• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian XI: 1995-2005

howardj

International Coach
marc71178 said:
But then again they only bowl together on helpful wickets.
I think that's changing though. More likely, in the future, Warne and McGill will be paired on most wickets. Certainly, this summer for instance, they will have played together in Hobart, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
i remember him from the last ashes test in 97 but vaugely though, never saw him again after that, how good was in domestic competitions?
Sean Young was a pretty consistent performer for South Australia, never up to test standard but he was certainly better than Scott Muller. Another casualty of the SCG fence IIRC.

howardj

International Coach
James90 said:
Sean Young was a pretty consistent performer for South Australia, never up to test standard but he was certainly better than Scott Muller. Another casualty of the SCG fence IIRC.
Young, I think you'll find, played for Tassie. Quite a solid all-rounder, not up to Test standard though. Only got 'capped' because he was in the London area at the time of the Sixth Test in 1997. Muller, on the other hand, had a FC bowling average of 23 and certainly earned his Test cap. He didn't - despite Simon O'Donnell's remark - go that badly in the two Tests that he played. He picked up seven wickets.

C_C

International Captain
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
MEW
SRW
Gilly
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath
McGill(if the pitch isnt really pace-friendly) / Fleming ( if the pitch is pace-friendly).

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
howardj said:
Young, I think you'll find, played for Tassie. Quite a solid all-rounder, not up to Test standard though. Only got 'capped' because he was in the London area at the time of the Sixth Test in 1997. Muller, on the other hand, had a FC bowling average of 23 and certainly earned his Test cap. He didn't - despite Simon O'Donnell's remark - go that badly in the two Tests that he played. He picked up seven wickets.
Oh I was thinking of Brad Young. Did he play a few ODI's for Australia?

Scott Muller's still a dud. How many FC games did he play? Honestly, I saw him go for 28 runs in an over in a first grade match with large boundaries. He's a has-been.

howardj

International Coach
James90 said:
Oh I was thinking of Brad Young. Did he play a few ODI's for Australia?

Scott Muller's still a dud. How many FC games did he play? Honestly, I saw him go for 28 runs in an over in a first grade match with large boundaries. He's a has-been.
Scott Muller wasn't a complete dud. A champion? Hell no. But certainly not a dud.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Based on test stats the following XI is probably the worst. Some of these guys still have quite a career in front of them but here goes

1 M Elliott
2 G Blewett
3 S Katich
4 M Clarke
5 A Symonds
6 S Young
7 P Emery (might have played before 1995 but close)
8 B Hogg
9 N Bracken
10 B Williams
11 P Wilson

With respect to the best XI I think the team chosen by the experts is pretty good. Healy is the best gloveman so must be picked. Taylor was the best captain so that gets him brownie points ahead of better batsmen. McDermott is lucky but is a great bowler. I wouldn't pick MacGill or Lee as a replacement.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'd have Langer come in for Taylor, and I'd think seriously about bringing Boon in for Healy (and pushing everybody after the openers down the order).

And I'd most likely throw in Fleming in preference to McDermott, because of his greater movement (I'm assuming all choices are at good fitness).

In some ways it's a bit tough to know exactly when we're taking these players - ie, if they were ending their career around '95, are we to judge them from exactly how they were batting at that point? Too hard for me - I guess I'll just take them how I remember them through their careers in general.

open365

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I am amazed to see that many people rate Hayden ahead of Langer.
why?

1.Hayden
2.Langer
3.Ponting
4.Steve Waugh
5.Border
6.Martyn
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.McGrath
10.Gillespie
11.MacGill

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well we have had the test XI, what about the best ODI XI from about 1996 where i would say Australia started building a powerful ODI team to presently:

AC Gilchrist+
ME Waugh
RT Ponting
MG Bevan
SR Waugh (c)
MEK Hussey
A Symonds
SK Warne
B Lee
JN Gillespie
GD McGrath

Very powerful side with backup coming from Fleming, Martyn & Hogg for me in a probable 14-man squad.

Also what about a World XI of the same period to challenge them:

ST Jayasuriya
SR Tendulkar
BC Lara
A Flower+
Inzamam-ul-Haq
A Flintoff
CL Cairns
L Klusener
SM Pollock
Wasim Akram (c)
M Muralitharan

backup from Saqlain Mushtaq, Jaques Kallis & Waqar Younis. Would be a cracker of a ODI series i'd say.:cool:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden
Taylor
Ponting
M Waugh
Martyn
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Mcgrath
Fleming

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James90 said:
Elliott
Blewett
Love
Hodge
Symonds
Campbell (ODI's because the only keepers have been Gilchrist and Healy)
Hauritz
Robertson
Nicholson
Cook
Muller

Batting was particularly hard because they've all been good. Tait, Williams and Angel all unlucky to miss out on that side.
How could you have Love in the worst XI - that is a joke. He didn't have a chance to prove himself.

sideshowtim

Banned
I believe that our current ODI side (with McGrath in it) could beat any other Australian side of the past 10 years. We have such a strong batting line up and McGrath, Bracken and Lee are all marvellous one day bowlers.

oz_fan

International Regular
Aussie Test XI
Hayden
Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
Martyn
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Fleming
McGrath

World Test XI (Including Australians)
Tendulkar
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
Kallis
S Waugh
Gilchrist
S Pollock/Murali (depending on conditions)
Akram
Warne
McGrath

Unlucky - Donald, Dravid