• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'You just dropped the world cup'

open365

International Vice-Captain
What match(if any) was this quote from?

i allways thought it was from Steve Waugh while he was batting in the 1999 world cup semi final against south Africa but i didn't see any dropped chances on the highlights,and he was batting first anyway.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gibbs dropped the catch in a crucial super six match Australia needed to win if I am not wrong and Waugh allegedly said it to Gibbs.

He denied ever saying it though in a recent cricinfo interview.

Last edited:

open365

thanks for that,i must say i'm a bit suprised that such a ledgendary quote was said in a super six game but whatdyaknow.

another thing,in the highlights i saw,the match ended with the scoreboard showing both sides on 213 yet the Austrlians won,am i missing something here?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Gibbs dropped the catch in a crucial super six match Australia needed to win if I am not wrong and Waugh allegedly said it to Gibbs.

Yes, apparently Shane Warne had told the Aussie bats not to walk off the field immediately if Gibbs swallowed one, 'cause he had a habit of being overly showy with his celebrations, and losing control of the ball on occasion. Which is exactly what happened - Gibbs dropped the catch for no other reason than being a smart-aleck.

I can't remember exactly what it turned out that Waugh had said, but he admitted it was hardly that snappy and clever. He also made a comment recently regarding his response when Curtly Ambrose stormed down the pitch at him back in '95 and Richie Richardson had to restrain him. Conventional wisdom was that he'd said "Just you bowl", when in reality, Waugh said it was more along the lines of "What the **** are you looking at?" :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
open365 said:
thanks for that,i must say i'm a bit suprised that such a ledgendary quote was said in a super six game but whatdyaknow.

another thing,in the highlights i saw,the match ended with the scoreboard showing both sides on 213 yet the Austrlians won,am i missing something here?
They had won the super six match and hence they qualified because of the previous win between the two countries - the rule in case of ties.

So South Africa exited in another infamous way from a world cup.

It added more legend to the Gibbs dropped catch and thus the importance despite that match being a super six match.

Also thanks for reminding me that horrible match from a RSA fan's perspective. :@

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
They had won the super six match and hence they qualified because of the previous win between the two countries - the rule in case of ties.
You know, that's what I always thought I remembered (makes the most sense to me, too), but just about everything I've read since suggests that it was about superior run-rate... Wouldn't mind some clarification on this if anybody knows for sure.

Deja moo

International Captain
Actually, at that point in time, the match was more significant because Australia absolutely needed to win it in order to make the semis. Qualifying for the final in case of a tie in the semi was a factor not even in the picture right then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
Actually, at that point in time, the match was more significant because Australia absolutely needed to win it in order to make the semis. Qualifying for the final in case of a tie in the semi was a factor not even in the picture right then.
Yes but the tie added to the legend of the quote.. as Australia might not have even been there to compete in that brilliant and heart breaking semi had Gibbs not popped that ball in the air before ensuring he had complete control of the ball.

AAAAAAAAAH.

Also Warne - AAAAAAAAAAAAAH. why couldnt your mom give you pills 4 years prior!

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Conventional wisdom was that he'd said "Just you bowl", when in reality, Waugh said it was more along the lines of "What the **** are you looking at?" :)
Yep, sounds more like an Aussie sportsman :D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia won the Super Six match. Then they played SA again in the Semi, which was a tie. Australia got through on countback because they beat SA in the preceding Super Six match.

Slow Love™

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Australia won the Super Six match. Then they played SA again in the Semi, which was a tie. Australia got through on countback because they beat SA in the preceding Super Six match.
Yeah, that was always my understanding. Have you got a link? A lot of articles suggest it was an issue of Australia having a superior run-rate (or just finishing higher on the Super Six table), and that's why they went through to the final after the tie.

ie:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cricket/1999/world_cup/news/1999/06/21/wc_analysis/

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...S/AUS_RSA_WC99_ODI-SEMI2_17JUN1999_CI_MR.html

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, that was always my understanding. Have you got a link? Everything I find suggests it was an issue of Australia having a superior run-rate, and that's why they went through to the final after the tie.
Here's the answer. According to a book I have, The Complete History of World Cup Cricket 1975-1999, it says Australia went through to the Final because they finished higher than Sth Africa on the Super Six table.

Slow Love™

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Here's the answer. According to a book I have, The Complete History of World Cup Cricket 1975-1999, it says Australia went through to the Final because they finished higher than Sth Africa on the Super Six table.
Yeah. It's a little ambiguous, but I guess it suggests run-rate more than the previous victory....

howardj

International Coach
Im almost certain it was due to the previous victory. Infact I'll stake my considerable reputation on it! :) Didn't really get a clear explanation at the time though, because Ray Martin was hosting that World Cup for Aussie viewers!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got footage of the incident and Steve Waugh definitely said something to Gibbs right after the catch was dropped. Not 100% clear what he did say, though. Reading Steve Waugh's rather tightly-pursed lips is difficult but I *think* he says "You just dropped the World Cup, mate".

I can't remember exactly what it turned out that Waugh had said, but he admitted it was hardly that snappy and clever. He also made a comment recently regarding his response when Curtly Ambrose stormed down the pitch at him back in '95 and Richie Richardson had to restrain him. Conventional wisdom was that he'd said "Just you bowl", when in reality, Waugh said it was more along the lines of "What the **** are you looking at?"
Again, I have footage of this one too and he said both; "What the **** are you looking at? Just get back and ****** bowl. Get back and bowl."

Last edited:

Dasa

Top_Cat said:
Got footage of the incident and Steve Waugh definitely said something to Gibbs right after the catch was dropped. Not 100% clear what he did say, though. Reading Steve Waugh's rather tightly-pursed lips is difficult but I *think* he says "You just dropped the World Cup, mate".
If I remember correctly, Waugh said in an interview that he actually said "You just dropped the match, mate."
edit: Apparently it was "Look, do you realise you've just cost your team the game." - from CricInfo.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The word I have on the incident is quite contradictory to the original story, yet is from a reliable source so cannot be denied...

Apparently the phrase was first uttered by Waugh at the 1987 World Cup when, in the midst of some fairly wild celebrations, Alan Border went to sleep standing up and let the magnificent mug clatter to the ground. By this stage each player was, on average, guilty of imbibing 14 XXXX's each, and the cup hitting a cement surface lead to the whole team, selectors, and hangers-on erupting into raucous laughter quickly followed by a coma-like sleep. Just before nodding off Waugh, whilst drooling heavily and fighting the onset of hiccups, managed to whisper the immortal words into the ear of someone he thought was AB...Mrs Packer was highly unamused, as she thought Waugh was referring to the trophy-like appearance of her husband's head, and Steve was dropped soon after only to resume a battle for his test position that is now regarded as legendary...