• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** VB Series 2006

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
There's no guarantee of Martyn coming straight back in (although I hope it is the case, he does) especially if he isn't scoring a load of runs at domestic level. If Jaques has a good one or two tests he should stay in the squad for sure, and I really hope the selectors consider either Gillespie or Kaspa given their recent returns to form.
his ING for has been good, so he has to play plus yes i hope either Dizzy or Kaspa get the nod but it will be though Clark did well in NZ & i reckon Trevor n his crew will be hard pressed to drop him :dry:

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
Going by recent form Australia and SA should thump them by very very big margins unless match fixing is involved!! :)
Aw....lighten up Jason! where's ur Christmas spirit! :p

Jose_Mourinho

Cricket Spectator
Hopefully not even good enough for Queensland Mitchell Johnson is nowhere near the side.

Most undeserved selection for a long time. How he's still got his spot in the Queensland team has many perplexed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jose_Mourinho said:
Hopefully not even good enough for Queensland Mitchell Johnson is nowhere near the side.

Most undeserved selection for a long time. How he's still got his spot in the Queensland team has many perplexed.
well the bulls see him as a future prospect for australia & their given him every chance of playing in a full-strenght side along with some good blokes like Kasper & Bichel who can help him along. It makes much more sense picking him than going back to Noffke or Dawes who aren't likely to play for Australia.

Anywayz going back to the VB series, my hopeful team for the 1st game:

Jaques
Gilchrist - will have haddin for the other group matches so as to give Gilly some time off.
Ponting
Martyn
Symo
Pup
Hussey
Lee
Hogg
Dizzy/Kaspa - but Clarke or Bracken may play
Pigeon - would also rest him giving some for the majortiy of the group matches
Hopes - super-sub

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
Aw....lighten up Jason! where's ur Christmas spirit! :p
Sorry Mate, I am just too dejected about our team and the lack of younsters making the grade that I hold grave fears for the state of SL Cricket over the next 5 years .

Not even the Christmas spirit can lift me from this position of gloom SL cricket is ATM.

And when they get thumped by the Black Caps next week, things will only get even worse than what they are .

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'm hoping for:

1. Jaques/Katich
2. Haddin
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Clarke
8. Hogg
9. Lee
10. Gillespie/Kasprowicz
11. McGrath

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
I'm hoping for:

1. Jaques/Katich
2. Haddin
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Clarke
8. Hogg
9. Lee
10. Gillespie/Kasprowicz
11. McGrath
yea i would love if either Dizzy or Kaspa could come back, but Clark bowled pretty well in NZ & continued his good for for NSW recently so i'm guessing the selectors will be hard-pressed to leave him out.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the 13 man squad will look something like this:

Ponting (c)
Gilchrist (vc) - at least for the initial rounds, if we are in a good position he may be rested for Haddin or Hartley.
Katich
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Hopes
Lee
McGrath
Bracken
Clark

Hodge to be added if they go with 14.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
My selection for SL squad (of 16) for VB

Jayasuriya (Unfortunately SL rely on the old guy still and there is no option but to take him around to Oz and see if he can re-discover some form)
Tharanga
Atapattu (Captain)
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Dilshan
Arnold
Chamara Kapugedera/Michael Van Dort/Ian Daniel (any 2 of these 3)
Murali
Vaas
Dilhara Fernando
Nuwan Zoysa
Chandana
Dilhara Lokuhettige
Kaushalya Weeraratne .

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
I think the 13 man squad will look something like this:

Ponting (c)
Gilchrist (vc) - at least for the initial rounds, if we are in a good position he may be rested for Haddin or Hartley.
Katich
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Hopes
Lee
McGrath
Bracken
Clark

Hodge to be added if they go with 14.
Are you suggesting Ponting to open? Or just putting his name first as captain?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JASON said:
Just saw this -

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/nzvsl/content/story/231463.html

Considering Jayasuriya's involvement in the VB series is going to be dicey, ( Either due to lack of form or the shoulder :D ) I would be tempted to select all three of Michael Van Dort, Ian Daniel and Chamara Kapugedera for the VB series squad to be taken to Australia.
Are sri lanka likely to even win a game in this VB series?? Apart from their recent poor form I can't see the bouncy pitches suiting them as well as S.A and AUST

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell Johnson really didn't look like the type of bowler I was expecting to see against NZ. I had heard all this hype about him, but he jogs in and doesn't overally rip it through.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Mitchell Johnson really didn't look like the type of bowler I was expecting to see against NZ. I had heard all this hype about him, but he jogs in and doesn't overally rip it through.
has played lonly 5-6 OD games for Queensland at a bad average how he keeps getting selected is just beyond me 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
mikeW said:
has played lonly 5-6 OD games for Queensland at a bad average how he keeps getting selected is just beyond me 8-)
i honestly dont mind the bloke being selected for queensland on a regular basis ahead of Noffke & Dawes after all he does have potential & if he keeps improving one day he may well & play for Australia. But he is being overhyped & he is known for his injury problems, he should just be trying to improve with the bulls, should be no where near the national side at this point in time.