• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think this is true?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well I'm average height and I can't do either.

Malcolm Marshall and Matthew Hayden suggest this doesn't hold true as a fact, but as a general rule taller guys will obviously get more bounce, and shorter batsmen can pull and hook fuller balls, which are generally lower risk shots than drives.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Massive generalisation, but there is something in it, yes. I'd say tall blokes make better seamers rather than better bowlers per se tho. Neither Murali or Warne is very tall, although Vettori, Kumble & Gilo are.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
im one of the better bowlers in my team but im "4ft8in"
but im one of the worst batsmen
so there you go

a massive zebra

International Captain
Batting geniuses like Bradman, Hobbs, Lara, Tendulkar and Gavaskar were/are all pretty short and it surely cannot be just coincidence.

deeps

International 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
shorter batsmen can pull and hook fuller balls, which are generally lower risk shots than drives.

Not really. Steve Waugh stopped playing the hook/pull because it was a risky shot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
Well I'm average height and I can't do either.

Malcolm Marshall and Matthew Hayden suggest this doesn't hold true as a fact, but as a general rule taller guys will obviously get more bounce, and shorter batsmen can pull and hook fuller balls, which are generally lower risk shots than drives.
Huh? A pull or hook is clearly more risky than a drive.

irfan

State Captain
In response to the original question. no1gangsta makes a sweeping generalisation based purely on height rather than talent and skill on a particular facet (bowling/batting) of the game. In saying that, by and large he is right most succesful batsman are short and most great bowlers are tall but you will always get a few exceptions hayden, pietersen,edwards, marshall etc and having the suggested height doesnt make u an automatic bowler/batter but it's ever so slightly easier to succeed.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
33/3from3.3 said:
im one of the better bowlers in my team but im "4ft8in"
but im one of the worst batsmen
so there you go
Yes, but we're talking about grown-ups cricket.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
definately...

tendulkar, ponting and lara... the contemporary greats and Bradman,Hobbs and Gavaskar the old blokes are all very short. Garner, Ambrose and Akram (three names that spring to mind) are all big guys.

Of course there are going to be exceptions to every rule, but this one you're spot on

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I think it is an advantage to be a tall bowler or a short batsmen but it doesnt mean that a tall person is always going to better at bowling and rubbish at batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Run like Inzy said:
I think it is an advantage to be a tall bowler or a short batsmen but it doesnt mean that a tall person is always going to better at bowling and rubbish at batting.
again, I agree fully with Run like Inzy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
Huh? A pull or hook is clearly more risky than a drive.
I've clearly been scarred by growing up watching Mike Atherton get caught in the slips every other over.

No idea what I'm talking about...