• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Safest Records

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slifer said:
What about a team goin 15 years or 29 test series without losing. The team that did that is the WI by the way.
Kenya has never lost a test series since they became a country on Earth.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Adamc said:
Charles Bannerman scoring 67.35% of his team's total in the first ever Test innings - no one has gotten close in the 1700-odd Test matches since.
Lara's 375 was 63.23%.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dissector said:
Some other records that will be very hard to beat:
Murali's 5-wicket haul record in tests (48 and running)
Tendulkar's one-day centuries record (38 and running)

Bradman's 974 runs in a test series or alternatively his achievement of scoring a triple and two doubles in that series.
Everton Weekes scoring 5 centuries in consecutive innings
Gooch's 456 run aggregate in a test

One a more idiosyncratic note I am not even sure this is a record but India dropped three catches off three consecutive balls in a test against Zimbabawe recently. It will be a long time before that happens again, I think.
Records such as these that only really require longevity on the players half will inevitably be broken.

Dissector

International Debutant
Well they obviously require more than longevity ; the fact is that Sachin and Murali score one-day hundreds and take five-wickets at a significantly higher rate than other greats (excluding a few old-timers like Barnes and Grimmett). Note the size of the gap between them and the next best for the two records.
http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/TESTS/BOWLING/MOST_5WI_IN_CAREER.html
http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BATTING/ODI_MOST_100S.html

When it comes to Sachin I doubt too many players will match his longevity in the one-day game in the first place.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Robertinho said:
Lara's 375 was 63.23%.
Yeah I suppose, but still, it's quite remarkable that the record has stood for so long. Interestingly enough, Lara would have needed to score exactly 400 (out of 593) to break the record, so it's equivalent to someone scoring 400 in the first ever Test innings, and Lara's 375 117 years later being the next highest.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
Charles Bannerman scoring 67.35% of his team's total in the first ever Test innings - no one has gotten close in the 1700-odd Test matches since.
Slater came quite close... 123 out of 184 = 66.85% of the team total.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
benchmark00 said:
Noone will take Robert Key's 'ugliest player to play test cricket' record anytime soon.
If the sun keeps shining in his face.....scotty styris may be a contender (sorry scotty :p )

irfan

State Captain
Dissector said:
Some other records that will be very hard to beat:
Murali's 5-wicket haul record in tests (48 and running)
Tendulkar's one-day centuries record (38 and running)
Bradman's 974 runs in a test series or alternatively his achievement of scoring a triple and two doubles in that series.
Everton Weekes scoring 5 centuries in consecutive innings
Gooch's 456 run aggregate in a test

One a more idiosyncratic note I am not even sure this is a record but India dropped three catches off three consecutive balls in a test against Zimbabawe recently. It will be a long time before that happens again, I think.
Didnt Hayden get 4 in a row twice and woud have equalled Weekes if windies made more runs

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
Err...Murali?

Meh. Maybe. Warne's 75 ahead and still going, so we'll see.

Edit:

Murali's 33. Warne is 36. So I guess Murali is probably going to go past Warne, assuming he doesn't get some random injury that prevents him from playing cricket.

Last edited: