• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Selectors- Jokers OR Puppets??

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Regarding the question of selectors being a bunch of jokers/puppets.

One of the many flaws in Indian cricket (I can write a whole book on it but it wouldnt solve any problem!) is zonal selectors.

5 selectors compirising one from each zone. The zone replaces the selector if it finds its selector to be 'not good enough.' How will the zone judge a selector - by how many players he can bring into the squad from the zone he is representing.

It means a lot of unnecessary pressure on the selectors when the selection committee should really be an independent body in the true sense of the word.
One of the good things about having a zonal selection committee is that you pick a team from all over India, and not just the top six Ranji teams. Unfortnately, that's what has happened, despite the zonal selection policy. Some players the Indian team needed played for lesser teams like Railways and Haryana and thus missed out, while extras playing for Mumbai and Delhi made the national side. While the format of the selection committee may be debated, every zone in the country's scene has to be explored more carefully so that the selectors don't miss out on that one genuine all-rounder or tearaway fast bowler or future frontline spinner the Indian team needs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
One of the good things about having a zonal selection committee is that you pick a team from all over India, and not just the top six Ranji teams.
If there are too many matches for selectors to cover or too many teams, zones to focus on - areas can be allocated among selectors; additional scouts can be used.

But having a selector representing a zone leads to politics and pressure on the selectors.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
If there are too many matches for selectors to cover or too many teams, zones to focus on - areas can be allocated among selectors; additional scouts can be used.

But having a selector representing a zone leads to politics and pressure on the selectors.
That problem can be solved best by leaving the final word to the Chairman and a Deputy Chairman, while the others can merely recommend names. They would still have to pick relevant players, though.

Deja moo

International Captain
For those questioning the replacement of a middle order batsman by an opener, the answer is that you're not reading it right. On face value, it seems a straightforward swap, but it isnt.

It has been decided that Yuvraj is Indias number 6. Which means that Ganguly wouldnt find a place in the playing eleven. Since Gangs has been dropped, its pretty obvious that the next in line for a berth in the middle order is Kaif, not Ganguly. Why would you have two middle order batsmen on standby ? It doesnt make sense, especially when the guy second in line (and therefore less likely to get a game) is a former captain.

Now, this means that once the priorities have been sorted out, the one remaining berth in the squad needs to be filled by an opener, more so because Sehwag hasnt been declared fit yet. Why wouldnt you want back up in case Sehwag doesnt play the third test either ? Its pretty clear that Dravid isnt going to open again. Period. Not negotiable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
It has been decided that Yuvraj is Indias number 6. Which means that Ganguly wouldnt find a place in the playing eleven. Since Gangs has been dropped, its pretty obvious that the next in line for a berth in the middle order is Kaif, not Ganguly. Why would you have two middle order batsmen on standby ? It doesnt make sense, especially when the guy second in line (and therefore less likely to get a game) is a former captain.
It is more of a case of Ganguly being dropped after a rained off match and a match in which he made two small but useful scores.

After Sehwag coming into the squad it could very well be a case of one of Ganguly and Yuvraj sitting out of the first XI. Yuvraj taken as the player more suited for the job at the moment, the next question would arise:

Does Ganguly have to sit out the match but remain in the squad - a case of selectors showing he is still in the plans if a middle order batsman fails and had to be excluded because a regular opener returned to the squad.

Or is it a case of deciding that the performance was enough to decide that it is better to have a different player in line - Kaif in this case.

I do not think it would be unfair on Ganguly to be excluded from the XI if Dravid decided not to pursue opening. But it is unfair given the circumstances that he was dropped without a judgement on him passing or failing the test being able to be passed.

It is a different but more crucial matter that the selectors earlier would find any excuse to include Ganguly (all rounder) and the current one dropped him at one of the earliest opportunities.

Deja moo

International Captain
Its fairly obvious, without any room for doubt. The pecking order is Yuvraj, Kaif and then Ganguly.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Its sad to see this kinda treatment to ganguly, but I think only Sachin is exempt from such treatment, kumble and Dravid might have to face similar music some day too. If the selectors wanted to improve opening slot, why not use the current "flexible" theme they've been using in one days ang get Ganguly to open ? I mean he is probably on Indian top 3 best openers in one days ever.

Deja moo

International Captain
maxpower said:
Its sad to see this kinda treatment to ganguly, but I think only Sachin is exempt from such treatment, kumble and Dravid might have to face similar music some day too. If the selectors wanted to improve opening slot, why not use the current "flexible" theme they've been using in one days ang get Ganguly to open ? I mean he is probably on Indian top 3 best openers in one days ever.
The guy was in charge for 4 years. The fact that he wasnt prepared to push himself up the order during this period wouldnt encourage anyone else from making him do so.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
The guy was in charge for 4 years. The fact that he wasnt prepared to push himself up the order during this period wouldnt encourage anyone else from making him do so.
Besides there is the slightly, ever so slightly, relevant matter of his being somewhat unfit for the title of the greatest player of fast bowling in the world..... :sleep:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
maxpower said:
he is the 2nd best one day opener that india have had....but opening in one dayers and opening in tests are seriously different...and what is the point of making a player do a tougher job than what he had done for the whole of his career especially when he is clearly past his best?

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ganguly definitely did enough to retain his spot. However, he was outdone by Yuvraj and with Tendulkar, Laxman & Dravid all being 30+ it is now time to start grooming the youth. I can see Laxman being the next to go to make room for Kaif, perhaps in the next 2-3 years.

I have to admit after hating Ganguly through the last year or so, he has won me back as a fan by keeping quiet and letting his performances do the talking. If India wasn't so stacked with top-notch middle order batsmen, I would definitely have liked him to stick around.

