• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best Umpire ATM ?

Who is the best Umpire at the moment ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard that Windies Cricket board had sent an official complaint about the quality of umpiring in the recent Australian tour.

Steve Bucknor has come under criticism by Indian fans for his stinkers against India during the Aussie tour to India.
Daryl Harper's stinker decisions on and aff in recent times against Sri Lanka are not infrequent . (Most recent one against Mahela Jayawardene in the recently concluded meaningless Test of 1 and 1/4 days at Chennai).
The Aussies apparently think poorly of Billy Bowden for some reason. (according to recent poll - was it by Wisden Australia or Baggy Green.com)
Rudi has been under criticism on and off for some of his umpiring .

I just thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone's views were on the current Elite Panel -

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen Taufel umpire in years for the reason that the only tests I watch are those featuring Australia and/or Bangladesh. So I voted for him because everyone I've seen is crap :)

Slow Love™

International Captain
James90 said:
I haven't seen Taufel umpire in years for the reason that the only tests I watch are those featuring Australia and/or Bangladesh. So I voted for him because everyone I've seen is crap :)
There may be quite a few votes using that formula in this poll. :)

I'll go for Dar. And I think Bowden is decent. Er, yeah...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bowden is decent, despite some stinkers against Australia recently, which would be the reason for the vote. Koertzen is also a good umpire, again despite many poor decisions against Australia recently, especially in the Ashes where he was shocking at times. The final day of the Old Trafford test was some of the best umpiring I have ever seen though, and for that Bowden gets major credit.

Dar and Taufel are a class above, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rudi was pretty average in the Pakistan-England series tho. Jones's LBW was possibly the worst decision I've seen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
I put in my vote for Steve Bucknor. Surprisingly, it appears that nobody agrees with me
I think Bucknor might. Other than that ........

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bowden is decent, despite some stinkers against Australia recently, which would be the reason for the vote. Koertzen is also a good umpire, again despite many poor decisions against Australia recently, especially in the Ashes where he was shocking at times. The final day of the Old Trafford test was some of the best umpiring I have ever seen though, and for that Bowden gets major credit.

Dar and Taufel are a class above, though.
I think Rudi is downright awful. I'd only have Bucknor behind him, and I think they're both a class below the rest of the guys on the panel at the moment.

A lot of bad calls are tight calls. Naturally they often get exaggerated to "terrible calls", but Rudi frequently makes some of the worst blunders you could ever see, where they're not anywhere near close. The 50/50's are always tough, and I think that umpires often get unfairly pilloried for getting them wrong, but Koertzen gets too many 95/5 calls plain wrong. And he's been doing it for too long, too.