• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if you go by form, Astle will drop out of the squad & Hamish Marshall may miss out to Fleming.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I think he has the ability to average under 30 in ODI cricket
The question is, is that what a bowler should be aiming for?

In one day cricket, 30 is a pretty poor average IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
The question is, is that what a bowler should be aiming for?

In one day cricket, 30 is a pretty poor average IMO.
It depends what their role is though. Vettori bowls through the middle overs, and has the job of going for as little runs as possible and picking up a wicket or two in the process. If he takes 1/30 off his 10 overs in every match, he'd be doing his job very well.

Ming

State 12th Man
His RPO is not too bad. And he has been a very good economical bowler recently. Bowling average doesn't really matter too much for a middle of the innings bowler such as Styris who is primarily a 6th bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bowling average doesn't really matter too much for a middle of the innings bowler such as Styris who is primarily a 6th bowler.
Speaking of Styris' bowling, he actually has a very good record when bowling second change, rather than coming on later. He has 44 wickets in 34 matches doing so, at an average of 24.84 and an economy of 4.52. Definately something that should be tried IMO, with Cairns being reserved to death bowling.

Ming

State 12th Man
I bet you McMillan is baffled sitting on his lounge wondering how the hell Fulton managed to score at nearly a run a ball without playing a reverse sweep, slog shot, and a guide down to 3rd man....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ming said:
I bet you McMillan is baffled sitting on his lounge wondering how the hell Fulton managed to score at nearly a run a ball without playing a reverse sweep, slog shot, and a guide down to 3rd man....
Fulton did actually play an out-and-out slog to Murali...

Ming

State 12th Man
Cairns shouldn't do the death bowling. He hasn't shown any ability to bowl in the block hole except the good length slower ball which is cannon fodder in the death.

Ming

State 12th Man
Seriously though, many vote for McMillan to be in the side because of his strike power, but the fact is, he takes far too long to 'get in', and during that time, he spends 80% of the balls trying to nudge to 3rd man. Today you saw a great example of two players who played straight, and were rewarded.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Now who do they drop for fleming?

Vincent? Fulton? Marshall? Styris?

I think it will be Fulton but he just scored 70 so marshall maybe?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would say Marshall even though I consider him to be one of the more talented batsmen we have. He's just been in such bad form, and How and Fulton hardly deserve to be dropped after their performances at Queenstown.

Ming

State 12th Man
If Fleming is back, I hope they will rotate How, Fulton and Marshall for the rest of the games.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
How and Fulton played some good strokes; strokes which seemed uncharacteristic for New Zealand batsmen, but I hate seeing Sri Lanka play this badly. I've always had a lot of respect for the Sri Lankans, as our sides have been intertwined over the years. I hope they can make a series of this.

Personally I'd drop Cairns over Marshall. Marshall is our best fielder and a batsman who we need to get back in form.

Ming

State 12th Man
We can't drop Cairns for a batsman, otherwise we would be relying on Styris as the 5th bowler and How as the 6th which isn't ideal.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
But does he deserve it, or is it time to say thanks for the memories?

He has contributed well in 2 of his 4 games since his comeback so why would we want to do that?