• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who deserves to be the CW Cricketer of the year for 2005?

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lots of gr8 performances in 2005?

as the year draws to an end, who would u guys pick as the Cricketweb Cricketer of the year 2005? :cool:

and also who should be the newcomer of the year?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder how long it will take before someone mentions a certain member...

Anyway,
As a very biased Australian cricket supporter, I'm gonna say Warne.

For newcomer of the year, I'm not too sure... Pietersen and Bravo impressed me quite a bit but I'm not all that sure how they've done against other teams. I might just be biased again and say Hussey.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Voting to confer awards for

Cricketer of the year
New comer of the year (with a basis for what entails a new comer)
Innings of the year
Bowling performance of the year

etc etc can be done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cricketer of the year: Have to be patriotic & say Freddie Flintoff. If Oz had've retained the urn Warney would've edged it tho. Magnificent all summer.

Newcomer of the year: Only a newcomer to the international arena, but Mike Hussey. To average over 100 in both forms (even for a brief while) is a superb effort.

Innings of the year: Has to be Ricky Ponting for his knock at Old Trafford. Dictionary definition of "captain's innings".

Bowling performance of the year: Not a single bowler, but collectively Pakistan for their efforts in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. Got into us & genuinely turned the match on its head. If I were to nominate a single performance I'll go McGrath in the first dig @ Lord's. As close to being unplayable as you'll see.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the year: Fred
New comer of the year (with a basis for what entails a new comer) KP
Innings of the year: KP 158 against Australia
Bowling performance of the year Shane Warne!

Deja moo

International Captain
Cricketer of the year: Flintoff, even if it was for great performances in one series mostly. Inzamam came to mind too. Warne, yeah, but the English arent the best players of spin anyway.
Innings : Pontings fifth day innings.
Newcomer: Dhoni ( how many batsmen, let alone keepers, hit 183* in a chase ?)
Bowling performance: Bond vs India, Kaneria vs England in the final two sessions of the third test.
Best single days play: Last day of the second Ashes test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Player of the year: Warne. His greatest year ever.

Newcomer of the year: Hussey for me as well, for sheer weight of performances in both forms of the game. Obviously Dhoni and KP had excellent starts as well, but Hussey hasn't put a foot wrong.

Batting performance of the year: Probably Ponting's (all Australians, for whatever reason), though a few others rate a mention.

Bowling performance of the year: McGrath at Lords, without a doubt. The most clear cut of all these for me.

No idea why they are all Australians, but there you go.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Best of the year is tight between Warne and Ponting, Ponting has made mountains of runs in both forms this year.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Cricketer of the year: Flintoff. Like Brumby, if Australia had nicked the Ashes it'd have been Warne.

Newcomer of the year: Pietersen, mainly on the back of that one innings. Other than that, Hussey.

Innings of the year: Pietersen's, to win the Ashes. Apparently, in a mid pitch discussion with Collingwood, just after being dropped by Warne, he said something along the lines of "I'm getting bored with this, I'm just gonna whack it." And he did.

Bowling performance of the year: Collectively, England, all summer. Individually, Warne 2nd dig at Trent Bridge, or McGrath at Lord's, or Freddie at The Oval. Being patriotic, I'm going for Freddie. If I was using my head, it'd be probably McGrath.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricketer of the year: Warne - broke a record that had stood for 25 years.
Innings of the year: KP although Inzy and Younis vs India probably have claims as well
Newcomer: Hussey who edges Dhoni based on test performances. People seem to be forgetting that KP was ordinary in Pakistan
Bowling performance: McGrath

adharcric

International Coach
Cricketer of the Year
***Inzamam-ul-Haq***
A combined average of 67, he led Pakistan to victory over England and what now seems to be a complete revival, with the return of Akhtar and the emergence of Kaneria.

Runners-Up
**Ricky Ponting**: combined average 55, leading run-scorer in both forms of the game, played several exemplary innings as the Aussie captain
**Graeme Smith**: combined average 52, emerging as yet another in the new breed of "lead by example" captains (ponting, inzy, dravid?)
**Andrew Flintoff**: played an integral role in England's Ashes victory, only Warne had more wickets in 2005
**Shane Warne**: has taken 90 wickets thus far @ 22, one of the few Aussie standouts during the Ashes debacle
**Glenn McGrath**: combined average below 20, dominating as usual, enough said

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Cricketer of the year: Warne, but ONLY because he has performed in all the series he has played this year whereas Flintoff, even though he practically won England the Ashes, only performed brilliantly in the one. [Even if it IS the most important series in existence.]
New comer of the year: Tie between Hussey and Pieterson. Pieterson may have been average in Pakistan, but he still scored a century and the sub-continent isn't really the best place for his style of batting. Hussey has dominated, can't go past him.
Innings of the year: Ponting's knock in the Ashes, brilliant captains knock. Lara's 226 and McCullum's 50*[25] deserve mentions.
Bowling performance of the year: McGrath at Lords, and Warne's collective Ashes performance.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the Year - Freddie Flintoff

New Comer of the Year - Dhoni vs Kamran Akmal - tight
others - Hussey - my vote goes to Mahendra Singh Dhoni !!

Innings of the year - Jacques Rudolph to save the Test !!

Bowling performance of the year - Stuart Macgill v Rest of the World or Simon Jones in the Ashes Test (can't remember which -possibly the 4th Test)

I think Simon Jones gets my vote !

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricketer of the year: Warne
New comer of the year (with a basis for what entails a new comer): Pietersen
Innings of the year: Ponting's at Old Trafford on Day 5
Bowling performance of the year: Collectively Pakistan in the 1st and 3rd test. Both looked like Pakistan wouldn't win them (England to win the 1st, draw in the 3rd) but Pakistan turned the match.

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cricketer of the Year: Shane Warne

Runners up : Inzamam ul Haq, Andrew Flintoff

Newcomer of the Year: A tie between MS Dhoni and Micheal Hussey

Runner up : Kevin Pietersen

Innings of the Year: MS Dhoni's 183* At Jaipur

Test Innings of the Year: Kevin Pietersen on the last day of the Ashes

Bowling performance of the year:(Odi's) Shane Bond vs India At harare

Bowling Performance of the year (tests): Warne in the Ashes

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Voting to confer awards for

Cricketer of the year
New comer of the year (with a basis for what entails a new comer)
Innings of the year
Bowling performance of the year

etc etc can be done.
1. Cricketer of the year is a toss up between Warne & freddie, but i'm going to have to give Warne the nod he hasn't put a foot wrong all year while Fred lost a bit of spark with a below par performance in Pakistan.

2. Tight between, KP, Hussey & Dhoni. But i'll go Hussey over KP by a whisker since to date he has done anything wrong just made the most of all his oppurtunities

3. Innings of the year for be is Ponting one at OT which i am thankful that i saw live at the group, great skippers knock.

4. Bowling performace of the year has to go to McGrath at lord's, dalm one of the best fast bowling you'll ever see.