cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this has been done before but anyway..........

I'm sure this has been done before but anyway..........

How would Bradman fare if his career was taking place now instead of when it did?

Would he stand out like he did and would he average 99?

I know he played on uncovered wickets, without decent protective gear etc etc but still........how would he go now (as a 20-30 year old not a dead 90 year old that is)?

I say he couldn't possibly average 99 from 50 odd tests given the improved standards of fielding, the technology and analysis available, the training methods etc etc, but there is also the argument that everything is relative and he stood out then so he would stand out now.

I just can't see how anybody in the modern game could be that far ahead of the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and the best at the moment.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Oh my. This has been discussed before but my (short) two cents worth:

Yes, he would have averaged the same. Every improvement in the game today would also have benefitted Bradman just as it does the other batsmen in the game. Bradman would be playing with thicker bats, better fitness and better training methods, just as everyone else was. The fact is that when he started out playing cricket, he was just that much above the players who were regarded as the best, and the same would apply today.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    No,i don't think he would have avergaed 99 in todays game.

He was head and shoulders above the rest of his generation so he deserves his place in history but i don't belive he would dominate the modern game like he dominated his own.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Why do you think that, btw i second what Andyc said
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Personally, I think he would average 150.

The wickets (covered and much, much flatter), the global standard of fast bowling, the training, the fitness, the analysis and the less hostile touring environments would all contribute to his hypothetically flabbergasting average.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

IMO, he'd average 70-80. Fielding makes a hell of a difference.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I have no idea what he would average in todays game...I don't even know if he would've taken up cricket. You think about all the factors that come into it when looking back at his career, it's impossible to say anything conclusive about what he could have done today...

International Coach
    I think he'd have averaged more than what he did by some way.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Probably would average more now - but weren't test matches unlimited in time back then so would he have to play at a faster rate in the 5 day tests? Could this not lead to more rash shots and dismissals?

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Run like Inzy
    Probably would average more now - but weren't test matches unlimited in time back then so would he have to play at a faster rate in the 5 day tests? Could this not lead to more rash shots and dismissals?
    The guy scored 300 in a day. I really don't think speed of scoring would be an issue.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn
    Why do you think that, btw i second what Andyc said
    He was an exceptional player no mistake,but the game has changed drasticly since his day and i don't think with the advent of proffesionalism that any player will ever be able to dominate as he did.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    the "advent of proffesionalism" hasn't stopped players of other sports. Such as Valentino Rossi and Schumacher in their hey day.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    the "advent of proffesionalism" hasn't stopped players of other sports. Such as Valentino Rossi and Schumacher in their hey day.
    What he means is that he wouldnt dominate as much as he did. Mind you, 70 or 80 would still leave the rest of the pack behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    I thought about thoose two before posting but continued for 2 reasons.

1)motosport is very different to cricket,the situation is allways the same,their own performance is no conditional as to who they are playing against.(though Feder is an exception)

2)Of all the great cricket players we've witnessed over the last 25 years,not one has dominated like Bradman did,indeed Bradman is the only cricketer i can think of who has been head and shoulders above everyone in the history of the game. If Tendulkar or Lara can't do it in the modern game,i don't think anyone can.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    Personally, I think he would average 150.

The wickets (covered and much, much flatter), the global standard of fast bowling, the training, the fitness, the analysis and the less hostile touring environments would all contribute to his hypothetically flabbergasting average.
    I don't think the wickets are that much flatter today compared with those around in the thirties. However one only has to look at some of the performances of players today, over limited but still quite length periods (eg. Hayden, Kallis, Lara, etc etc) to see that it is possible to average close to 100 over a number of matches.

The only proviso is if Bradman had some weakness, undetected at the time, which might of come more apparent in today's technological age, or as a result of the greater range of conditions in which today's players have to adapt. But that is pure speculation, so in principle I think it is fair to say he would have done at least as well today.
    Last edited by greg; 17-12-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information