• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think are the brightest prospects out of....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
1) Yuvraj Singh
2) Ian Bell
3) Michael Clarke
40 Salman Butt
5) Jacques Rudolph
6) Marlon Samuels
7) Mohamad Ashraful

And....
1) Shaun Tait
2) malinga
3) Rudra Pratap Singh
4) Fidel Edwards
5) Umar Gul
6) Plunkett

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dubya said:
1) Yuvraj Singh
2) Ian Bell
3) Michael Clarke
40 Salman Butt
5) Jacques Rudolph
6) Marlon Samuels
7) Mohamad Ashraful

And....
1) Shaun Tait
2) malinga
3) Rudra Pratap Singh
4) Fidel Edwards
5) Umar Gul
6) Plunkett

Umar Gul is easily the most talented bowler in that lot. He is followed by RP Singh then Plunkett.
I rate Plunkett over Tait who I think is rubbish - he will never amount to much.

With the batting defeintely Clarke, Bell and Salman are the best prospects.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
1) Needs more consistency with the bat, definately can play, but I think he needs a stronger mental toughness, the times I've watched him bat he seems to throw it away, as opposed to the opposition getting him out.
2) I think has proven himself to be a great talent, albeit prone to some stupidity at times [He's English, whaddya expect :p]
3) Has a classy look about him, kind of like Mark Waugh. Needs to stop poking outside the off stump.
4) Same as above, with less class and more gritty determination.
5) Very up & down for mine, but still young. His century against Australa was a true fighting innnings, if he can produce more of them and consistently, he'll be a very good player by careers end.
6) Been around forever and has done nothing much. Needs to put runs on the board.
7) Belting Aus around would've shown the world that he can bat on a world stage, and hopefully he can lead some Bangladeshi sides to victory in the future.

Out of the batsman, I think Salman or Bell are the most likely to have fruitful test careers. Can't be bothered doing the bowlers induvidually, but I'll say Plunkett because he really impressed me in Pakistan. Tait needs to improve a lot but can be great also.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuvraj has been around for a long time, but is probably showing his true talent now (3-4 years later). However he's young, and has plenty of time on his hands. That being said, as good a talent as he is I do think Butt will have the best career out of those listed. He's shown he can score against Australia, and the more he tours he'll get used to seaming and bouncy tracks and continue to improve. Clarke will obviously be great as well, and I really hope Rudolph is prosperous too. Bell looks like he'll be a very gritty test player, and be an asset for England.

Out of the bowlers, I like the look of Plunkett but he's still fairly indisciplined when it comes to line and length, but he's only 20 years old and had his debut tour on Pakistan flat wickets. Plus his added ability with the bat helps. However I think his greatest asset is his temperament. He's looked so comfortable at international level, whether he be doing well or getting spanked. Even his first international test wicket and when he was on a hat-trick in the ODIs, he didn't overly celebrate, it was just like he knew he could do it, went up and appealed and then was satisfied. No huge jump or large enthusiastic celebration. It feels like he belongs. Its kind of hard to explain but its something I've noticed whilst watching the Eng/Pak tour. Its different to the Pietersen aura who fitted in the team straight away due to his confidence and popularity. With Plunkett its something else, just can't think of the word. He'll definitely be a good talent though.

Haven't seen enough of RP Singh or Gul, but I've heard good things. Tait will be a solid performer, but I reckon will be injury prone and won't have the discipline of Plunkett.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
From the list of batters, I'd go with Jacques Rudolph, Salman Butt or Ian Bell - all are probably established players anyhow so it's a no-contest.
The bowlers? Well, I've been singing the praises of Liam Plunkett for well over 2 years now - and I expect Tim Bresnan to be the next one to break through too. Tait is all brawn and no brain at the moment, but heck, what fast bowler at his stage of development in the game wasn't? He could be a high flyer - I wouldn't be surprised.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Probably Clarke in the batters. Bowlers Im not sure about.

