• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Children's Cricket Stories

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think it's time to tease you all further with another little extract:

Falconwood Prep was half an hour’s drive away along the main road by the River Braid. The school’s own cricket ground sat in prime position, sandwiched between the river and the main school building. Scott pointed out that, especially when compared to the increasingly worn-out front wall of Bradstock Primary, Falconwood looked like the kind of country house that his parents delighted in dragging himself and Claire round on every summer holiday.

The school was built from a pale grey mineral that Mr Heath identified as sandstone. It had one central hall, which had set of battlements, and two smaller, identical wings on either side, each with a sloping roof.

As the Bradstock team made their down towards the cricket pavilion, a white timber construction with black triangular beams forming a pattern across its roof, Mark suggested that it was a much sturdier building than their Class Six. Tim, meanwhile, was fascinated by what he thought was a similarity between Falconwood’s ground and the County Ground at Worcester.

‘Why do people build cricket grounds next to rivers when they just get flooded? It happens all the time at New Road and I bet it’s like that here too.’

‘I think it’s probably better that the cricket ground gets flooded than the school does.’ Tim had to admit that his classmate Adam’s suggested reason was likely to be close to the truth.

Minutes later, just after the Prep School’s Games Master called out, ‘Captains, please,’ Lewis turned to Scott. ‘Bat, yeah?’

‘Yeah. Pitch looks great and we haven’t got Danny. With a bit of luck we can get 80, 90 plus and then put them under pressure.’

Lewis was reminded of what he had said after the last game, ‘We’re due some luck.’

After the toss, Lewis walked glumly back towards his team mates. He caught Scott’s eye. ‘We’re still due some luck. Sorry, mate.’

This is the last extract you're getting - I can't post any more as I'll just give the plot away!

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
The school was built from a pale grey mineral that Mr Heath identified as sandstone. It had one central hall, which had set of battlements, and two smaller, identical wings on either side, each with a sloping roof.
Surely you mean 'which had a set of battlements?' :p

But yeah, good reading there Neil, can't wait for the whole thing

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
andyc said:
Surely you mean 'which had a set of battlements?' :p

But yeah, good reading there Neil, can't wait for the whole thing
Yes, I do, Andrew. I'm going to shoot my proof-readers.

Sudeep

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Yes, I do, Andrew. I'm going to shoot my proof-readers.
I hope that doesn't include me. I read the manuscript after midnight, and still spotted quite a few errors which your (other? - I could be one?) proof-readers hadn't. :p

By the way, if you need more proof-reading for the stuff after 17,000 words, I'm here. :)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Any chance as your chief scorecard writer you could email the rest through to me Neil. I haven't been able to speak to you for a bit (old peoples Christmas parties)

33/3from3.3

Neil Pickup said:
As the Bradstock team made their down towards the cricket pavilion
Well shoot me too
that should be
As the Bradstock team made their way down towards the cricket pavilion

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
33/3from3.3 said:
Well shoot me too
that should be
As the Bradstock team made their way down towards the cricket pavilion
Does ANYONE I send these things to actually read them properly?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This is an appeal for a title. I'm 114 pages in and about ten pages from completion, and I need a title!

Current ideas running along following like:
Bouncer School
On Guard
Taking Guard
Taking Strike

Help?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
What about a play on the name "School of Hard Knocks" - something like "School of Hard Hits" or "School of Good Knocks" or something? I'm thinking "School of...." is a good way to start it, anyway.

EDIT: Scratch all those, I've had more thoughts.

Pulling Together (my favourite)
Driving Forward
Through The Covers (although that sounds more like a sordid drama series :p )
Playing Forward
The Right Line
Good Length (an even more sordid drama series :p :naughty: )

That's about it for now.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
33/3from3.3 said:
Taking Middle(nick off from barney :p )
Out of the Park
Howzat
99not out
6 to win
sorry if they're crap
Looks like the best one to me.

well i can't do any better myself, my advice would be to take something from the plot and name it after that with the prefix of Bradstock - that way when you write more in the series you'll have a product identity. Say 'Bradstock: Opening Up' or something for the first one.

33/3from3.3

yes i had to think a while to come up with that gem
now seriously i only liked 99 notout & 6 to win

Last edited:

andyc

Neil Pickup said:
This is an appeal for a title. I'm 114 pages in and about ten pages from completion, and I need a title!

Current ideas running along following like:
Bouncer School
On Guard
Taking Guard
Taking Strike

Help?
I don't realy like Bouncer School but the others are good

andyc

Sudeep said:
I like Barney's Pulling Together.
Yeah, but it kinda sounds like gay ****. Despite that, I think it is probably one of the best suggestions I've seen so far, and since I can't think of any, I'm hardly one to talk anyway.