• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

dravid is grossly unheralded

donwasaverage

Cricket Spectator
why? i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess and his is higher than the mighty

tendulkar's. and yet he is constantly made to stand in his shadow. why?

i know he perhaps isn't such a breathtaking shotmaker but surely 57.62 speaks for itself. that's also better than

kallis, hobbs, hutton, ponting, richards, gilchrist, hayden and...lara.

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess"

Averages are overated these days, there are far too many batsmen who average 50+ who are not as good as their numbers suggest. What happened to 40 being a good average? The 50 barrier should be reserved for the greats so why so many above that mark in today's game?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Plenty of people on this board rate Dravid as one of the best batsman going around today. He's not 'unheralded'.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Dravid is unherald. Whilst people really seem to love Sachin, Sewag or Laxman Dravid really is lost amongst the big names.
That being said, I respect him almost equally with Tendulkar. He's a great bat.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid is not really underrated anymore. I'm sure most fans here consider him one of the top 5 batsmen in the world and one of the top two batsmen for india (the best at the moment). his style of play might not be as explosive and exciting and his career might not be as illustrious as tendulkar's, so that's why he is "in his shadow".

What-A-Player

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its the same with Inzamam, he is a great bat but not much in the media. Infact, I think it helps these guys to perform better when there is no pressure on them(i.e, the media)

I

deeps

International 12th Man
I rate Dravid as number 1 in the world atm.

The only people that come close: Jacques Kallis, Inzamam Ul Haq

Small gap

Ricky Ponting

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
I rate Dravid as number 1 in the world atm.

The only people that come close: Jacques Kallis, Inzamam Ul Haq

Small gap

Ricky Ponting
Perhaps I should start a "Lara is grossly unheralded" thread. ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jono said:
Plenty of people on this board rate Dravid as one of the best batsman going around today. He's not 'unheralded'.
Yep, I'm one of them... I'd rather have Dravid batting for my team/life than Tendulkar, and thats saying a lot..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
donwasaverage said:
i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess.
Does no-one else find it ironic that one who goes by the name of "donwasaverage" would post that?

howardj

International Coach
Dravid is not under-rated.

He gets just as much acclaim as Ponting and Kallis.

Those three, I'd say, are the pre-eminent batsmen in the world.

Langeveldt

Soutie
ja everyone knows that, but you don't see people worshipping him like they do Lara and Tendulkar (despite the fact that he's probably better).. It must be something to do with the flair and agressiveness of the afforementioned

deeps

International 12th Man
Adamc said:
Perhaps I should start a "Lara is grossly unheralded" thread. ;)
you can if u want, but i'm talking current form, and lara, apart from the 200 against australia, hasn't been in great form.

Lara's good innings, are better than Dravid's good innings, but Dravid's bad innings, are much better than Lara's bad innings. (if that makes sense)

Dravid to me, is much more reliable and consistent, Lara will play the occasional thriller innings, but needs to do it more consistently.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
you can if u want, but i'm talking current form, and lara, apart from the 200 against australia, hasn't been in great form.

Lara's good innings, are better than Dravid's good innings, but Dravid's bad innings, are much better than Lara's bad innings. (if that makes sense)

Dravid to me, is much more reliable and consistent, Lara will play the occasional thriller innings, but needs to do it more consistently.
Prior to arriving in Australia Lara had scored 4 centuries in his last 5 Tests, so I don't really think he's out of touch at the moment. He was sawn off at least twice in the last Test series as well, and I hardly think his failure in the 'Super Series' is indicative of form (it wasn't in the case of most of the other players, anyway).

Lara seems to be the type of batsman who people will consider 'out of form' if he goes even a few innings without a century. Meh, can't be bothered arguing the point at this hour. :sleep1:

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Dravid may seem unheralded because he does not have the attacking flair of Tendaulkar, Lara and the other great batsman, but, similar to many others here, I regard him very highly.

deeps

International 12th Man
Adamc said:
Prior to arriving in Australia Lara had scored 4 centuries in his last 5 Tests, so I don't really think he's out of touch at the moment. He was sawn off at least twice in the last Test series as well, and I hardly think his failure in the 'Super Series' is indicative of form (it wasn't in the case of most of the other players, anyway).

