Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how good did Vaughan used to be?

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar

how good did Vaughan used to be?

i first started watching cricket after his golden Australia tour when he scored 3 big hundreds,then he seemed to rated as the best in the world.

Captaincy has almost defintely affected his batting and personaly,i wouldn't mind if he gave it up.

so just how good is he potentialy if he got back to his old self?he looks so didgy now,i just can't trust him to play any kind of innings under any circumstance.

Well Vaughan was a wonderful player and still has the potential to make high scores (for example his 166 vs Australia in the Ashes). Although the captaincy has prevented him from scoring as big consistently, I still think he has the potential to be one of the highest ranked players in the world like he was in the Australia tour 2003.

State Captain
    What people sometimes forget is that it wasn't just his performances in Australia that gave him his status. It may have been what gave him respect in Australia, but for sheer beauty the Indian summer that immediately preceded it was to many English eyes even better. And don't forget the immediate test preceding his captaincy where he scored a match saving 150 vs a rampant South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by open365
    i first started watching cricket after his golden Australia tour when he scored 3 big hundreds,then he seemed to rated as the best in the world.

Captaincy has almost defintely affected his batting and personaly,i wouldn't mind if he gave it up.

so just how good is he potentialy if he got back to his old self?he looks so didgy now,i just can't trust him to play any kind of innings under any circumstance.
    Never rated as being best in the world.

Dodgy technique has been found out and until he addresses it, it wont matter whether he's captain, vc, or orange boy, he wont score runs as consistently as in the past.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    Never rated as being best in the world.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/2946867.stm
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Vaughan, against India in 2002, and against the Aussies, was absolutely outstanding. Bowlers couldn't bowl to him anywhere. His cover drive was even better then than it was now, and the sight of him swatting length balls over backwards square leg for six on one leg was regular. There weren't many around better than him at the time.

Different story now, though.

big Michael form lords 2002 vs Sri Lanka to edgbagston 2003 vs SA was absolutely superb has barney rightfully said bowlers couldn't bowl to him anywhere. But definately his series down under was the bomb, it proved to me that when he is in form he is the most elegnat bastman of the last decade with that cover drive & that pull shot

I am sure of this because i saw two other series when Tendulkar in 98 & Lara in 99 where in top from againts the aussies & even they didn't look has good as Vaughan in 2002, hopefully he will get back that touch soon...

Tim
    He's not a particularly good fielder either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    He's not a particularly good fielder either.
    That's being generous.

Tim
    Well I mean, surely as Captain it must hit you hard when you mis-field or drop a catch. Everyone looks to you to lead by example and it never looks good when the Captain is making mistakes in the field.

Since becoming Captain, he's under the spot-light more when it comes to fielding & on-field captaincy.

The only two people to really impress my with consistent performances in Australia have been Laxman and Vaughan
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

So we should trust the credibility of dodgy ICC rankings (which, BTW, rank Kallis as world's leading all-rounder at present)?

Quote Originally Posted by social
    So we should trust the credibility of dodgy ICC rankings (which, BTW, rank Kallis as world's leading all-rounder at present)?
    So you're saying Kallis isn't the leading all-rounder at present?

Quote Originally Posted by James90
    So you're saying Kallis isn't the leading all-rounder at present?
    I'd say Freddie is a better all-rounder than Kallis at present

State Captain
    He remains one of the best players of spin in world cricket. It will be interesting to see how he does if, and even in India it's a big if, he can get past the medium pacers in India.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information