cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do people watch ODIs?

School Boy/Girl Captain

why do people watch ODIs?

I dont get it!

Once perhaps when tests were controlled by batsmen who turned them into boring wars of attritions by batting forever to secure a draw with a possibility of winning. but now??

I usually get the answer that its to see big hits, more fours and sixes. This is a frustrating answer as its wrong.

tests have never been greater, ODIs are an exhibition in defence. can we ever get rid of this nonsense.

Would you care to elaborate, my feeble mind is confused.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

I must say i really do prefer to watch a test match but a really good one day international that doesnt happen all that often is a great spectacle

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    This poster is absolutely correct. These days one-dayers are much more defensive than tests. Defensive bowling, defensive field settings, everyone except the batsman inhibited and afraid to play their natural game.

In tests everyone (including batsmen) are comparatively uninhibited so it's a much truer test of cricketing skill.

btw, I think a bit more bravery by fielding captains could make ODIs more interesting. Attacking fields + attacking batting will lead to some massive scores conceded, but fundamental cricketing logic tells me that in a majority of cases it will lead to the batting side being dismissed more cheaply.

The thing I can't believe in ODI's is why captains don't have a short cover, and short mid-wicket, more often - from overs 15-50. Such an attacking move would not only result in the odd catch, but you'd really limit the number of quick singles - taken on either side of the wicket - that batsmen seem so fond of. Instead, captains are stuck in this defensive mind-set that all of the guys inside the circle have to be right back on its very edge. Even bat-pads, or silly mid-off's, are way under-used in ODI's. I remember a few years ago when Shane Warne took the reigns of the Australian team for a games. Anyway, he employed such field placings, and it really added an extra dimension to the innings.
    Last edited by howardj; 09-12-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i like all 3 forms of cricket, all for different reasons but they are all good.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

PY
    There aren't three forms of cricket. There's two.

Test cricket, OD cricket is the runty little brother and Twenty20 is a cheap imitation.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Aside from watching specific players (like Lance Klusener, Gillie or Jayasuriya, for example), ODI's don't hold a great deal of interest for me. The only interesting bits seem to be the first 15 overs when batsmen are looking to play over the top and bowlers are actually looking to get batsmen out and then the last 10 when the slog is on. Other than that, batsmen just play the gaps to the sweepers and bowlers bowl nothing balls outside off-stump.

Incidentally, the use of sweepers in Tests as we've seen Michael Vaughan and Rick Ponting use is a defensive field-placing I could definitely do without seeing.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Search me

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Aside from watching specific players (like Lance Klusener, Gillie or Jayasuriya, for example), ODI's don't hold a great deal of interest for me. The only interesting bits seem to be the first 15 overs when batsmen are looking to play over the top and bowlers are actually looking to get batsmen out and then the last 10 when the slog is on. Other than that, batsmen just play the gaps to the sweepers and bowlers bowl nothing balls outside off-stump.
    Can't really agree with that tbh. Surely the slogging at the beginning and end is what makes ODI cricket truly ridiculous and redundant.

School Boy/Girl Captain What-A-Player's Avatar
    Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asis

So Players like Afridi get to keep their job

Because it's on TV.
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

And more people go to the grounds so they can watch a whole match with a result and see all their favourite players bat and/or bowl.

I went to about 5 First-Class matches which Steve Waugh played in but never saw him bat. I would have if I went to a one-day match though.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Actually they watch LOIs thinking its ODIs

I enjoy going to watch a test match than a One-Dayer personally. At home, might be a little different... actually no, test matches for me. You see more cricket, you see more accurate representation of skills and abilities, the tension builds up after a batsman has blocked away the last 4 maidens... Test cricket = much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information