cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Australian School Cricket

  1. #1
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124

    Australian School Cricket

    Does anyone know (maybe Jack or Clarance will) if Australia runs a competition between the elite college first XI's in the country?

    I know in NZ for example we have a competition involving the top 4 schools in the country (1 from each region) which are found through qualifying. (The Gillette Cup)

    Any information would be great.

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,683
    I know for a fact that my school are competing in a tournament called "Southern Skies" which is held in Brisbane. Rob's school in Melbourne plays in the comp and another team from Perth. I don't know if it's the elite colleges as such but it's something.
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

    RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    there are a few games and comp's between schools from other states but AFAIK no organised competition which is coordinated country wide.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  4. #4
    U19 Cricketer Clarence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    429
    Queensland has a statewide knockout comp which runs throughout the year but to my knowledge the winner doesn't play any schools from other states.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,192
    Quote Originally Posted by James90
    I know for a fact that my school are competing in a tournament called "Southern Skies" which is held in Brisbane. Rob's school in Melbourne plays in the comp and another team from Perth. I don't know if it's the elite colleges as such but it's something.
    The Southern Skies Challenge website
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #6
    State Vice-Captain Right arm fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dunedin,New Zealand
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by James90
    I know for a fact that my school are competing in a tournament called "Southern Skies" which is held in Brisbane. Rob's school in Melbourne plays in the comp and another team from Perth. I don't know if it's the elite colleges as such but it's something.
    james what school in brisbane do you go to
    CW Red

  7. #7
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Does anyone know (maybe Jack or Clarance will) if Australia runs a competition between the elite college first XI's in the country?

    I know in NZ for example we have a competition involving the top 4 schools in the country (1 from each region) which are found through qualifying. (The Gillette Cup)

    Any information would be great.
    In Melbourne, and I think other states, there's the "Lord's Taverners Cup" where the winners of all the respective school competitions play each other and a winner is determined. There used to be the "Gilette Cup", where the winners of the above competition would play each other for the title as the best school in the country, but that doesn't go on any more, since Gilette stopped sponsoring it.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    Of course, don't pay too much attention to the Lord's Taverners Cup, because the best team was robbed this year. You know, net runrate, global warming, the observer effect... all had some hand in it.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Right arm fast
    james what school in brisbane do you go to
    St Peters. I didn't play in the comp this year but I will next year.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    School cricket is not really a big deal at all here in NSW. If you're decent, you go through the grade ranks, as opposed to rugby where you can definitely get noticed playing schoolboys.

  11. #11
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,568
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    School cricket is not really a big deal at all here in NSW. If you're decent, you go through the grade ranks, as opposed to rugby where you can definitely get noticed playing schoolboys.
    Much the same in Victoria.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,707
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    In Melbourne, and I think other states, there's the "Lord's Taverners Cup" where the winners of all the respective school competitions play each other and a winner is determined. There used to be the "Gilette Cup", where the winners of the above competition would play each other for the title as the best school in the country, but that doesn't go on any more, since Gilette stopped sponsoring it.
    So it was the best the schools could get?





















    Is that my coat?

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain Right arm fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dunedin,New Zealand
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by James90
    St Peters. I didn't play in the comp this year but I will next year.
    how do you guys compare to michington state school and brisbane grammer 1sts?

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,683
    Not even close.

  15. #15
    State Vice-Captain Right arm fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dunedin,New Zealand
    Posts
    1,415
    yea gramer beat us by 10 wickets man their grounds are awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Australian Cricket future, never looked so good
    By MrPerko in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 351
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
  3. A battle for the soul of Australian cricket
    By greg in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 14-09-2005, 09:15 AM
  4. Latest Press Release
    By James in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 23-03-2005, 04:25 AM
  5. Irony of The Australian Cricket Team
    By Hari Krishna in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •