• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shabbir cops 12 months

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I reckon its pretty much over already - 29 years old - 1 year ban - he will come back and loads of bowlers will have taken his place

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
The next time he is reported, that's it - career down the toilet.
Its terribly sad for a sportsman but the authorities and the coaches at junior levels in Pakistan need to get their act together and save future promising careers. They are the ones who have to take the blame for this.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I'm not too convinced by Shabbir TBH,he's had this stigma of chucking allegations for a long time and had plenty of time and help to correct his action but he is still chucking it.

I don't know about you,but when you've had as much warning as Shabbir has,it is very much the bowler who is a fault.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This ban is now being appealed:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/230597.html

The argument put forward against the ban in that article is, to put it mildly, utterly imbecilic.

As if Shabbir's persecution complex wasn't already firing on full cylinders he comes up with this corker "I hope to get justice because this whole episode has made me a depression patient". Of course, he's the one that's hard done after being caught chucking repeatedly and also helping to chuck Pakistan to victory...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:
Its terribly sad for a sportsman but the authorities and the coaches at junior levels in Pakistan need to get their act together and save future promising careers. They are the ones who have to take the blame for this.
Unfortunately, it's far easier to point a finger at faceless men within the ICC and claim conspiracy.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
I feel bad for him. It could be that naturally his arm is wierd. I mean have you seen hit bat? Looks like he is about to break any minute, the way he stands or swings. Unconventional in every essence.

Eitherway, I scream bloody hell every time I see Malinga bowl. I always think he chucks, I mean has anyone seen the guys arm? lol wtf. :blink:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
IMO, a sling not a chuck.
Yeah, I'd go along with that. Malinga is very round-armed in his action, but so are Edwards & Tait.

Aside from Shabbir the two most prominent seamers with the worst looking actions are Lawson &, of course, James Kirtley who I think is currently banned until he's corrected his kink.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Aside from Shabbir the two most prominent seamers with the worst looking actions are Lawson &, of course, James Kirtley who I think is currently banned until he's corrected his kink.
Yeah I remember Kirtley 'sorting out' his action, and looking just as bad against SA in 2003, probably hasn't improved much since then.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jack_sparrow said:
I feel bad for him. It could be that naturally his arm is wierd. I mean have you seen hit bat? Looks like he is about to break any minute, the way he stands or swings. Unconventional in every essence.

Eitherway, I scream bloody hell every time I see Malinga bowl. I always think he chucks, I mean has anyone seen the guys arm? lol wtf. :blink:
Malinga's arm is pretty straight - he uses a technique that many people have described as 'round arm', but it's nothing like (round-arm describes a horizontal arm at delivery, as pioneered by John Willes).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I don't think is a problem solely for Pakistan as nearly ever country has had problems with chuckers. Pretty much all the authories let these guys continually bowl with bad actions and when they play Test Cricket it is too late to fix them up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I'd go along with that. Malinga is very round-armed in his action, but so are Edwards & Tait.
Tait is not a round-arm bowler. At all. His front-leg collapses at the point of delivery to that he releases the ball from a much lower point than most more orthodox bowlers but his arm is as perpendicular to the ground as any of them. Other than the slinging aspect of his bowling, he has very little in common with either Malinga or Edwards.

Case in point;

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Top_Cat said:
Tait is not a round-arm bowler. At all. His front-leg collapses at the point of delivery to that he releases the ball from a much lower point than most more orthodox bowlers but his arm is as perpendicular to the ground as any of them. Other than the slinging aspect of his bowling, he has very little in common with either Malinga or Edwards.

Case in point;

Hardly perpendicular I'd say, but I've only seen him bowl in the two Ashes tests so I possibly haven't seen enough of him. Looked to me like he has a slingy action delivered from a relatively low trajectory based on those games tho.