• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
social said:
Then how do you rate Hussey?

He is averaging nearly 80 (or 30 per innings more than Dhoni) at a strike-rate of 100.

As I said, Dhoni being ranked first is ludicrous
How do I rate Hussey? I rate him as the 2nd best ODI batsman behind Ponting, and I made it clear above that I'd take him first ahead of KP and Dhoni.

I think its obvious I rate Hussey high when I immediately asked adharcric where he was ranked when he posted that Dhoni was #1.

If I had to give you a likely reason why he's only ranked #6, it'd be the amount of runs he's scored in the past 9-10 months. Because he bats later he's had less opportunities to score bigger scores. For example Dhoni's 183* would have got him heaps of points, because 1) its a hell of a lot of runs and 2) it was against Sri Lanka, who at the time were the #2 ranked ODI team in the world. Hussey obviously hasn't come up the order very often (SA 434 game excluded) and so he loses out here.
social said:
Unfortunately, there are obvious deficiencies in the system.

After all, we recently had a situation where Jacques Kallis reclaimed his mantle as the world's best all-rounder from Flintoff. Just how does that reflect current form or recent impact?
Why does everyone use that example? :dry:

As Liam pointed out, those rankings ARE actually flawed and hence no one really quotes it on the message boards.

And once again no one is using these rankings as gospel. Is it really that hard to realise that the rankings are based on form?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The allrounder ratings are significantly more flawed than the batting/bowling ratings. That's because it deals with more than one discipline. An excellent batting allrounder or bowling allrounder may therefore rank higher than an excellent allrounder.
Beat me to to it.

I think I'm right in saying that Flintoff has created another first with this latest set of ratings.

He's in the top 20 batting and bowling for both Tests and ODIs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
Beat me to to it.

I think I'm right in saying that Flintoff has created another first with this latest set of ratings.

He's in the top 20 batting and bowling for both Tests and ODIs.
Well, I am not really surprised. I would actually expect him to be in the top 10 of both batting and bowling in both tests and ODIs by the end of the year, if he can get his ODI batting form sorted out. I think he will easily be in the top 10 of bowling in both tests and ODIs. HIs test batting is improving with every outing, the odd stupid slog notwithstanding and I think if he sorts out his ODI batting, there is a very good chance of that happening.

adharcric

International Coach
Personally, I don't see that happening. The bowling part has a real good chance, but there are far too many batsmen very consistently doing what he needs to 'try' to do with a little consistency. If it happens, that'll be quite a feat, but I wouldn't count on it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The thing with his Test batting is that is still on a pretty much upward slope, he's at a new career best at the moment, and has in a way conquered his demons with that run of consistency in India.

adharcric

International Coach
He definitely showed some consistency in the tests against India, but I wasn't as convinced as I would've liked because he seemed to benefit from a lot of good fortune (near-chances, dropped chances, etc) in his innings (not saying he's not a good batsman, I just expected more assured innings).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
He definitely showed some consistency in the tests against India, but I wasn't as convinced as I would've liked because he seemed to benefit from a lot of good fortune (near-chances, dropped chances, etc) in his innings (not saying he's not a good batsman, I just expected more assured innings).
Wasn't everyone dropped or missed in that series? The reports are that the fielding wasn't exactly world class.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Keeping was ordinary too, just to top it off. And the drops and missed stumpings weren't useless either, Jones' of Kumble in the 1st test was vital, and Dhoni's missed stumping of Flintoff in the 3rd was critical as well.

adharcric

International Coach
Exactly. That's why it's tough to rate batsmen based solely on that series, especially if they benefitted from that shoddy fielding.