Merry Xmas from Canada (via Australia)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dubya said:
1) Yuvraj Singh
2) Ian Bell
3) Michael Clarke
40 Salman Butt
5) Jacques Rudolph
6) Marlon Samuels
7) Mohamad Ashraful

And....
1) Shaun Tait
2) malinga
3) Rudra Pratap Singh
4) Fidel Edwards
5) Umar Gul
6) Plunkett
I haven't seen many of these players, but I'd rule out Yuvraj Singh, Rudolph and Ashraful in the batting department. One of the other bowlers would have to be pretty special to have brighter prospects than Plunkett, I can't think of many players who've played Tests and ODIs for England and bowled near to 90mph at the age of 20. As said earlier he's also shown an incredible temperament, he didn't have the best of control and was playing in foreign conditions, but he still played a huge part in the first ODI victory and held his nerve in the second victory.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I'd say Michael Clarke, Salman Butt and closely folowed by Ian Bell and Mohammad Ashraful. In the bowling i would say Umar Gul, Fidel Edwards and Liam Plunkett...(RP Singh excluded from the list in this because i have not seen him bowl yet).

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Batsmen : Clarke, then Butt. I just dont like how Yuvraj plays against spin, usuallylooks clueless. Though, I havent seen him bat during the SL series.
Bowlers : Plunkett

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
All of the batsmen bar Samuels and Ashraful (perhaps).
Of the bowlers, Plunkett could be OK, RP Singh as well. The others aren't all that impressive and Gul is too injury-prone.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj Singh will remain in the Indian side for a long time I think, he won't be a Tendulkar but he'll make a name for himself and his best is still to come.

Bell has the temperament to do well but only having seen him in the Ashes I can't make a fair judgement.

Clarke's the most talented out of the group. Able to use him feet to the spinners and keep the runs ticking over. He has huge potential but sadly I think he'll fluorish more as a ODI player than a test batsman.

Salmat Butt is the brightest prospect out of that group. He can adapt to whatever conditions he's facing and has a reasonable technique. Good cricketing brain, good eye and is friends with the right people. He could turn out to be something very special.

Rudolph showed in Perth how he handles pressure but is a bit too limited to become a great player. Much like Yuvraj, he'll remain a consistent performer for South Africa but not set the world on fire.

Marlon Samuels, another cricketer with potential but like Ashraful I doubt that he'll show it very often. Doesn't ever tend to have a good streak. Just a couple of good performances then goes cold.

Ashraful is incredibly talented but is likely to produce a sizzling hundred then going missing for 6 months. Doesn't have the brains to be a world class player. Aftab, Nafis and Nafees on the other hand...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James90 said:
Marlon Samuels, another cricketer with potential but like Ashraful I doubt that he'll show it very often. Doesn't ever tend to have a good streak. Just a couple of good performances then goes cold.
When he actually did have a hot streak (in India in 2002), he was dropped from the team throughout the World Cup. On that tour of India he was sensational though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Yuvraj will have a better career than most people here seem to think. Same with Rudolph. Having said that, I still think the best of that lot would be Clarke and Butt. Bell, I think, will be solid without being much else.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dubya said:
1) Yuvraj Singh
2) Ian Bell
3) Michael Clarke
40 Salman Butt
5) Jacques Rudolph
6) Marlon Samuels
7) Mohamad Ashraful

And....
1) Shaun Tait
2) malinga
3) Rudra Pratap Singh
4) Fidel Edwards
5) Umar Gul
6) Plunkett
all of the batsmen bar Rudolph & Yuvraj who have been around for a while & have been quite inconsistent.While all the bowlers their i think have potential to mount to something with the exception of Singh because i have never seen him bowl...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
I rate Plunkett over Tait who I think is rubbish - he will never amount to much.
Fair enough if u rate Plunks over Tait but to say he rubbish & will never mount to much is nonsense. A guy at his young age who can take break the record for the most wickets in an australian domestic season (which is probably the thoughest domestic competition in the world) definately has potential.

adharcric

International Coach
Dubya said:
1) Yuvraj Singh
2) Ian Bell
3) Michael Clarke
40 Salman Butt
5) Jacques Rudolph
6) Marlon Samuels
7) Mohamad Ashraful

And....
1) Shaun Tait
2) malinga
3) Rudra Pratap Singh
4) Fidel Edwards
5) Umar Gul
6) Plunkett
Bell and Rudolph will be solid. Clarke, Butt and Yuvraj have the potential to be tremendous. Among the bowlers, they can all be solid performers. I've seen Gul's destructive ability, Tait apparently sprays it around too much, Plunkett I've heard is impressive, Malinga is quite dangerous, Edwards looks inconsistent and wayward, RP Singh could become a steady 3rd seamer for India (not a star though, something like what Sami is when in form).