• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** VB Series 2006

Lostman

State Captain
TT Boy said:
Surprising to see he hasn’t played that much for Sri Lanka, he looks like a real talent.
he made his debut in a test in 1998 in SL when he was 18 yrs old seemed lost then. adter that he played county in england seems like bowling spin in unfriendly conditions has really helped him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know so many people that are avid "Anti-Watson" so I'm sure not everyone's gonna think I'm nuts.
And I know people who are pro-flat Earth; doesn't mean everyone wouldn't think I was nuts if I agreed with them. Strength in numbers != correct.

Lostman

State Captain
Jono said:
How'd people do in their fantasy cricket?

Unfortunately I went with a punt and thought Tharanga, who is a real talent and future top cricket for SL, would get some runs this series. Instead he's been dropped :ph34r:
mubarak might be dropped for the next game so that means tharanga will play...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You can be as anti-Watson as you like, it doesn't mean that Watson (who bats top 4 in first class cricket and averages close to 50 doing it) isn't a much better batsman than Hopes. You can argue Hopes is a better hitter in the late overs if you like, and you might be right, but in terms of overall batting ability its no contest.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
It's something to do with making your hand go numb beforehand so it feels like someone else, isn't it?
I was going to just say "Use the other hand", but we're on the same wavelength.

:thumbup1:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dinu23 said:
First class:
Shane Watson: 3325 runs @ 44.93
James Hopes: 1577 runs @ 30.92

Shane Watson: 86 wickets @ 31.39
James Hopes: 45 wickets @ 46.93

List A:
Shane Watson: 1992 runs @ 35.57
James Hopes: 1053 runs @ 23.93

Shane Watson: 67 wickets @ 38.13
James Hopes: 83 wickets @ 26.49

Clearly, the only thing Hopes is better at is bowling in 50 overs. Plus Shane has 3 years on him.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
andyc said:
First class:
Shane Watson: 3325 runs @ 44.93
James Hopes: 1577 runs @ 30.92

Shane Watson: 86 wickets @ 31.39
James Hopes: 45 wickets @ 46.93

List A:
Shane Watson: 1992 runs @ 35.57
James Hopes: 1053 runs @ 23.93

Shane Watson: 67 wickets @ 38.13
James Hopes: 83 wickets @ 26.49

Clearly, the only thing Hopes is better at is bowling in 50 overs. Plus Shane has 3 years on him.
jeez even White's figure rack up nicely in comparison to Hope's.

howardj

International Coach
What about Australia get back to playing their best team. I hate all this rotation of players and mixing up of the batting order. It has John Buchanan written all over it. They should just pick their best team, and let the World Cup squad sort itself out. From there, natural attrition and underperformance will see players fall by the wayside. Those left standing will form the nucleus of the WC squad.

For instance, what is with opening with Katich ahead of Jaques? To me it just smacks of Australia getting too 'funky' for their own good. Why not just do the obvious thing and pick the form player and the better ODI player? Same with Haddin batting above Symonds tonight. Why cant they just do the obvious, sensible thing instead of getting all 'funky'? Some really weird things need to be stopped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
howardj said:
What about Australia get back to playing their best team. I hate all this rotation of players and mixing up of the batting order. It has John Buchanan written all over it. They should just pick their best team, and let the World Cup squad sort itself out. From there, natural attrition and underperformance will see players fall by the wayside. Those left standing will form the nucleus of the WC squad.

For instance, what is with opening with Katich ahead of Jaques? To me it just smacks of Australia getting too 'funky' for their own good. Why not just do the obvious thing and pick the form player and the better ODI player? Same with Haddin batting above Symonds tonight. Why cant they just do the obvious, sensible thing instead of getting all 'funky'? Some really weird things need to be stopped.
Personally I find it very difficult to imagine anyone less "funky" than Buchanan! :laugh:

This man has the funk:

This man clearly doesn't:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Go Sri Lanka! Great return by Jayasuriya! The guy has the heart of a champion. PUt back the injury lay offs and politics and played an absolute blinder of an innings. Good to see Mahela get some runs as well. Still not convinced about Mubarak. I mean, the guy averages 27 in FC cricket in the pitches in Sri Lanka. I would have rather seen Tharanga there. The guy has got potential, IMO. But still, is this the first time that Australia have lost 2 league games in the VB series after Ponting took over the ODI side?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

absolutely, but in some cases some of the main players i.e Gilly, pigeon, Ponting, Lee could be rested alternatively but rotation in batting line-up should not be done. I hope Jaques opens on thursday unfortunately for Katich he will have to make way for good at the top of the order & Marto goes back to 4 & STAYS their.

I pray for the day that soon i'll be seeing this OD team on the field:

Jaques
Gilly
Punter
Marto
Roy
Pup
Mr.Cricket
Watto
Bing
Dizzy
Pigeon
Hoggy - sub

BTW is Gilchrist returning for thursday game in adelaide or sundays game in perth?