• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Children's Cricket Stories

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I can't pretend that didn't cross my mind when I was writing that bit. None of the fielders are going to be get stoned at any point, though.
:laugh:

Those were the glory days....any kind of rhyming to be had in the field in the book?

I'm in stitches just thinking about the whole of that particular game. What a classic. :laugh: :laugh:

If you need any help with proof reading or suggestions, pop down the road and ask as I'm home tomorrow night.

PY

International Coach
Just spent last 10 minutes reliving some of the funnier moments of that game with Neil and Kwek. :D

Quoted:
"A third of the team was under the influence of marajuana." (Not me or Neil I might add :p)

"One of whom ran someone out when they were backing up, at which point the batsman spat the dummy and kicked his helmet from the square to the boundary and threw his bat from about half way."
I should also add that due to this, the stoned guys couldn't stop giggling between themselves for about 5 minutes afterwards.

"All through these antics, Neil was coming up with stupid rhymes for our bowlers and fielders that were so bad that they were making us (the non-stoned folk) laugh hard but the stoned guys really couldn't cope with it and just started giggling and were unable to stop for a long time."

"One of the bowlers couldn't bowl because he was laughing so hard that he had to switch to spin bowling."

That's not it but the rest needs to be told from a neutral perspective. :p

Scorecard : http://caistor.play-cricket.com/scoreboard/scorecard.asp?id=12529
Match Report : http://caistor.play-cricket.com/content/view.asp?id=12596&cid=218&tid=14&referer=&fixture=&team=8742

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
James said:
and none of it mentioned in Neil's match report :p
Looking back on that, it's a pretty downright awful effort of a match report. Almost unrecognisable from the way I'm writing now, and only three and a half years ago.

Says a lot for some of our newer staff members, who are younger than I was then and already writing better.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
http://caistor.play-cricket.com/scoreboard/scorecard.asp?id=12532

what on earth happened there then - Pickup 6*(25) batting at 9?

surely you got man of the match for that effort Neil, after your 1-0-22-0 with the ball
This is what happened... a brave rearguard as we fought for a point and I managed to wind up the entire opposition team by constanting making reference to the weather and delaying things hugely. Moin Khan would've been proud.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
I can't pretend that didn't cross my mind when I was writing that bit. None of the fielders are going to be get stoned at any point, though.
Not even the West Indian all-rounder Liam?!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
After we decided to add a girl to the story (which, in the interests of representing reality, we really had to as most primary school cricket team do have girls in - there are even some tournaments that insist on having mixed sides), we had two options - one, make her reasonably useful or two, have her stand around being female and doing little else. Which there really wouldn't be much point in. Her character is quite central to the development of a few of the others, such as her 'little' brother, Scott.

We don't have any massively stereotypical nationalities in the book - no West Indians, no Indians, no Aussies, so I'm not sure where you've picked that up from. I don't think I can consciously say that any of the children are based on anything other than huge composites of multiple different real characters - well, except Tim, who's a parody of myself aged eleven but less dislikeable.

The coach/teacher, Mr Heath, is in his mid-twenties, and I'm not intending on mentioning his cricketing abilities anywhere in the book as I don't think it will add anything.

@ Archie: Does your 12 year old fancy reading the whole thing? I can reasonably easily get hold of kids (8-12 is the target audience) in the UK to see what they think of it, but if we're going to try publishing it internationally (hey, why not?!) I need to know whether I cross the cultural barrier/divide/chasm (;)) down under.
That's fantastic then. Keep it up, Neil! I'm really looking forward to reading the finished version.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Okay, we're now 16,000 words and sixty pages.

Bit of an appeal for help now - what are 11 year olds' sulks like? I'm not remembering back too effectively. Currently I'm thinking locking self away in bedroom and generally refusing to talk to anyone. Are there any more specifics I could add for realism?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Bit of an appeal for help now - what are 11 year olds' sulks like? I'm not remembering back too effectively. Currently I'm thinking locking self away in bedroom and generally refusing to talk to anyone. Are there any more specifics I could add for realism?
Well my 10yo cousin, who incidentally thinks what you've put up is pretty good, got in a bit of a mood yesterday and ran down to the bottom of the garden, sat down for a bit, then took some unnecessarily hard football shots, before coming back because he was cold.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:

Yeah I was in the same house with three ten year olds and two of them got in a bit of an argument. They basically refused to talk to each other and put on a very over the top angry facade, but after one of them was forced to apologise to the other they went right back to being friends

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The Baconator said:
Well my 10yo cousin, who incidentally thinks what you've put up is pretty good, got in a bit of a mood yesterday and ran down to the bottom of the garden, sat down for a bit, then took some unnecessarily hard football shots, before coming back because he was cold.
That sounds exactly like how I reacted after Exeter lost to York last February, except substituting "ran" with "trudged", "garden" for "yard", "he was cold" with "the oven was ready" and "football shots" with "drop kicks of an empty lemonade bottle".

Shouldn't take too much imagination to write this bit.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
Now finished five chapters out of eight. 74 pages and 20,000 words plus.

The 20,000th word? "I".
Wow go Neil. Can't wait to read a free copy of the finished thing ;)