• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web All Time World XI

Blaze

Banned
As a follow on from battle of the cricketers why don't we vote for a All Time World XI. Each day a different spot will be open for voting and whoever gets the most votes gains selection. I think we will start with a test side and then depending on how it goes we can do ODI's afterwards.

There will be no criteria on whether the side needs 2 genuine openers 1 all rounder, 1 spinner and 3 quicks etc. It will be up to each member to decide on who they want to fill each position. (although lets aim for the best balanced side possible please)

Ok so to start off we might as well begin with number 1 in the batting order (ie the first opener).

Voting will run until this time tomorrow.

howardj

International Coach
Sunny Gavaskar

Averaged 51 over 120 Test Matches. Moreover, averaged an astonishing 65 against the West Indies who, during his career, fielded some of the best quicks of all time. Fabulous player; fabulous temperament.

howardj

International Coach
more on gavaskar.....he played 27 matches against the Windies, and scored 13 hundreds (three of which were double hundreds) and seven half hundreds. What a player!

howardj

International Coach
grecian said:
Yeah, he was great, but hobbs is legendary :D
Holy crap - yeah I agree, looking at his stats, he was awesome. Would have played on uncovered pitches too, I guess.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Jack Hobbs 61,237 first-class runs and 197 centuries as well as a test average of 56.94 over 61 tests beats Gavaskar :happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs is one of the strongest competitors (along with Sobers, imo) for the best batsman after Bradman, and is a no-brainer in an all-time XI for me. So, Jack Hobbs. Second opening spot is a tossup between Gavaskar and one or two others.

Blaze

Banned
Some people are not making their votes clear. Can you make sure when you are posting that you clearly state who you are voting for.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
Some people are not making their votes clear. Can you make sure when you are posting that you clearly state who you are voting for.
Hobbs for me....but you really should have asked for the 2 openers together ....there really isn't any difference btween openers 1 and 2 is there??

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Hobbs for me....but you really should have asked for the 2 openers together ....there really isn't any difference btween openers 1 and 2 is there??
No your right, though I just wanted to see who people regarded as their number 1 opener of all time.

howardj

International Coach
I always knew Hobbs was a great opener! I was just trying to be helpful in providing Gavaskar's name as the second opener :p

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Gavaskar and Hobbs, in that order.

Bradman at 3

Sachin at 4

5 is a toughie.

6 would be Sobers/Imran

7 Gilchrist

8, 9, 10, 11....now thats going to be interesting..