• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PTU's - ODI Rankings

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Hey guys,

Well I've noticed that the CW ODI Rankings have been stopped lately so I've decided to make my owe up.

Here is the rankings as at Christmas Day 2005.

364.67 Australia
311.15 South Africa
303.07 Sri Lanka
291.65 New Zealand
289.77 Pakistan
285.54 India
280.78 England
252.25 West Indies
149.60 Zimbabwe
122.74 Bangladesh

I'll update at the end of the year, after the final ODI of the year NZ v SL on the 31st.

Last edited:

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Each match gets a rating for runs, wickets, batting out your overs, runs per over and final result. This comes to a total of 5 points per match, which is then given a scaling depending on how recent the match is.

The points are then total on a team versus team basis. If you score 26.00 against a team with an average of 35 you get (26*35) 910. These are all totaled and then finally all teams totals are scaled back to a nice small value.

Hopefully this will help a bit. Full explainion will be made soon.

What you think about it, accurate?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Paid The Umpire said:
Hey guys,

Well I've noticed that the CW ODI Rankings have been stopped lately so I've decided to make my owe up.

Here is the rankings as at Christmas Day 2005.

366.88 Australia
310.69 South Africa
301.21 Sri Lanka
291.34 New Zealand
288.80 Pakistan
283.13 India
276.86 England
250.70 West Indies
152.63 Zimbabwe
123.62 Bangladesh

I'll update at the end of the year, after the final ODI of the year NZ v SL on the 31st.
Interchange Pakistan and Sri lanka and then interchange Sri Lanka and Hindustan and then you would have the right rankings.

Deja moo

International Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
Each match gets a rating for runs, wickets, batting out your overs, runs per over and final result. This comes to a total of 5 points per match, which is then given a scaling depending on how recent the match is.

The points are then total on a team versus team basis. If you score 26.00 against a team with an average of 35 you get (26*35) 910. These are all totaled and then finally all teams totals are scaled back to a nice small value.

Hopefully this will help a bit. Full explainion will be made soon.

What you think about it, accurate?
I guess so, but given that the ICC rankings reflect Sri Lankas current position more accurately than yours, I'd say more tweaking is necessary.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Salamuddin said:
Interchange Pakistan and Sri lanka and then interchange Sri Lanka and Hindustan and then you would have the right rankings.
The only possible reason you could have for continually mislabelling India is in angling for a flame war.

Consider this a first and final warning.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
The only possible reason you could have for continually mislabelling India is in angling for a flame war.

I don't see why it is a problem calling India Hindustan when in both Urdu and Hindi it is referred to as Hindustan.
A lot of Indians refer to their country as Hindustan rather than the English India.
The term Hindustan is not an offensive one by any means....

What's in a name, anyway ?

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Hindustan (or more correctly, Bharat) is to India what Duetscheland is to Germany, Neil. Its acceptable.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I hadn't seen that in four years on this forum - and it intrigued me that you've used Hindustani only when in a seemingly negative manner. It reminds me of a member we used to have that used "Mongolians" instead of Indians when being awkward.

Still, perhaps I'm being over-sensitive and none too culturally aware. What's everyone else think?

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I hadn't seen that in four years on this forum - and it intrigued me that you've used Hindustani only when in a seemingly negative manner. It reminds me of a member we used to have that used "Mongolians" instead of Indians when being awkward.

Still, perhaps I'm being over-sensitive and none too culturally aware. What's everyone else think?
Personally, I prefer the use of India - given that we are on an English speaking forum.
:D . India is a country with people of different religions and is generally very tolerant
of other religions. That's another reason I prefer India to Hindustan - the latter seems to imply that it is a Hindu country when in fact secularism is very much embodied within the Indian constitution.

But I do agree that Sri Lanka are rated far too highly. We're not a particularly good side at the moment I'm afraid :D

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
I hadn't seen that in four years on this forum - and it intrigued me that you've used Hindustani only when in a seemingly negative manner.
Perhaps before, but here he just recommended placing India higher...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tony Blade said:
Perhaps before, but here he just recommended placing India higher...
I've eaten too much turkey and it's affecting my eyes.

