• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
LE, where in England are you ?

I was in London from 21st till 27th of this month and it would have been great to meet up with you.
Derby, about 110 miles north of London.

Next time, perhaps?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot has been said of who should make the England squad and who should take the field. Let's look at some players from India who should make the Indian Test side, especially those who didn't make the team for the Pakistan series.

The other opener- One opener should be persisted with in all three matches against Pakistan, and the other should play the full series against England. Jaffer is in fantastic form in Ranji, and is also scoring quickly, and hittign big shots, so he may just make the XI in Pakistan. If not, he should play the full series against England, and the same can be said of Gambhir.

Joginder Sharma- The decision to leave him out of the Pakistan squad was silly, given the presence of Agarkar and Patel. His last Ranji match was a disappointment, but he's been impressive otherwise. His batting, like that of Kaif (a Test contender), involves pinching gaps and running singles, though he can hit a few big ones too. He's a swing bowler, and the outswinger is his stock delivery. He bowls straight, and has a few variations too, though we don't need that buffet ball which comes up from short of a length and on the knees. Very effective on the field.

Zaheer Khan or VR Singh or Sreesanth- One's an in-form, power-playing seam bowler, while the other is said to be a rare tearaway pacer in India. On present form, Zaheer will make the XI against Pakistan, but if he doesn't make it here, VR Singh is the best alternative. VR Singh is very tall, and can get good pace and bounce. Not to mention, he is very useful on the field, unlike what we have seen of Zaheer. Can't say much of Sreesanth, except that he's fast, but looks underpowered, and he too is a good fielder.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Derby, about 110 miles north of London.

Next time, perhaps?
My brother is now moving to Birmingham (Warwick University) so next time I will be closer to Derby. :)

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
The other opener- One opener should be persisted with in all three matches against Pakistan, and the other should play the full series against England. Jaffer is in fantastic form in Ranji, and is also scoring quickly, and hittign big shots, so he may just make the XI in Pakistan. If not, he should play the full series against England, and the same can be said of Gambhir.
I would agree in general, unless something unlooked for happens in the Pakistan series. It wont help anyone but the opposition if you keep changing openers every match. In fact I would give gambhir this Pakistan series to prove himself since he's already been in the side for awhile.

What say sending sehwag down and opening with Gambhir and Jaffer? Its an experiment, and somewhat risky but would be a good way to compare both batsmen under identical conditions. But with Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid to follow, that would mean removing the number 6 batsman - Yuvraj, who's been handy down there or Ganguly, which will result in more air pollution (burning effigies).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
And Birmingham University ;)
I was discussing proper universities. You'll be telling me that Liverpool's got a 'Red Brick' university next.

The only time scousers use the term 'Red Brick' is when they put their cars on top of four piles of them.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I was discussing proper universities.
What do you mean by that?? I got an offer from Birmingham and was seriously considering it, unless LSE, UCL or Cambridge send something soon.

greg

International Debutant
pug said:
What do you mean by that?? I got an offer from Birmingham and was seriously considering it, unless LSE, UCL or Cambridge send something soon.
Take it. Revising for your exams whilst pretending to watch the cricket at Edgbaston. Glorious.

LE's making a joke about polys. Coventry, Aston, John Moores...

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
greg said:
Take it. Revising for your exams whilst pretending to watch the cricket at Edgbaston. Glorious.

Cool. Anyways its the only offer I have so far. :mellow:

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Ah, come on guys! Positive!
Come on, this is true to form on Cricketweb.

Your follow countrymen (not saying you) and other neutrals wrote off England before the Ashes and England won. People gave India as much chance of competing with Australia in 03/04 as you would of winning the lottery and it was far from the case.

So at this rate England will play a lot better then this. I would expect so, I mean they have faced quality spin in Asia and have won Test series. And people like Kumble and Harbhajan have played a far bit of CC so some of he newer members if the team (ie Bell, KP, or to an extent Collingwood) probably would have faced them somewhere along the lines.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
So at this rate England will play a lot better then this. I would expect so, I mean they have faced quality spin in Asia and have won Test series. And people like Kumble and Harbhajan have played a far bit of CC so some of he newer members if the team (ie Bell, KP, or to an extent Collingwood) probably would have faced them somewhere along the lines.
Oh, we'd hammer India in England, but doing it in India is going to be very difficult.

I mean, the Aussies in their pomp found it very difficult.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
pug said:
Cool. Anyways its the only offer I have so far. :mellow:
The best thing I can say about Birmingham is that it's sufficiently far away from both London and Manchester to be bearable.

Actually, the best thing I can say about Birmingham is that Black Sabbath originated from there.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:

I went to Aston University once.

It was to take my entrance examination for Mensa.

It was harder to find the university than to pass the exam.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Actually, the best thing I can say about Birmingham is that Black Sabbath originated from there.
This will make my rejection (if thats what it will be) from cambridge that much more bearable. Birmingham... a holy place for metal worshippers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pug said:
This will make my rejection (if thats what it will be) from cambridge that much more bearable. Birmingham... a holy place for metal worshippers.
AC/DC went to Strathfield High (but only till the age of 13) if that's what youre after.