• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite moment of 2005

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Discounting everything to do with the Ashes. :p

Obviously there's only one winner for an Englishman (see above), but other than that, it's got to be Bangladesh beating the Aussies - the ultimate underdog victory. A message to sporting rejects everywhere saying "It can be done".

Sachin's 35th century and Warne's breaking Lillee's record have got to be up there, too.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being at the C&G final to see hampshire win there first trophy for over a decade and the first i remember

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to be biased and say NZ's two big chases against Australia last week. I know it wasn't a full-strength Australian attack, but it felt so good.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Looking back,it's defintely got to be Australia'a defeat to Bangladesh and KP's stunning 91* at Bristol.

Or even the 2020,the start of a very bad tour for Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has to be the final ball of the second Ashes test for me. I remember thinking "how the hell have we lost this?" & then my mood was altered in a second to elation & then sheer relief. Richie's commentary was perfect too,

"Jones....Bowden." :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hodge's double century.
Pakistan's re-emergence as a fantastic OD side, from the VB series through to now.

open365

International Vice-Captain
^A fantastic ODI side?

I hope your not basing this just of the drubbing they've given England....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
open365 said:
^A fantastic ODI side?

I hope your not basing this just of the drubbing they've given England....
Fanstastic might be overstating it a bit, but their re-emergence as a unit over the past 12 months has been a major highlight for me. They arguably should have beaten Australia in the VB series, put in strong showings vs India, and have been competitive with and without star players.

Chubb

International Regular
This is pretty hard for a Zimbabwe supporter...

I guess the performances in some of the ODIs and the the first test against India. The "emergence", if you can call it that, of Podge Duffin, Chappie, Blessing and Ireland.

In the county game, probably all three 45ov and 2020 matches I saw at Taunton- Blackwell hitting Mustaq for four sixes in an over, which was probably the most thrilling bit of cricket I have witnessed in the flesh, until...

Going to see the first day of the ashes, sitting in the Pelham Warner Stand, despite what happened. I shall never forget it.

Leaving aside Edgbaston, Trent Bridge and the Oval.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan winning against England. It's not about sour grapes for me because I was happy to see England win the Ashes too. It's just that Pakistan are playing well and they're doing it in style. It's been a slow build to this point but they are now starting to play to their potential and consistently. The 3rd Test win was a decent metaphor for Pakistani cricket in 2005; in situations where the outcome of a match has seemsed a foregone conclusion, they've made somethign happen out of nothing. The joy and sense of fun they bring to every win is pretty infectious. The Aussies are hardened professionals and play each game along those lines but in Pakistan, they're the guys who are having fun. Fantastic to see. Great to see the re-emergence of Shoaib Akhtar, Inzi and Mohammed Yousuf too and the maturing of guys like Akmal and Butt makes Pakistan one tough team to beat right now.

So yeah the series was great but the 3rd Test win was just incredible.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bah. I've just discovered that my moment of the year apart from the Ashes came...on 29 December 2004. *mutter* (cookie to the one who can figure out what it was)

I don't really know, apart from the Ashes. Denmark doing well in the first matches of the ICC Trophy, maybe...(and then falling apart near the end...)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Bah. I've just discovered that my moment of the year apart from the Ashes came...on 29 December 2004. *mutter* (cookie to the one who can figure out what it was)

I don't really know, apart from the Ashes. Denmark doing well in the first matches of the ICC Trophy, maybe...(and then falling apart near the end...)
Hoggy trapping Fat Gray LBW? :)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Bangladesh defeating Australia at Cardiff
2. Bangladesh winning the ODI series against Zimbabwe, coming back from 2-0
3. First test victory
4. Ashraful's form in the NatWest Series

The NatWest Final was pretty good too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Been a good year of cricket, and most of my favourite moments are from a neutral perspective (bar one).

Top 5 (not including the Ashes as requested):
1. Bangladesh def Australia and Ashraful making his ton :cool:
2. Pakistan's 1st test win over England. Amazing come back, and what made it even better was the stuff some people had posted in regards to the Pakistan team a mere 2 days earlier. Yet they went on and won the match.
3. Sachin's record breaking 35th ton and Lara breaking Border's record for most runs (I'll tie them into one)
4. The emergence of Bravo throughout the Aus vs. WI series. Probably my favourite moment would have to be his catch off Warne, when he just went running around and no one could catch him. That was so cool, and just showed the enthusiasm he has for the game.
5. India getting themselves together and showing a lot of potential to be a good ODI team through their 6-1 win over SL and their gutsy 2-2 draw against SA.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
1. The Ashes. We may have lost, but because the series was so good it barely matters anymore.
2. Hussey's first test ton.
3. The Chappell-Hadlee series, some exciting cricket.
4. Warney's entire year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
My Top 5 discouting the entire ashes summer:

1. Warne's year - just superb
2. Australia's performance in the super-series
3. Lee 5 for at the Gabba
4. Symo's 156 in NZ
5. Gilchrist 2 gun-shot centuries in NZ