• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Question RE: Super Sub and Power Plays

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just wondering, whether they'd been trialled in any sort of cricket before their implementation in One Day Internationals. I never remember hearing anything about it, and with the amount of teething problems that they've had, and how some aspects of it haven't worked as the ICC, and the teams, would have liked, there has seemed to have been a lot of "trial and error" about their implementation.

This, IMO, could end up being largely responsible for their possible withdrawal from use after the ICC's review in Januaray (which, I personally, hope takes away both innovations). But in essence, I just wish to know whether they'd been trialled in any sort of cricket before international stuff. If not, that's an enormous mistake by the ICC.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
All I know is that Inzamamam and Ponting have asked for the SuperSub rule to be scrapped.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I honestly think the super-sub rule could work really well with one minor change; allow captains to name a 13-man squad before the toss; the playing XI, the 'bowling-first' super-sub and the 'batting-first' super-sub. Then based on the toss, choose the final 12 from there.

As for the power-play rule, I feel that captains just haven't really thought too much about how they can use it to their advantage as yet. As it's currently used, it really is just the 15-over rule extended to 20-overs. With a bit of thought and imagination, I reckon it could be useful.

Of course, I'll have to think about examples which will back that statement up. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
As for the power-play rule, I feel that captains just haven't really thought too much about how they can use it to their advantage as yet. As it's currently used, it really is just the 15-over rule extended to 20-overs. With a bit of thought and imagination, I reckon it could be useful
Played a game where the opposition got off to a flyer, and so after the 10 overs finished (opposition was about 70-80) we threw on spinners for four overs with five fielders out and bowled the overs really quickly, and suddenly the momentum of the game had changed. A couple of wickets helped, but then used to power plays after that and it worked pretty well - end up finishing power plays at 24th over or something.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia did something similar to that against the World XI in the Super Series, game 2. They didn't bowl spinners, but after 10 overs they sent all the fielders out and got the wicket of Gayle. They then brought in their powerplay to the new batsman, and Kallis was under plenty of pressure. In theory, I reckon the powerplay rule can work, however when after 10 overs you have Rudi asking if Inzy wants to implement the powerplay because Inzy has forgotten to tell the umpires, its obvious we have a problem because its expected that they will run to 20 overs. Captains just aren't using it as well as they possibly can I guess.