• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

BoyBrumby

Englishman
social said:
AC/DC went to Strathfield High (but only till the age of 13) if that's what youre after.
I thought the Youngs hailed from chilly Jockoland originally? That said, Strathfield High could be in Glasgow for all I know! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I thought the Youngs hailed from chilly Jockoland originally? That said, Strathfield High could be in Glasgow for all I know! :D
They did - born in Glasgow. Bon Scott was born in Jockland too.

Going off to listen to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
They did - born in Glasgow. Bon Scott was born in Jockland too.

Going off to listen to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap now.
Didnt stop us from claiming the Bee Gees.

Uh, sorry, think I'll scuttle back into my hole and watch "Family Jewels" (dvd of AC/DC's film clips and an Xmas present from my eight week old son, if you must know)

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
greg said:
Take it. Revising for your exams whilst pretending to watch the cricket at Edgbaston. Glorious.
Cambridge offer from Christs coll... Four As and S Paper (ya, i took it in sing, silly me) distinction. Dunno if i shud be happy they think Im good enough or irritated at the harsh offer.

tooextracool

International Coach
simmy said:
All will go well if England get Simon Jones back to his Ashes form... and the batting sorts itself. Looks like Bell is going to be a decent enough #4 on the back of the Pakistan tour, but people like Vaughan, Strauss and Flintoff need to be counted with the bat.
i cant see flintoff scoring too many more with the bat than he did in pakistan to be honest. IMO this really should be vaughans last chance to prove himself with the bat, england simplay need to consider that trescothick isnt considerably worse as captain, and that their batting needs more stability.

tooextracool

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Likewise an Indian order which is used to taking apart mediocre spinners who are there just because "everyone plays two spinners in India" will instead have to contend with three 90mph+ reverse-swing bowlers. Should be interesting.
3? whether or not flintoff can reverse swing the ball in the subcontinent is still a question mark, because he certainly didnt manage any of it in the series in pakistan. assuming the other player is anderson, he wont get a game unless one of the others is injured.

tooextracool

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I don't like Hoggard, the guy pretty much only swings the newish ball and I think he will struggle in India. I'd like to see Anderson get another crack at Test cricket, or even Plunkett, who impressed me in Pakistan, before Hoggard, but it's unlikely to happen, so here's my squad.

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan*
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
G Jones+
Giles
Hoggard
S Jones
Harmison
**Anderson
**Plunkett
**Prior
**Blackwell
**Collingwood

I predict and India 2 - 0 or a 1 - 1 if the English can handle Kumble and Harby well enough.
what in the world is blackwell doing in the test side? and liam plunkett really isnt good enough for test match cricket ATM.

tooextracool

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
Yes, I'm picking Hoggard. He's the best swinger of the new ball in England, and you're not going to prosper in the subcontinent without that. I'm also packing two extra pacemen - they wither left and right in the subcontinental heat. An idea of mine is to move Geraint up to 6 - to reduce the load on Fred and give Jones a taste of responsibility in the top 6 by encouraging him to build an innings.
hoggard most certainly hasnt been successful in the subcontinent in the past and that isnt going to change this time around. further swing or no swing, i cant understand how we would need another swing bowler in the side when flintoff and jones are both playing.
i do agree with you about the geraint ahead of flintoff for the subcontinent, although i still believe that geraint shouldnt be playing test cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
IMO this really should be vaughans last chance to prove himself with the bat, england simplay need to consider that trescothick isnt considerably worse as captain, and that their batting needs more stability.
Woah woah woah. Are we talking tests here? Dropping Vaughan in tests and making Tresco captain... the Same Trescothick who you believed should have been dropped pre-Ashes? :p

So now Tresco is the better test batsman than Vaughan in your opinion? I think he is, but I'm surprised you do.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Woah woah woah. Are we talking tests here? Dropping Vaughan in tests and making Tresco captain... the Same Trescothick who you believed should have been dropped pre-Ashes? :p

So now Tresco is the better test batsman than Vaughan in your opinion? I think he is, but I'm surprised you do.
Vaughan has been shocking in tests for a while now, and it doesnt take too much to have been a better player than him. i still dont rate trescothick as highly as most other people do, but i do think that hes improved against his weakness outside the off stump and with the side as inexperienced as it is already tresco is quite valuable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
what in the world is blackwell doing in the test side?
I strongly doubt he'll be anywhere near the squad - it's just about OK picking bits and pieces in ODIs...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
3? whether or not flintoff can reverse swing the ball in the subcontinent is still a question mark, because he certainly didnt manage any of it in the series in pakistan. assuming the other player is anderson, he wont get a game unless one of the others is injured.

Well actually A lot of Pakistanis pointed out before the tour that England would not reverse swing it as much as in the Ashes.....the Kookaburra ball doesn not reverse swing as much as the English duke ones.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Salamuddin said:
Well actually A lot of Pakistanis pointed out before the tour that England would not reverse swing it as much as in the Ashes.....the Kookaburra ball doesn not reverse swing as much as the English duke ones.
But the SG ball reverse swings a lot.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
But the SG ball reverse swings a lot.
But not as much as the Duke one. Trust me......in Peshawar my club has played with all three balls....the Duke swings like crazy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I will take your word for it. I have never played with the Duke ball. I have played with the other two though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
Vaughan has been shocking in tests for a while now, and it doesnt take too much to have been a better player than him. i still dont rate trescothick as highly as most other people do, but i do think that hes improved against his weakness outside the off stump and with the side as inexperienced as it is already tresco is quite valuable.
BTw, TEC, I meant to ask.....were you born in Hindustan or are you an Englishman
who works in IT indutsry in Bangalore.

Has your family lived in Hindustan since the days of the British Raj ?