresee his workload increasing over the next few years as he is bowled into the ground to cover the cracks in the rest of the Aussie bowling attack. Lee has been doing a sterling job but that won't be enough.
Yeah that is a problem, and mcgrath doesnt seem to be himself either

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I don't quite understand on the touring thing is he's quite happy to spend the English summer at Hampshire - with his marital situation can't see he'll have his kids with him then.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Yeah he's been bowling poorly for one Test in a row now!
I said he hasn't been himself, and i didnt think he bowled that well in the ashes either (due to injury partly though)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Clarie Grimmet made his debut at 33 and went on to get 200 wickets!

Warne is bowling superb right now and it is a possibility that he can go on till 40 despite the modern cricket being much more than past. Walsh went on till very late.

If Warne does go on till 40 it will be very difficult for Murali to hold the record once both of them have finished considering Australia play much more tests..

Autobahn

State 12th Man
40 might not seem too far away, but you gotta remember at 36 it only takes one big injury to end his career.

And unless the aussies start playing two leggies on a regular basis i just can't see him making it through 4 years and still be as good as he is now.

Grimmett had the advantage of having a regular spin-partner in O'Reilly who could share the workload with him, playing far less test and first class matches in his whole career than shane warne has so far and was never really expected to do anything with the bat or in the field.

I know it's downbeat but it's realistic, even walsh who many considered a one in a million for his fitness, had to pack it in at 39, and he really played on far too long having to carry the windies attack single-handedly.

So i really can't see warne playing much past the next ashes (or maybe the world cup) really.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not with the workload that's coming his way at the moment, not a chance - and if McGrath breaks down, it'll get a lot worse.

If Australia can find a decent 'stock' bowler to do the Jason Gillespie job, then that'll take some of the load away from Warne, but at present he is having to do so much work it's ridiculous.

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Not with the workload that's coming his way at the moment, not a chance - and if McGrath breaks down, it'll get a lot worse.

If Australia can find a decent 'stock' bowler to do the Jason Gillespie job, then that'll take some of the load away from Warne, but at present he is having to do so much work it's ridiculous.
No more than Murali has done throughout his entire career. And in answer to the thread, I have no idea, but one thing is for sure - if he does he'll be bloody tired when he's finished.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
What I don't quite understand on the touring thing is he's quite happy to spend the English summer at Hampshire - with his marital situation can't see he'll have his kids with him then.
heck it's warney... the first person who can understand him will be a genius.