Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kumble vs Warne - just stats

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Kumble is a superb bowler. The reason he said after his tour of Australia that he had a poor average for a lot of his career is because of batting collapses of India and him having to defend very small totals.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Kumble is a superb bowler. The reason he said after his tour of Australia that he had a poor average for a lot of his career is because of batting collapses of India and him having to defend very small totals.
    yes exactly what i was goin to say. For the first time in the Aus the batsman put runs on the board and he bowled quite well in Aus compared to previous times and nearly won us the series.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Kumble's poorer reputation is based almost entirely on his abysmal record outside of India. It is extremely difficult for a bowler to gain a massive reputation similar to Warne or Murali when they do not perform often in front of the eyes of the rest of the cricketing world.

For those who don't know them:

Kumble in India
    52 tests, 302 wickets @ 23.38, 22 5-fors, 7 10-fors, strike rate: 56.24, economy rate: 2.49.

Kumble outside of India
    47 tests, 176 wickets @ 36.00, 8 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 80.40, economy rate: 2.69.

And also...

Kumble in Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies (excluding Zimbabwe and the sub-continent)
    32 tests, 115 wickets @ 38.75, 6 5-fors, 1 10-for, strike rate: 87.90, economy rate: 2.64.

It's not too hard to see why he isn't considered by the worldwide cricket public to be in the same bracket as the others mentioned. There's also the point that Warne's stats look the worst of his career as a whole after around 100 tests, because that was at the height of his 1998-2001 form slump.

No doubt Kumble is a great bowler, of course, and I am not attempting to discredit him, simply to explain his inferior reputation.
    Think of him as a combination of Murali (when at home) and Vettori or Giles (when abroad), although he has nowhere near the kind of support the latter two have.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Nowhere near the support of Vettori? What? What support does Vettori have?

At least Kumble has a quality spinner down the other end, and India's seamers aren't much good but they are no worse than New Zealand's, given how little test cricket Bond has played. Srinath was better than any bowler New Zealand has produced (excluding Bond, perhaps) since Hadlee, and Kumble bowled with him for years. Harbhajan is twice as good as anyone Vettori has ever bowled with.

Giles has good support now, but England have had plenty of mediocre attacks in recent times.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Kumble, IMO, has improved quite a lot over the past two years. I honestly think that he is more of a threat today (both home and away) than he was earlier. People who don't see that are making a HUGE mistake.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Kumble, IMO, has improved quite a lot over the past two years. I honestly think that he is more of a threat today (both home and away) than he was earlier. People who don't see that are making a HUGE mistake.
    I agree. He is a much better bowler today than he was a few years ago. I also feel that Warne is better today than he has been in almost a decade.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I agree. He is a much better bowler today than he was a few years ago. I also feel that Warne is better today than he has been in almost a decade.
    yes and actually, so is Murali, I think. Batsmen beware!

Nowhere near the support of Vettori? What? What support does Vettori have?

At least Kumble has a quality spinner down the other end, and India's seamers aren't much good but they are no worse than New Zealand's, given how little test cricket Bond has played. Srinath was better than any bowler New Zealand has produced (excluding Bond, perhaps) since Hadlee, and Kumble bowled with him for years. Harbhajan is twice as good as anyone Vettori has ever bowled with.

Giles has good support now, but England have had plenty of mediocre attacks in recent times.
    NZ have had Nash, Styris, Oram, Tuffey, Bond. India have had just Srinath, who was good, and a bunch of others who invariably average 35+ with the ball.

Well yeah, that's pretty much my point. Oram and Styris wouldn't make any test team in the world as bowlers, Tuffey is decent but no better than someone like Zaheer or Pathan, and certainly not as good as Srinath, and Bond has played what, a dozen tests?

Well yeah, that's pretty much my point. Oram and Styris wouldn't make any test team in the world as bowlers, Tuffey is decent but no better than someone like Zaheer or Pathan, and certainly not as good as Srinath, and Bond has played what, a dozen tests?
    Okay Okay . oddly I seem to be rating the NZ bowlers a lot more than Indias support cast..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information