• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm sure this has been done before but anyway..........

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
How would Bradman fare if his career was taking place now instead of when it did?

Would he stand out like he did and would he average 99?

I know he played on uncovered wickets, without decent protective gear etc etc but still........how would he go now (as a 20-30 year old not a dead 90 year old that is)?

I say he couldn't possibly average 99 from 50 odd tests given the improved standards of fielding, the technology and analysis available, the training methods etc etc, but there is also the argument that everything is relative and he stood out then so he would stand out now.

I just can't see how anybody in the modern game could be that far ahead of the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and the best at the moment.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh my. This has been discussed before but my (short) two cents worth:

Yes, he would have averaged the same. Every improvement in the game today would also have benefitted Bradman just as it does the other batsmen in the game. Bradman would be playing with thicker bats, better fitness and better training methods, just as everyone else was. The fact is that when he started out playing cricket, he was just that much above the players who were regarded as the best, and the same would apply today.

open365

International Vice-Captain
No,i don't think he would have avergaed 99 in todays game.

He was head and shoulders above the rest of his generation so he deserves his place in history but i don't belive he would dominate the modern game like he dominated his own.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Personally, I think he would average 150.

The wickets (covered and much, much flatter), the global standard of fast bowling, the training, the fitness, the analysis and the less hostile touring environments would all contribute to his hypothetically flabbergasting average.

Dasa

I have no idea what he would average in todays game...I don't even know if he would've taken up cricket. You think about all the factors that come into it when looking back at his career, it's impossible to say anything conclusive about what he could have done today...

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Probably would average more now - but weren't test matches unlimited in time back then so would he have to play at a faster rate in the 5 day tests? Could this not lead to more rash shots and dismissals?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Run like Inzy said:
Probably would average more now - but weren't test matches unlimited in time back then so would he have to play at a faster rate in the 5 day tests? Could this not lead to more rash shots and dismissals?
The guy scored 300 in a day. I really don't think speed of scoring would be an issue.

open365

GoT_SpIn said:
Why do you think that, btw i second what Andyc said :)
He was an exceptional player no mistake,but the game has changed drasticly since his day and i don't think with the advent of proffesionalism that any player will ever be able to dominate as he did.

Slats4ever

the "advent of proffesionalism" hasn't stopped players of other sports. Such as Valentino Rossi and Schumacher in their hey day.

Deja moo

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
the "advent of proffesionalism" hasn't stopped players of other sports. Such as Valentino Rossi and Schumacher in their hey day.
What he means is that he wouldnt dominate as much as he did. Mind you, 70 or 80 would still leave the rest of the pack behind.

open365

Slats4ever said:
I thought about thoose two before posting but continued for 2 reasons.

1)motosport is very different to cricket,the situation is allways the same,their own performance is no conditional as to who they are playing against.(though Feder is an exception)

2)Of all the great cricket players we've witnessed over the last 25 years,not one has dominated like Bradman did,indeed Bradman is the only cricketer i can think of who has been head and shoulders above everyone in the history of the game. If Tendulkar or Lara can't do it in the modern game,i don't think anyone can.

greg

International Debutant
LongHopCassidy said:
Personally, I think he would average 150.

The wickets (covered and much, much flatter), the global standard of fast bowling, the training, the fitness, the analysis and the less hostile touring environments would all contribute to his hypothetically flabbergasting average.
I don't think the wickets are that much flatter today compared with those around in the thirties. However one only has to look at some of the performances of players today, over limited but still quite length periods (eg. Hayden, Kallis, Lara, etc etc) to see that it is possible to average close to 100 over a number of matches.

The only proviso is if Bradman had some weakness, undetected at the time, which might of come more apparent in today's technological age, or as a result of the greater range of conditions in which today's players have to adapt. But that is pure speculation, so in principle I think it is fair to say he would have done at least as well today.

Last edited:

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
i reckon he'd average over 60 easy. so it'd be fair to say he'd average over 80.

but, i still think this question is hard to answer......

Dissector

International Debutant
Well it's hard to say but my guess is that he would average a lot less perhaps less than today's top players. Cricket, like most sports, is played at a much higher level today than 70 years ago and there would be a lot that Bradman would have to adjust to.

First of all there is a lot more test cricket than in his day not to mention one day international internationals. Would his body adjust to the additional wear and tear?

Fielding standards are a lot higher which would not only make it more difficult to score runs but would also require adjustment in running between the wickets.

There are entirely new bowling techniques which he would have to adjust to like reverse swing and the doosra.

His batting would be minutely examined using slow motion and statistical analysis. Any weaknesses found would be immediately pounced on by all the better teams. That level of professional scrutiny simply didn't exist in Bradman's day.

He would have to learn to handle entirely new experiences like touring the subcontinent with pithces and conditions very different to what he had been used to.

Overall there are so many changes in the game that it would be extremely difficult for him to adjust his playing style which was developed in completely different circumstance.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, but thats the point, if he'd been brought up in modern times, he'd have all the advantages to modern players, coaching for any deficiencies he may have had. Yes if you transported him in a time-machine, he may struggle to an average of 60, but if he was brought up in these times, no reason he shouldn't still be exceptional.

Fielding is the only thing I'd worry about, fast-bowlers just didn't run after the ball when in the field, so that may have cut him back to about 85.94. There has never been a sportsman so above his contempories, the man was a genius, full-stop.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
grecian said:
Yes, but thats the point, if he'd been brought up in modern times, he'd have all the advantages to modern players, coaching for any deficiencies he may have had. Yes if you transported him in a time-machine, he may struggle to an average of 60, but if he was brought up in these times, no reason he shouldn't still be exceptional.

Fielding is the only thing I'd worry about, fast-bowlers just didn't run after the ball when in the field, so that may have cut him back to about 85.94. There has never been a sportsman so above his contempories, the man was a genius, full-stop.
Indeed, anything that would benefit modern players would benefit bradman if he was playing today, and since he was so much better than everyone else in his generation, its reasonable to assume that he would be just as dominant

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Dissector said:
Well it's hard to say but my guess is that he would average a lot less perhaps less than today's top players. Cricket, like most sports, is played at a much higher level today than 70 years ago and there would be a lot that Bradman would have to adjust to.

First of all there is a lot more test cricket than in his day not to mention one day international internationals. Would his body adjust to the additional wear and tear?

Fielding standards are a lot higher which would not only make it more difficult to score runs but would also require adjustment in running between the wickets.

There are entirely new bowling techniques which he would have to adjust to like reverse swing and the doosra.

His batting would be minutely examined using slow motion and statistical analysis. Any weaknesses found would be immediately pounced on by all the better teams. That level of professional scrutiny simply didn't exist in Bradman's day.

He would have to learn to handle entirely new experiences like touring the subcontinent with pithces and conditions very different to what he had been used to.

Overall there are so many changes in the game that it would be extremely difficult for him to adjust his playing style which was developed in completely different circumstance.
If bradman was brought up in the modern era, he would benefit from all of these, which could possibly contribute to an even higher average