cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kumble vs Warne - just stats

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Kumble vs Warne - just stats

This is not to compare the two and start another debate but just to show how little Kumble's efforts are appreciated.

Honestly, I had no clue the figures were so close and that Kumble had more five fors and 10 in a test than Warne at the same stage..

Murali's figures are shown just to indicate how much he is ahead of these two.

PLAYER.....MATCHES......WKTS.....AVG.....STR RATE......ECO RATE(100 balls)......Wkts/mtch.......5 fors......10 fors

Warne...........99.................436..........26 .5..........62.9............42.1.................. ...............4.4..................21............ ..5

Kumble.........99..................478..........28 .0..........64.9............43.2.................. ...............4.78................30............. 8

Murali.............98................578.......... .22.3..........56.7............39.3............... .................5.90.................48.......... .14

WoW.....i never knew the stats were so alike.....kumble is a better bowler than i thought!
    RIP BOB WOOLMER

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Wow. Remarkable stats. Kumble certainly does go unnoticed if those are his stats.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    wow,that Murali guy is quite a bowler...

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Wow. Remarkable stats. Kumble certainly does go unnoticed if those are his stats.
    Of course these are his figures. Yes they are remarkable.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Of course these are his figures. Yes they are remarkable.
    I wasn't trying to imply that they weren't, sorry, I said that wrong! I just never realised quite how good he was statistically before.

that is really impressive....

also kumble is the only one of them 3 to get 10 wickets in a innings!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I wasn't trying to imply that they weren't, sorry, I said that wrong! I just never realised quite how good he was statistically before.
    And I knew what you meant. You neednt feel sorry.

I was expressing mock indignation. I shouldbe sorry for not putting an appropriate smiley there.

Amazing how written word without facial expressions on the voice modulation of the spoken word can be misinterpreted. Not your fault though. I should have been careful Its happening too often to me.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    This is not to compare the two and start another debate but just to show how little Kumble's efforts are appreciated.

Honestly, I had no clue the figures were so close and that Kumble had more five fors and 10 in a test than Warne at the same stage..

Murali's figures are shown just to indicate how much he is ahead of these two.

PLAYER.....MATCHES......WKTS.....AVG.....STR RATE......ECO RATE(100 balls)......Wkts/mtch.......5 fors......10 fors

Warne...........99.................436..........26 .5..........62.9............42.1.................. ...............4.4..................21............ ..5

Kumble.........99..................478..........28 .0..........64.9............43.2.................. ...............4.78................30............. 8

Murali.............98................578.......... .22.3..........56.7............39.3............... .................5.90.................48.......... .14
    Sorry SJS, plse explain further. Are these his their last 99 tests or first 99 or what??

Obviously Warne has over 600 wickets not 436

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Kumble's poorer reputation is based almost entirely on his abysmal record outside of India. It is extremely difficult for a bowler to gain a massive reputation similar to Warne or Murali when they do not perform often in front of the eyes of the rest of the cricketing world.

For those who don't know them:

Kumble in India
    52 tests, 302 wickets @ 23.38, 22 5-fors, 7 10-fors, strike rate: 56.24, economy rate: 2.49.

Kumble outside of India
    47 tests, 176 wickets @ 36.00, 8 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 80.40, economy rate: 2.69.

And also...

Kumble in Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies (excluding Zimbabwe and the sub-continent)
    32 tests, 115 wickets @ 38.75, 6 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 87.90, economy rate: 2.64.

It's not too hard to see why he isn't considered by the worldwide cricket public to be in the same bracket as the others mentioned. There's also the point that Warne's stats look the worst of his career as a whole after around 100 tests, because that was at the height of his 1998-2001 form slump.

No doubt Kumble is a great bowler, of course, and I am not attempting to discredit him, simply to explain his inferior reputation.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Sorry SJS, plse explain further. Are these his their last 99 tests or first 99 or what??

Obviously Warne has over 600 wickets not 436
    Kumble and Murali have played only 99 and 98 tests each so these are their figures at the end of the delhi test match.

For Warne, I have taken his first 99 test figures.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Kumble's poorer reputation is based almost entirely on his abysmal record outside of India. It is extremely difficult for a bowler to gain a massive reputation similar to Warne or Murali when they do not perform often in front of the eyes of the rest of the cricketing world.

For those who don't know them:

Kumble in India
    52 tests, 302 wickets @ 23.38, 22 5-fors, 7 10-fors, strike rate: 56.24, economy rate: 2.49.

Kumble outside of India
    47 tests, 176 wickets @ 36.00, 8 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 80.40, economy rate: 2.69.

And also...

Kumble in Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies (excluding Zimbabwe and the sub-continent)
    32 tests, 115 wickets @ 38.75, 6 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 87.90, economy rate: 2.64.

It's not too hard to see why he isn't considered by the worldwide cricket public to be in the same bracket as the others mentioned. There's also the point that Warne's stats look the worst of his career as a whole after around 100 tests, because that was at the height of his 1998-2001 form slump.

No doubt Kumble is a great bowler, of course, and I am not attempting to discredit him, simply to explain his inferior reputation.
    Sure. You are right about that.

But his figures are still quite amazing. And his figures are improving with every series !!

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Awesome.

Kumble is one of my favourite cricketers.

I believe his numbers are also better than Warne's in matches won.

The thing about Kumble is he's the player we look to when we need a match won. We can get all the runs if Laxman, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Ganguly or Dravid scored in the past, but when it came to bowling a team out it was generally "look to Kumble". Yeah we had Harbhajan in 2001 and Srinath at certain times, but Kumble has always been there.

I specifically remember the Sydney test against Aus in 2004 when Kumble took more wickets in the match than the whole Australian bowling line-up put together. He was our only hope of getting us to victory, and he almost got there. Not enough consistent support from the other end, which has often (but thankfully not always) been the case.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information