• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff an overrated batsman ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think White was a real all-rounder in the sense that he'd be selected for either his batting or his bowling alone, but for a brief while he was a very useful 3rd/4th seaming option who could bowl at 90mph+ & reverse the ageing ball. It's just a pity his body was ill-equiped to deal with the rigours of bowling fast. His batting was rather more hit-and-miss, but he was just about worthy of being a test 7 when on-song.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Is Rikki Clarke making a comeback to the England Team?
He had a half-decent season last year - I reckon he will get another go in the national side at some time.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
He had a half-decent season last year - I reckon he will get another go in the national side at some time.
So do I.

*shudders in fear*

Although I think he's more likely to be picked as a Collingwood-esque bits-and-pieces man (his fielding is very good) than as a genuine all-rounder. If Colly got injured I'd probably consider him, briefly. Then I'd choose the extra batsman. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
yes then & then he followed it up with some good performances in PAK & SRI with bat & ball. For at that time i thought he was on the road to becoming one, then the 2001 ashes & he fell away.
PAK - 178 @ 59.33 & 9 @ 30.44 maybe, but what was good about 96 @ 19.2 & 4 @ 59.25.

Added to the fact that he was past 30 at the time, how is that showing potential?!

a massive zebra

International Captain
The great Sydney Pardon wrote this about an underachieving Edwardian batsman but I think it also applies pretty well to Flintoff.

"That Pool has not taken a higher place among the batsmen of the day may be attributed in some extent to a pronounced impetuosity. He has all the strokes a batsman could wish for, and when set always plays fine cricket, his driving being a model of certainty and power, but unfortunately he seldom takes the pains to play himself in, and in consequence his really good innings are few and far between. He has as much natural talent as many batsmen who have achieved fame, but its full development has been ******** by faults of temperament."