Lara seems to be the type of batsman who people will consider 'out of form' if he goes even a few innings without a century. Meh, can't be bothered arguing the point at this hour. :sleep1:

and ur right :p

I didnt' realise it. I just had a look at his last few matches, and he's got gd scores against SoutH africa and Pakistan. So he is indeed in good form, and i guess i just missed it. I wasn't judgint on the Super Series. I hardly consider that important

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jason_M said:
"i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess"

Averages are overated these days, there are far too many batsmen who average 50+ who are not as good as their numbers suggest. What happened to 40 being a good average? The 50 barrier should be reserved for the greats so why so many above that mark in today's game?
i agree,maybe the game has got more batsman orientated or something because i think averages have been inflated over the players' worth.

i personally wouldn't mind seeing all averages not including matches against minnow nations though its never going to happen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well it is true to a large extent though not as much as it was a couple of years ago.

India has only Gods and Demons. Nothing in between. Our current cricketing God is still Sachin and the demons spot is being pushed under Greg Chappell by a media desperate for the villains they need to add 'masala' (spices) to their daily soaps.

Dravid is a star but not a STAR as in STAR !!! He is goodlooking but is a decent goody-goody way. He doesnt look like someone who is going to bash the opposition into pulp and dance on its remains as our Bollywood stars would do. Thus Sehwag is a superstar and Dhoni is one in the making.

He speaks far too softly and hesitatingly to be a hero or a SUPERSTAR. Superstars are confident and a touch arrogant and drive around with ***y young things at whom they look with quizzical smiles when a patrol pump attendant asks a silly question. Thus Yuvraj is a superstar.

They come either from royal backgrounds and look like they are living their lives on a pedestal looking down upon all and awestruck sundry OR they come from humble backgrounds and mock the barriers of class and do it with their broken/faulty English which they drop every now and then to go back to their earthy vernacular but on the field they are the monarchs of all they survey. Thus the vastly different Pataudi jr and Kapil Dev are superstars.

Superstars dont come from middle class backgrounds with solid education, good manners, decent looks, arranged marriages (and no affairs). And if they are like this AND come from Southern India they cant be superstars. NO not in India :)

The media doesnt think so, the TRP ratings dont show it and who are fans to argue with TRP ratings :sleep:

adharcric

International Coach
SJS said:
Well it is true to a large extent though not as much as it was a couple of years ago.

India has only Gods and Demons. Nothing in between. Our current cricketing God is still Sachin and the demons spot is being pushed under Greg Chappell by a media desperate for the villains they need to add 'masala' (spices) to their daily soaps.

Dravid is a star but not a STAR as in STAR !!! He is goodlooking but is a decent goody-goody way. He doesnt look like someone who is going to bash the opposition into pulp and dance on its remains as our Bollywood stars would do. Thus Sehwag is a superstar and Dhoni is one in the making.

He speaks far too softly and hesitatingly to be a hero or a SUPERSTAR. Superstars are confident and a touch arrogant and drive around with ***y young things at whom they look with quizzical smiles when a patrol pump attendant asks a silly question. Thus Yuvraj is a superstar.

They come either from royal backgrounds and look like they are living their lives on a pedestal looking down upon all and awestruck sundry OR they come from humble backgrounds and mock the barriers of class and do it with their broken/faulty English which they drop every now and then to go back to their earthy vernacular but on the field they are the monarchs of all they survey. Thus the vastly different Pataudi jr and Kapil Dev are superstars.

Superstars dont come from middle class backgrounds with solid education, good manners, decent looks, arranged marriages (and no affairs). And if they are like this AND come from Southern India they cant be superstars. NO not in India :)

The media doesnt think so, the TRP ratings dont show it and who are fans to argue with TRP ratings :sleep:
damn, good stuff there.