• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web All Time World XI

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
How many other batsmen averaged 40+ against the top West Indian attack?

I also choose Hobbs and Sutcliffe as an opening pair.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Maybe you misunderstood my statement. I mean that it is a known fact that Gavaskar's record against Windies pace bowling is not as good as some people perceive it to be. But people ignore this I dont know why.
I understood what you said. My post was not aimed at you. :)

It was general. I just used your post to quote to maintain a continuity of subject :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ohtani's jacket said:
How many other batsmen averaged 40+ against the top West Indian attack?

Oh no one is dentying that Gavaskar was a great player. I am just putting his stats in perspective. There is a HUGE difference between an average of 45 and an average of 65.........HUGE

:p

PS : I would go for Hobbs and Sutcliffe too. They had what it takes to open in a test match and were more likely than any other pair to give you a great start.

Blaze

Banned
We have a winner. Jack Hobbs takes his spot as the number 1 opener in the side.

The votes went like this

Sutcliffe 1
Gayle 1
Smith 1
Boon 1
Hobbs 12
Gavaskar 5
Taylor 1
Haynes 1
Richards 1

The line up reads

1. J Hobbs
2. ____________
3. ____________
4. ____________
5. ____________
6. ____________
7. ____________
8 .____________
9 .____________
10.____________
11.____________

Voting for the Second Openerstarts now and ends this time tomorrow.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For me, after Hobbs, there's four of five guys that can contend for the second best opener spot of all time, including Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Hutton and Boycott, and perhaps Greenidge could stake a good claim as well.

I'd go with Gavaskar, marginally, though Hobbs and Sutcliffe were definately the greatest ever pair.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Oh no one is dentying that Gavaskar was a great player. I am just putting his stats in perspective. There is a HUGE difference between an average of 45 and an average of 65.........HUGE

:p

PS : I would go for Hobbs and Sutcliffe too. They had what it takes to open in a test match and were more likely than any other pair to give you a great start.
This list has 79 names, batsmen who averaged 45 or more (minimum 30 innings) in tests. Only ONE averaged above 65. BTW, Sutcliffe is 4th on the list and 1st amongst openers.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sutcliffe for me.........if nothing else it keeps the great opening partnership alive. Having said that IMO sutcliffe marginally pips gavaskar