I definitely prefer "India" - reasons outline above by Gajanayake - but on reflection my post (#10, dated today 1235 UTC) was unfair, harsh and unneccesary; for that I apologise unreservedly.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I love the contrversy...

364.67 Australia
311.15 South Africa
303.07 Sri Lanka (6th in ICC)
291.65 New Zealand
289.77 Pakistan (3rd in ICC)
285.54 India (5th in ICC)
280.78 England
252.25 West Indies
149.60 Zimbabwe
122.74 Bangladesh

Sri Lanka: Trail against only Australia and India
Pakistan: Trail against only Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and South Africa
India: Trail against only Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan(really low).

After some more games SriLanka will drop quickly but at this moment it is still correct.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Out of curiosity, who has SL beaten away from home, and who have they lost to in the past say 2-3 years.

C_C

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

The term 'hindustan' is commonly used by the hindi/urdu speakers of the subcontinent in reference to India. It leads to quite a few mis-understandings, particularly amongst many Muslims who i've met, who conted that the name 'Hindustan', directly translated to as 'land of the Hindus' is religious favouritism.
However, it is essential to understand the genesis of the term 'Hindustan' and 'Hindu's.
Neither of those terms existed until 1200s/1300s and is of Iranian origin.
Historically, many Indians have referred to India/subcontinent as the 'sapta-Sindhu', meaning 'the seven rivers/ seven rivers of Sindhu'. Indeed, the word 'sindhu' is of sanskritic origin and while most often is used in reference to the river 'Indus', 'sindhu' actually means 'river' in Sanskrit and has been used liberally around the subcontinent in the ancient times.
Indeed, the 'sapta-Sindhu' reference is a sanskritic reference of the Punjab river systems( Punjab means land of the five rivers), Ganga and the legendary Saraswati.
It is also often used/has been used to designate any major river system, be it the Punjab area,Ganges-Jamuna system, the Ganga-Brahmaputra-Megha delta or even major south Indian river systems such as Godavari or Krishna-Tungabhadra.

The word 'sindhu' got changed to 'sindh' by the Afghans, as their language has a tendency to drop 'u' at the end of a word.
'Sindh' was subsequently changed to 'Hind' by Persians, as the Persian language has a tendency to substitute 'h' for 's' in the beginning of a word.
The reference of 'hindu' and 'hindustan' originated around a thousand years ago with the foreign perceptions of India, as 'sindhu/sindh/hind' was in reference to the Indus river and 'hindus/hindustan' being in reference to the people/the land around the Indus.
In sanskrit, the term most often used for India is 'bharat'. The word 'hindus/hindustani' was introduced into the Indian culture around 1200s/1300s by turko-mongol invaders, who set up a 600 year rule of the subcontinent, primarily the northern parts of it and brought along quite a few terms/terminlogy that were adapted into north indian languages and even led to the rise of a new language - urdu.
In essence, 'hindu/hindustan' is a label used by near-eastern/turkic folks in reference to India and got filtered into India through the 600 years of turko-mongol rule of northen india/most of india.

deeps

International 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
It reminds me of a member we used to have that used "Mongolians" instead of Indians when being awkward.
That wouldn't be Fraz would it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like your rankings PTU. But more details on the points system would help. :)

BTW, I prefer the word India as well. Hindustan is not exactly an English word and the world recognizes us as India, not as Hindustan.

Sudeep

International Captain
honestbharani said:
I like your rankings PTU. But more details on the points system would help. :)

BTW, I prefer the word India as well. Hindustan is not exactly an English word and the world recognizes us as India, not as Hindustan.
Yeah, and even when not using English, it's usually Bharat. Any speech, in Hindi or other language apart from England, from prominent leaders of the country, refers to the country as Bharat, and not Hindustan.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
ODI Rankings at the end of 2005.

Australia 364.72
South Africa 311.06
Sri Lanka 299.99
New Zealand 293.98
Pakistan 290.62
India 285.77
England 280.48
West Indies 252.23
Zimbabwe 150.01
Bangladesh 122.64

No changes as far as the order goes but the distance between 3rd and 4th (SriLanka and NewZealand) is halved. Next update in a week.

Hopefully have a site up by mid month to show you all how it works/.