• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian School Cricket

Blaze

Banned
Does anyone know (maybe Jack or Clarance will) if Australia runs a competition between the elite college first XI's in the country?

I know in NZ for example we have a competition involving the top 4 schools in the country (1 from each region) which are found through qualifying. (The Gillette Cup)

Any information would be great.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I know for a fact that my school are competing in a tournament called "Southern Skies" which is held in Brisbane. Rob's school in Melbourne plays in the comp and another team from Perth. I don't know if it's the elite colleges as such but it's something.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
there are a few games and comp's between schools from other states but AFAIK no organised competition which is coordinated country wide.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Queensland has a statewide knockout comp which runs throughout the year but to my knowledge the winner doesn't play any schools from other states.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
James90 said:
I know for a fact that my school are competing in a tournament called "Southern Skies" which is held in Brisbane. Rob's school in Melbourne plays in the comp and another team from Perth. I don't know if it's the elite colleges as such but it's something.
The Southern Skies Challenge website

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
James90 said:
james what school in brisbane do you go to

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Blaze said:
Does anyone know (maybe Jack or Clarance will) if Australia runs a competition between the elite college first XI's in the country?

I know in NZ for example we have a competition involving the top 4 schools in the country (1 from each region) which are found through qualifying. (The Gillette Cup)

Any information would be great.
In Melbourne, and I think other states, there's the "Lord's Taverners Cup" where the winners of all the respective school competitions play each other and a winner is determined. There used to be the "Gilette Cup", where the winners of the above competition would play each other for the title as the best school in the country, but that doesn't go on any more, since Gilette stopped sponsoring it.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course, don't pay too much attention to the Lord's Taverners Cup, because the best team was robbed this year. You know, net runrate, global warming, the observer effect... all had some hand in it.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
School cricket is not really a big deal at all here in NSW. If you're decent, you go through the grade ranks, as opposed to rugby where you can definitely get noticed playing schoolboys.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:
School cricket is not really a big deal at all here in NSW. If you're decent, you go through the grade ranks, as opposed to rugby where you can definitely get noticed playing schoolboys.
Much the same in Victoria.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
In Melbourne, and I think other states, there's the "Lord's Taverners Cup" where the winners of all the respective school competitions play each other and a winner is determined. There used to be the "Gilette Cup", where the winners of the above competition would play each other for the title as the best school in the country, but that doesn't go on any more, since Gilette stopped sponsoring it.
So it was the best the schools could get?

Is that my coat?