He's a fighter and has been the most feisty and successful captain our country has produced. If he has played his last international match at Delhi, I'm glad he went out fighting. He will be remembered positively.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Besides there is the slightly, ever so slightly, relevant matter of his being somewhat unfit for the title of the greatest player of fast bowling in the world..... :sleep:
He was a great ODI opener in the 90s and early this millenium however. His ability has obviously fallen away, but even so he was a much better opener than Sehwag IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
He was a great ODI opener in the 90s and early this millenium however. His ability has obviously fallen away, but even so he was a much better opener than Sehwag IMO.
For test matches ??

In that case India could have solved there opener problem long ago :)

When Ganguly was struggling to find another opener how come he didnt volunteer to open ? Come to think there was an even better opener available in the team (by this criteria) one Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar !

No Jono, this doesnt carry weight. This is just slghtly less specious an argument than that Gabguly should be played as an all rounder.

I am of the opinion that he should have been in the squad but not as as an opener. I am sure Ganguly thinks so too.

By the way, from all accounts no one volunteered to open for the Delhi test too.

One more thing, if Ganguly wants to give himself the best chance to get back into the side, what better than starting to open for Bengal and East Zone and getting big hundreds. That will also show what he thinks of this idea. It is one thing to propound a theory to get a foothold in the doorway and quite another to believe in it. Ganguly doesnt believe in this one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Once again SJS comes up with his biased post full of hypocritical crap suggestions !!

For those of you suffering from selective dementia (and that includes the cheif selector who once called Syed Kirmani as a GoalKeeper just because Kiri didn't want the boy from Baroda as Wicket keeper)..here is a nice cricket link :-

"Well, everyone can see how hard it is to find a place in the Indian middle order in Tests. The obvious place where you might have a chance is opening the innings. So I decided to open in domestic cricket and give myself a chance. So, yeah, if I get a chance in Tests as an opener I'll certainly grab it."
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/134393.html

No marks for guessing though..It was because of this supernatural ;) talented batsman we messed up Chopra/Sehwag combination and this guy is back in the middle order..

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Anil said:
he is the 2nd best one day opener that india have had....but opening in one dayers and opening in tests are seriously different...and what is the point of making a player do a tougher job than what he had done for the whole of his career especially when he is clearly past his best?
yeah probably true, ganguly should've utilised his all rounder abilities and focused on taking wickets, because after AA who can IND look to for quality bowling :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
For test matches ??

In that case India could have solved there opener problem long ago :)

When Ganguly was struggling to find another opener how come he didnt volunteer to open ? Come to think there was an even better opener available in the team (by this criteria) one Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar !

No Jono, this doesnt carry weight. This is just slghtly less specious an argument than that Gabguly should be played as an all rounder.

I am of the opinion that he should have been in the squad but not as as an opener. I am sure Ganguly thinks so too.

By the way, from all accounts no one volunteered to open for the Delhi test too.

One more thing, if Ganguly wants to give himself the best chance to get back into the side, what better than starting to open for Bengal and East Zone and getting big hundreds. That will also show what he thinks of this idea. It is one thing to propound a theory to get a foothold in the doorway and quite another to believe in it. Ganguly doesnt believe in this one.
For some idiotic reason I completely misunderstood you thinking we were on ODIs. My mistake! Obviously Sehwag is a much better opener than Ganguly could ever be in tests.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
maxpower said:
yeah probably true, ganguly should've utilised his all rounder abilities and focused on taking wickets, because after AA who can IND look to for quality bowling :p
For corn's sake, enough of little AA!

While the omission of Ganguly and the selection of Jaffer may be debatable, the selectors could have done better by picking one seamer who can score runs. One of Munaf Patel, JP Yadav and Joginder Sharma would combine well with the top two frontline seamers, and if Agarkar can make the playing XI as a strike bowler, so can one of them. They may not get too many runs individually, but together with Irfan, they can make an impact. Munaf bowls fast and can bat like Justin Kemp, though he's relatively unproven. Joginder bats like Kaif (not some tailender) and bowls like Balaji (in fact, very similar), and has proven himself, but he too is new and lacks power. Yadav can fit in neatly in the team, but there may be a problem with someone bowling in the 120's in a Test side.

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Latest news on Indian TV channels is that Dalmiya has written a 3 Page letter to new Board President Sharad Pawar, asking him to intervene and include Ganguly in the team for the third test!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
foe said:
Latest news on Indian TV channels is that Dalmiya has written a 3 Page letter to new Board President Sharad Pawar, asking him to intervene and include Ganguly in the team for the third test!
Dalmiya is proposing a "super delector" in the form of the BCCI president who can over rule the selectors decisions whenever he thinks fit. We might as well do away with the selectors in that case. Let the BCCI President decide everytime. Dalmiya was probably doing that in real terms.

What will we do if there is an uproar on the BCCI president's decision ? Ask the Prime Minister to interven I suppose. Why not do away with the BCCI President also alongwith the selectors and let the Prime Minister handle the whole thing in that case.

What will we....

What a fine professional set up Mr Dalmiya wants to have :p

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
i reckon its gotta be a personal issue against Ganguly. Hes just going through a bad run (long run i know) but there were signs of a recovery. If they gave him until the Pakistan series atleast to prove himself maybe he could have done something. After all India did just win comprehensively and 39 and 40 is not awful. It's just not Ganguly at his best. I mean the man is one of the most successful Indian captains ever, he is vastly experienced and deserves more chances.Great talent may be coming but Ganguly is a proven batting talent with a lot of cricket left in him.