• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

300 Test Wickets for Chaminda Vaas- A tribute

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas has just got his 300th Test wicket when Gambir was adjudged LBW to Vaas. :clapping: :clapping:

This man has been the unsung Hero of Sri Lankan Cricket for the last 10 years or more.

He holds several records including best bowling analysis in ODIs and was the leading bowler of the last World Cup.
Playing most of his Test Cricket in seamer unfriendly conditions in SL he has not had the success that other bowlers in much more friendlier conditions would get.
He works hard day in and day out and is one of the better exponents of reverse swing in Test Cricket today .

I take this opportunity to pay tribute to this great bowler and Sri Lankan hero -Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas - You are a Champion and I salute you and thank you for the years of contribution you have made to Sri Lankan cricket and World Cricket. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I hope and pray on behalf of Sri Lankan fans that you will continue on and get at least another 100 test wickets if not more .
Thank you , Chaminda .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
GREAT !!

But after Murali and him the next in Sri Lankan all time wicket takers is Jayasuriya with 92. I think Sri Lanka are heading for at least as serious a problem in three years time with their bowling as India are going to with Laxman, Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid all going around that time and no replacement of that caliber in sight.

HUGE voids in both teams before the end of this decade. If we have to see replacements they should be playing somewhere by now :sleep:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
GREAT !!

But after Murali and him the next in Sri Lankan all time wicket takers is Jayasuriya with 92. I think Sri Lanka are heading for at least as serious a problem in three years time with their bowling as India are going to with Laxman, Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid all going around that time and no replacement of that caliber in sight.
Don't forget Kumble.

Anyway, a great achievement by Vaas. I've always liked him as a player, and he's one of those who always gives 100%.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
If we have to see replacements they should be playing somewhere by now :sleep:
Well I did suggest dropping Ganguly from tests more than a year ago in a thread I started but for different reasons.

While your reasoning can hold good for one dayers with World Cup in mind in tests it is better to play with the best XI in most instances. So the reasoning of the void for tests is not some thing I agree with despite instances like Australia in the early 80s. Whether the current XI is the best XI is some thing which can be debated upon - a different issue.