• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stats Guru Comparisons

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Cricinfo's Stats Guru is a magnificent tool for comparing two players and their records.

I'll start us off....
Laxman vs. Vaughan

Similar number of matches. Similar averages. Vaughan has 400 more runs but the thing that seperates them is conversion rates. Both have good records against Australia, better than their career records and even better are their records against Australia. Surprisingly Laxman's record in Asia is worse that his overall career record whereas Vaughan seems to do better on pitches similar to those at home.

What does this prove? Not a lot...but I think it's interesting

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
6 failures in 52 matches is hardly proof that he was overrated. It simply shows that he was probably slightly more vulnerable early on than someone like Jack Hobbs. The fact that he could average 100 despite the failures you highlighted suggests that he was virtually invincible when set.
Think it was a joke.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
He's obviously Joking 8-)
Yes, just showing that if your selective enough with the stats you can prove just about anything (except for anything good on Rikki Clarke)

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, just showing that if your selective enough with the stats you can prove just about anything (except for anything good on Rikki Clarke)
6 failures in 52 matches is not even close to proof.

a massive zebra

International Captain
But not proof that he was overrated, which was your original contention.

Obviously everyone will have a low average if you only include scores under 5, it is not the average in such instances but the frequency of these scores that matters.