cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aussie calibre likely to prove too strong for england

Cricket Spectator donwasaverage's Avatar

aussie calibre likely to prove too strong for england

although at the moment they don't have any obvious successors to mcgrath and warne only a fool would bet against them finding or moulding a new generation of first rate bowlers and as far as batting is concerned it says it all that two middle order, middle aged players can come into test cricket and immediately start scoring very heavily against quality attacks. agreed it could be argued that their ageing team is testimony to a lack of young talent but i doubt i'm the only one to think they will turn promising youth into world beaters in a way no other team can consistently manage. for every katich and clarke that goes off the boil there'll be a hodge and hussey in replacement for many reasons not least their climate, space, facilities and enthusiasm.

england on the other hand seems destined to only very occassionally produce a special team/individual capable of taking them on because the sport's popularity is severely compromised by long, dark, cold winters, the dominance of football and a rampant lack of interest or understanding among the bulk of the working class. many will become momentarily jingoistic when we beat the aussies at home but few will care how we do in lahore.

this is why i believe australia will regain the ashes and most likely keep them for as long as before.

on the other hand if we're fully fit and find a decent spinner...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    6 months ago I don't think anyone on here would've seriously disagreed.

Then the Ashes happened.

Now I don't know what to think!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

To win in Australia I really think they're going to need to find a top notch spinner.

The rest of the team is definately good enough.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    To win in Australia I really think they're going to need to find a top notch spinner.
    Not really. Most of England's famous wins in Australia (1932-33, 1954-55, 1986-87) have come through fantastic fast bowling. England have more than enough pacemen to snatch wins in Brisbane and Perth, if only their batsmen can hold their nerve amid Warne and McGrath's (likely) last hurrah.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

I'd think that McGrath would stay for the World Cup. If England could win at Brisbane then they'd have a really good chance of taking out the series.
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    Not really. Most of England's famous wins in Australia (1932-33, 1954-55, 1986-87) have come through fantastic fast bowling. England have more than enough pacemen to snatch wins in Brisbane and Perth, if only their batsmen can hold their nerve amid Warne and McGrath's (likely) last hurrah.
    The WACA is now unfortunately a road, hardly any bounce. I understand the new curator is trying to get it back to what it used to be like, but at the moment it accomodates spin a lot more than pace IMO.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    6 months ago I don't think anyone on here would've seriously disagreed.

Then the Ashes happened.

Now I don't know what to think!
    I think that England is definately good enough to go toe to toe with Australia and come out on top when at full strength and things go their way. In my opinion a lot has to do with the confidence of the English team if they are on a roll and everyone in their country, including the press believe in them, then they are a different force.

On Australian soil, I also think that they would give Australia a good run for their money if the little things went their way. The challenge would be tougher, but you surely couldn't write England off.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Regarding bench strength -

The bowling is definitely a concern - like shown in India's tour of Australia to a large degree and other tests where Australia has missed Warne/McGrath due to injuries.

Batting - There is a difference between test cricket of the highest level between two good teams and Australian FC cricket. Every Australian player who plays well in FC cricket wont be a success internationally. So the Australian batting bench strength - which definitely exists - is still not as strong as it is perceived to be IMO.

Regarding bowling bench strength, I don't think it's as weak as it's percieved to be. Sure, no bowlers have come through and set the world on fire. But you look at the starts of most of the best bowlers in the world today, not many blew sides away. None of these bowlers [Bracken, Clark, Lewis, etc] have played more than a handful of tests because of the McGrath, Warne, Gillespie, Kasper & Lee dominance of positions in the International sides.

Everyone needs some experience and a dozen or so test matches to really find their feet and adjust to the pressures of test cricket.

As I said in the post - how long will Australia Dominate - I think England although they played really well won largely because the Australians played below their normal performance. (This was shown by their loss to Bangladesh and also by Englands loss to Pakistan a team Australia demolished last year - essentially consisting of the same players v England) So in my opion Australia on their day are still to strong for England even if England play their best. ofcourse we will have to see what happens this time next year!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Run like Inzy
    As I said in the post - how long will Australia Dominate - I think England although they played really well won largely because the Australians played below their normal performance. (This was shown by their loss to Bangladesh and also by Englands loss to Pakistan a team Australia demolished last year - essentially consisting of the same players v England) So in my opion Australia on their day are still to strong for England even if England play their best. ofcourse we will have to see what happens this time next year!
    I agree with RLI
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

England in England are a better side than Australia, it wasn't England playing way above themselves and Australia playing absolutely abysmally for 5 Tests, that just does not happen for that length of time with two teams who desperately want to beat each other.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

I don't know about better, but definately on par.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    England in England are a better side than Australia, it wasn't England playing way above themselves and Australia playing absolutely abysmally for 5 Tests, that just does not happen for that length of time with two teams who desperately want to beat each other.
    For once I agree with Scaly. If it were a 2 or 3 test series (Maybe 4 but even that's pushing it) I could understand the argument that Australia played below themselves. However over 5 tests (25 days of cricket since they all went the distance (Or did Lords end on day 4? Bah can't remember that for some reason)) the better team will win. England played better cricket (probably the best they can play) and stopped Australia from being at their best. That Australian team is better IMO than the current Australian team by quite a distance. I don't mean on form, because obviously Hayden is now scoring runs and Lee is bowling well, I just mean on paper. Yet England completely outplayed them. Why? Because they are an awesome team at home, and they played to their potential (all their pace bowlers stood up when they needed to be counted).

I think McGrath missing a couple of tests and not being at 100% for the 3rd and 5th had a lot to do with the result, but Australia playing below themselves was not a factor. England made them play below themselves by bowling absolutely brilliantly, and somehow batting extremely well despite their batting line-up looking quite suspect.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    For once I agree with Scaly. If it were a 2 or 3 test series (Maybe 4 but even that's pushing it) I could understand the argument that Australia played below themselves. However over 5 tests (25 days of cricket since they all went the distance (Or did Lords end on day 4? Bah can't remember that for some reason)) the better team will win. England played better cricket (probably the best they can play) and stopped Australia from being at their best. That Australian team is better IMO than the current Australian team by quite a distance. I don't mean on form, because obviously Hayden is now scoring runs and Lee is bowling well, I just mean on paper. Yet England completely outplayed them. Why? Because they are an awesome team at home, and they played to their potential (all their pace bowlers stood up when they needed to be counted).

I think McGrath missing a couple of tests and not being at 100% for the 3rd and 5th had a lot to do with the result, but Australia playing below themselves was not a factor. England made them play below themselves by bowling absolutely brilliantly, and somehow batting extremely well despite their batting line-up looking quite suspect.
    Our bowlers definitely held their hands up, but I still think the Oz top 7 (Langer &, to lesser extent, Punter excepted) were pretty disappointing. I guess you could say they only played as well as we allowed them to play, but it's a bit chicken & egg for me.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There is presumably such a thing as a good second-ball duck. This was not one of them." - Barney Ronay on James Vince's innings v. Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information