• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Tribute to Anil Kumble-For Completing 100 Tests

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anil Kumble has joined an elite club of men to have played 100 test matches... :D He is the 6th Indian to do so....I always felt that Kumble has been by far the most under rated cricketer India has ever produced :mellow:

As SJS has shown in one of his threads Kumble's stats are just as good as Shane Warne's yet the leggie from Karnataka has never been given his due, specially not by the selectors :@
The furore over Ganguly's axing has made me think about the various instances that Kumble has been treated like a door mat ,but not once was there any public outcry :-O

Kumble has always been known for his quiet,understated approach...I always thought he was suited to captain India but somehow that passed him by

Some of Kumble's Career Highlights:
Debut : Vs England at Manchester in 1990...His first victim was Alan Lamb

first 5 wicket haul : Kumble's detractors have always questioned his overseas record..Ironic then that his first 5 wicket haul came in 1993 at Johannesburg

10/10 : the day no Indian fan will ever forget....Vs Pakistan at the Kotla,Kumble became the first Indian and second player ever to claim all 10 wickets in an innings.

Breaking Kapil Dev's record :Kumble surpassed Kapil Dev's record of 434 wickets last year....He is now the Most successful bowler for India in both tests and ODI's

*Kumble holds the indian record for best Bowling figures in both tests (10-74) and Odi's (6-12)

*He has also taken the most wickets by any Indian in both forms ...478 in 99 tests n 329 in 264 Odi's

*Holds the record for most caught and bowled dismissals in test cricket

*Has taken 30 5-wicket hauls in tests...Thats the most by an Indian and fourth highest overall :)

For more of Kumble's memorable preformances..check this out
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/229781.html

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To me the man defines committment and hard work. I think it was Ian Chappell who said something similar to "Everytime he gets a wicket you just get the feeling he deserves it because of how hard he works". He's always busting his gut, and is a workhorse and a strike bowler all in one. Those are hard to find.

Chappell and Benaud were talking about Kumble today during the Aus v SA test, and it was just great to see the high regard he's held by many experts of the game. Yes he's no Murali or Warne, but he is respected as one of the best spin bowlers around today. IMO during my time watching cricket he's the biggest test match winner in Indian cricket. An absolute champion. :)

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
I never knew how good he was but theese stats are amazing,how the hwll wasn't he picked for the super series?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A NZ player needed to be in the test team, and hence Vettori was picked.

I don't want to get into the argument again, but Vettori in the ODI team was fine as I reckon he's a better ODI bowler than Kumble currently, but leaving Kumble out in the test team made little sense, and the only logical explanation was what I said above. No disrespect to Vettori, as I'm a huge fan of his, but Kumble + Murali on the Sydney wicket would have done much more damage.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You're probably right about Kumble on the Sydney pitch, but Vettori has a reputation for excelling against Australia, while Kumble has a reputation for failing outside of India. Both reputations are partially deserved and partially not... but they are still there, and I think that explains the decision a bit, as well as the New Zealand factor.

Anyway, a very good effort from a world class bowler to reach 100 tests. Still improving as a bowler as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
You're probably right about Kumble on the Sydney pitch, but Vettori has a reputation for excelling against Australia, while Kumble has a reputation for failing outside of India. Both reputations are partially deserved and partially not... but they are still there, and I think that explains the decision a bit, as well as the New Zealand factor.

Anyway, a very good effort from a world class bowler to reach 100 tests. Still improving as a bowler as well.
With Kumble's performance in Australia last time the poor record away would be discounted a fair bit for selection for a World XI for a match in Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:

Your last statement is the main thing though. He's still improving, and his last few tours outside of India he's been brilliant. Like I said, the last time he played in Sydney in Jan 2004, he got more wickets by himself (12) than the whole Australian team (9). He had much more than MacGill had (1).

Kumble on a Sydney wicket is always the better option.

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1698

Last edited:

Slats4ever

Anil Kumble = Good bowler...

However he has no right to be classed in the same category as Shane Warne or Murali. He's just India's answer to Warne and Murali and all the home fans love him, and harp on about his "amazing" statistics.

Every time Murali or Warne steps up to the bowling crease you just know that a wicket may be around the corner. Kumble isn't like that unfortunately... All in all however, just one of a few good spinners around the world. Definately the same bracket as Vettori and Kaneria.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
Anil Kumble = Good bowler...

