• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Ponting own the game of cricket??

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I find it very hard to see Ponting in a bad light, no matter what he does I tend to cheer him on :laughing: Call it bias, call it lack of brain, but I love our captain.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Okay, so these aren't direct quotes but mere examples [slightly exaggerated]:

Defence: "Sure, we're getting belted but it doesn't matter because we WON the ASHES."
Attack: "Your comment may have a slight bias towards Australian players and/or the team so SCREW YOU WHERE ARE YOUR ASHES NOW HUH?! HUH?!"

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
Defence: "Sure, we're getting belted but it doesn't matter because we WON the ASHES
.Attack: "Your comment may have a slight bias towards Australian players and/or the team so SCREW YOU WHERE ARE YOUR ASHES NOW HUH?! HUH?!""
:laugh:
AGREED. Thats how 90% of the english fans been behaving recently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well to be fair, up until they got whooped by Pakistan those comments were fair enough. Now the team has been brought down to Earth so its happening less often.

Rather than the English gloating about winning the Ashes, I think its more fun to just make fun of Ponting for the fact that he was the captain, not Border, Waugh or Taylor, to lose the Ashes after 88/89.

Langeveldt

Soutie
All I can say is that the Aussie's haven't just taken cricket to new levels.... You don't hear the Zimbos moaning about dodgy no ball calls after they get paid ten rand a month, he should wake up and see what a privelaged position he holds..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think that Ponting's on-field behaviour is sometimes made out to be worse than he is, and I certainly don't think he's significantly worse than other confrontational captains like Vaughan, Smith and Ganguly.

He is, however, a bit of a whiner, and inclined to overstep his bounds with on-field aggression and such at times, like the other three mentioned.

I don't know what anyone would have against Gilchrist though, other than that he happens to be Australian.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't know what anyone would have against Gilchrist though, other than that he happens to be Australian.
See above post - I love watching him bat, but rather like a large number of footballers, there's just some unknown quality about him I don't like. Maybe it's the ears.

Sudeep

International Captain
So what if he whines? He can bat, and that's what we as cricket fans should be looking to focus on. :p

Blaze

Banned
He is clear at the top of my list for hated cricketers. Just comes accross as a complete ********.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I haven't seen today's incident, but in The Ashes he crossed the line at least twice in my opinion. Firstly for his dissent in the Jones (S) LBW call from B Lee in our 2nd innings of the 2nd test. Now it did look stone dead, no arguments there, but there is a difference between questioning why a decision hasn't been given & openly disputing it.

The second occasion was obviously the Pratt run out incident in the 4th. I think (and this may be an overly generous view) it was the occasion getting to him in both instances. The enormity of becoming that man (as in "The Bloke Who Lost to The Poms") had rather got the better of him. I guess there was also the perception on the Aussies part that we were indulging in sharp practice regarding sub fielders too. Now that may or may not have been a genuine grievance, but having been run out when attempting a suicidal single isn't the proper channel to pursue it!

Still prefer him to Fat Gray any old day of the week tho. I couldn't imagine Punter giving evidence against his opposite number like Smith did last winter.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Still prefer him to Fat Gray any old day of the week tho. I couldn't imagine Punter giving evidence against his opposite number like Smith did last winter.
I know you hate him, but Fat Gray is actually a really nice bloke. I've met him twice. Just to **** on your parade. :p :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
I know you hate him, but Fat Gray is actually a really nice bloke. I've met him twice. Just to **** on your parade. :p :D
Sure, if you have a thing for mealy-mouthed, big-nosed lardos, he's right up there! :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Sure, if you have a thing for mealy-mouthed, big-nosed lardos, he's right up there! :D
Well, I guess I have been heard to praise Ian Blackwell in the past, so I do have a history of it. :p :D

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wasn't impressed with his reaction to the no-ball call for having only two men in the circle at Wellington, that was an absolutely fair call.

I do generally respect him most of the time though, even though he does tend to discuss things with the umpires a bit more than I'd like.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Okay, so these aren't direct quotes but mere examples [slightly exaggerated]:

Defence: "Sure, we're getting belted but it doesn't matter because we WON the ASHES."
Attack: "Your comment may have a slight bias towards Australian players and/or the team so SCREW YOU WHERE ARE YOUR ASHES NOW HUH?! HUH?!"
Too right they're not direct quotes and are more than just "slightly" exaggerated.