• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's number 2 ?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
From Cricinfo I read this extract:

"And finally, how good are England?
The Ashes posed this question to Australia as soon as it became clear that for the first time since becoming undisputed leaders, their batsmen found themselves confronted with a pace attack that was, in the conditions, better than even theirs. That Matthew Hayden is back to pulverising centuries puts the performance of Australian batsmen in perspective. But Australia, despite their Ashes loss, remain the number one Test side by a distance, while England have just learnt from their Pakistan experience that without conquering the subcontinent, they cannot advance an unchallenged claim to the No.2 status, let alone aspiring to be No.1. They have had a wonderful two-year run, but it is not a coincidence that their previous defeat had come in Sri Lanka. India wouldn't be any easier in a couple of month's time, but hopefully England have absorbed their lessons. India have the chance to grab the second spot if they can beat Sri Lanka, but a points-based ranking system can rarely tell the full story. The battle for No.2 has just begun. We have four interesting months ahead of us."

Sure Australia are still considered number 1 in the world despite what Ian Botham thinks, but even a one-eyed Aussie like me has to admit that England are clearly number 2 (ie. definitely not number 3)

I mean, who are the other contenders at the moment?

You can't write England off after one bad series against Pakistan just like you couldn't write Australia off after one bad series against England.

Some people seem to have short memories.

edit: in italics

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just read that article as you posted this thread. England are the number 2 test team in the world, but if they lose to India after already losing to Pakistan, it won't be as 'clear' as it was after the Ashes.

Number 1 isn't even close IMO. Even if they beat India. That'd put them closer however.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think the writer was saying that England aren't number 2. He was just saying that their status as number isn't beyond question.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not that I place too much store by the ICC's rankings, but won't we lose our official no. 2 status if India beat us in the new year?

I think I probably agree with the gist of the article, we might be no. 2, but there's clearer water between us & Oz than between us & India (?) or whoever are no. 3.

Being a pessimist by nature I sometimes think that The Ashes may have been our peak rather than a camp on the way to the summit. Hope I'm wrong tho.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
BoyBrumby said:
Not that I place too much store by the ICC's rankings, but won't we lose our official no. 2 status if India beat us in the new year?

I think I probably agree with the gist of the article, we might be no. 2, but there's clearer water between us & Oz than between us & India (?) or whoever are no. 3.

Being a pessimist by nature I sometimes think that The Ashes may have been our peak rather than a camp on the way to the summit. Hope I'm wrong tho.
I think England will be up there for some years to come. That side is pretty young.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
sqwerty said:
I think England will be up there for some years to come. That side is pretty young.
That's true, but the cornerstone of our recent success has been our pace quartet & they're all into their late 20s now & I can't see any of them having McGrathesque longevity. Fred & Jonah have both had ankle spurs in the last year, Harmy has previously said he'll perhaps play another 3 years & dear old Hoggy seems ever more reliant on the new cherry.

Like I said, hope I'm wrong tho! :p

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
BoyBrumby said:
That's true, but the cornerstone of our recent success has been our pace quartet & they're all into their late 20s now & I can't see any of them having McGrathesque longevity. Fred & Jonah have both had ankle spurs in the last year, Harmy has previously said he'll perhaps play another 3 years & dear old Hoggy seems ever more reliant on the new cherry.

I'd love it if Australia found players in their late 20's.
I know they're batsmen but for all the qualities of guys like Hodge and Hussey they are still past their late 20's.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
England aren't number two. India are better, and Pakistan are as well, as they will prove by beating England in England after stomping 'em in Pakistan.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fred's back is due to give way within the next 6 months. I certainly don't believe he'll be playing in the next Ashes series.

I know they're batsmen but for all the qualities of guys like Hodge and Hussey they are still past their late 20's.
And batting better than they ever have.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
As far as I know, India are only one point behind England at this moment, and they will take the official number 2 position if they can beat Sri Lanka 2-0. I think if they win by one test, they'll be equal on points.

Of course, then they have to fend off Pakistan away, before a likely battle for the second-best spot against England.

Slifer

International Captain
All this jostling for number 2 is really givin me goose bumps. its good for cricket in the long run just hope that these 3 teams (Ind, Eng, Pak) and even RSA can consistently challenge Australia into the near and distant future.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Wasn't that in ODIs only though.
I vaguely remember a quote from Vaughan about Harmison probably not playing beyond his 30th b'day. Might have remembered it wrong though.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:

You have Robbie Williams in your avatar. :laugh: :laugh:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
That wouldn't be so bad. After all, Test cricket is about making history.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:
You can't write England off after one bad series against Pakistan just like you couldn't write Australia off after one bad series against England.
There is a BIG difference between England's loss at the hands of Pakistan and Australia's at the hand of England.

Australia's loss in the Ashes came after having won 14 of the previous 16 series (the other two being drawn.

Englands loss came after having won 8 of the previous 16 series, (4 of the wins against minnows Bangladesh-3 and Zimbabwe 1) lost 4 and drawn 4.

Australia's loss was an aberration for them as was Englands win in the Ashes.

To compare that with Englands loss to Pakistan is not accurate.