However he has no right to be classed in the same category as Shane Warne or Murali. He's just India's answer to Warne and Murali and all the home fans love him, and harp on about his "amazing" statistics.

Every time Murali or Warne steps up to the bowling crease you just know that a wicket may be around the corner. Kumble isn't like that unfortunately... All in all however, just one of a few good spinners around the world. Definately the same bracket as Vettori and Kaneria.

Kumble right now is far more in the Warne-Murali bracket than Vettori/Kaneria.
Kumble = a bit like Warne but better at home and worse away than Warne. But Warney has had the support of a worldclass bowling attack that Kumble didnt. Anyways, Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara-Tendulkar.

Slats4ever

C_C said:
Kumble = a bit like Warne but better at home and worse away than Warne.
I don't think it's that hard once you've had enough bowling in Indian conditions to be a good leg spinner in test cricket in India. No batsmen aorund the world these days know how to play or are used to playing spin as well as the Indians. His away record is what is important in making someone good and quite frankly it doesn't compare. It's rather similar to Giles almost.

C_C said:
But Warney has had the support of a worldclass bowling attack that Kumble didnt.
Softest excuse ever. Hasn't stopped Murali dominating the fact that he doesn't have a world class attack. Having a world class attack or not can be advantageous both ways.

C_C said:
Anyways, Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara-Tendulkar.
What's your point?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
I don't think it's that hard once you've had enough bowling in Indian conditions to be a good leg spinner in test cricket in India.
Umm not really. Else Sairaj Bahutule among many others would have played many more test matches.

His away record is what is important in making someone good and quite frankly it doesn't compare. It's rather similar to Giles almost.
His away record in most of his career has been poor. Without justifying it, I have spoken of a reason for it which Kumble believes too. I will be more interested in how his away record is in the next 3-4 years to judge him..

Dasa

According to CricInfo, since May 2002 Kumble has taken 67 wickets away from home at an average of 28.84 and strike rate of 55.85 with 4 5 wicket hauls and a 10 wicket haul (against Australia, no less). So Kumble has clearly been doing very well away from home in recent times. At any rate, Kumble is the clear no. 3 spinner in the world right now, and in almost any other era he'd be the best in the world.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
I don't think it's that hard once you've had enough bowling in Indian conditions to be a good leg spinner in test cricket in India. No batsmen aorund the world these days know how to play or are used to playing spin as well as the Indians. His away record is what is important in making someone good and quite frankly it doesn't compare. It's rather similar to Giles almost.
Comparing Giles with Kumble is about as credible as comparing Thorpe with Lara. You bowl to your conditions- simple as that. Warne prefers bouncy pitches, Kumble prefers crumbling pitches. Its called adaptation. True, Kumble is not as good as Warne but the gap between Kumble and Warne is far less than what some think- else Warne wouldn't have Kumble-esque figures in the absence of McGrath.

Softest excuse ever. Hasn't stopped Murali dominating the fact that he doesn't have a world class attack. Having a world class attack or not can be advantageous both ways.
Which is why i rate Murali significantly better than Warne - When Warne doesnt have McGrath around, he has about the same figures as Kumble - 27ish average but better spread between home and away.

What's your point?
Point is, Kumble is within touching distance of Warne-Murali while Kaneria/Vettori would have to improve by a few magnitudes to get into the same level as Kumble.

C_C

International Captain
Warne without McGrath:

Career: 38 matches, 173 wickets @ 27.36, st/r : 61.93

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Anil Kumble is a true champion spinner and a dedicated Team Player.

I read Dravid's tribute to Anil and was moved.

He is truely a great guy all round !

I personally rate him as number 1 ahead of Warne at 2, MacGill at 3 and Murali at 4 in terms of my personal ranking of current performances.

Besides all this Anil (like Macgill ) has a professional degree outside of Cricket being an Engineer . Not that it matters ! :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
JASON said:
Anil Kumble is a true champion spinner and a dedicated Team Player.

I read Dravid's tribute to Anil and was moved.

He is truely a great guy all round !

I personally rate him as number 1 ahead of Warne at 2, MacGill at 3 and Murali at 4 in terms of my personal ranking of current performances.
:-O

You're the first Lankan I know that doesn't rate Murali at least, 2nd in the world. What's your reason for thinking MacGill is better than Murali?