• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Safest Records

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Cricketing records are broken every day. There are some, though, which may last millennia (unless Bradman's DNA is injected into some kid, Gattaca-style).
Which records are unlikely to be broken in the next 50 years?

Some are:

RE Foster's 287* on debut
Bradman's average of 99.94
Jim Laker's match figures of 19-90

Any others?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gavaskar's 36 off an over :p

While I definetely can't see any of the one's you listed being broken, except perhaps Foster's, there's a pretty good chance, given the pace of today's cricket, that GI Allott's 101 ball duck won't be broken.

Edit: Yes, it should be Sobers

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
andyc said:
Gavaskar's 36 off an over :p

While I definetely can't see any of the one's you listed being broken, except perhaps Foster's, there's a pretty good chance, given the pace of today's cricket, that GI Allott's 101 ball duck won't be broken.
It was Sobers who hit 36 :laugh:

Zinzan

Nice idea for a thread by the way.

Probably the safest for mine would be Hobbs 60,000 + firstclass runs and the 8th wicket firstclass partnership record of 433 between Sims and Trumper.

Deja moo

International Captain
Australias 21(?) consecutive ODI wins, unless of course, the ICC give away ODI status to new teams like they were peanuts.

Zinzan

ClownSymonds said:
Lara's Test and FC innings records might stand for a long time.
Not so sure his test record is set in concrete. With the rate in test cricket these days, Its not inconceivable that some could do a Hayden (380) on one of the minnow teams on a good track and go past 400 in an innings if the captain decided the record is on.

Slifer

International Captain
What about a team goin 15 years or 29 test series without losing. The team that did that is the WI by the way.

Deja moo

International Captain
Slifer said:
What about a team goin 15 years or 29 test series without losing. The team that did that is the WI by the way.
not with the amount of cricket teams play nowadays..

Dissector

International Debutant
Some other records that will be very hard to beat:
Murali's 5-wicket haul record in tests (48 and running)
Tendulkar's one-day centuries record (38 and running)
Bradman's 974 runs in a test series or alternatively his achievement of scoring a triple and two doubles in that series.
Everton Weekes scoring 5 centuries in consecutive innings
Gooch's 456 run aggregate in a test

One a more idiosyncratic note I am not even sure this is a record but India dropped three catches off three consecutive balls in a test against Zimbabawe recently. It will be a long time before that happens again, I think.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Charles Bannerman scoring 67.35% of his team's total in the first ever Test innings - no one has gotten close in the 1700-odd Test matches since.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
So I guess the fortune teller's right, I should have seen just what was there, and not some holy light.