• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

dravid is grossly unheralded

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
And if they are like this AND come from Southern India they cant be superstars. NO not in India :)
yeah us southies are just damn madrasis to you northies right? :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
yeah us southies are just damn madrasis to you northies right? :D
:D

You do lack glamour you know . I mean look at MAC vs IS Bindra or Dalmiya :)

Or Venky vs Prabhakar !

Laxman vs Jadeja :)

You guys are too straight to be noticed :p

You are the ones that mothers-in-law hope the daughter will find and Northies are the ones they (daughters not mothers) actually run off with :p Now you cant blame Northies for being in the news can you :D

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jason_M said:
"i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess"

Averages are overated these days, there are far too many batsmen who average 50+ who are not as good as their numbers suggest. What happened to 40 being a good average? The 50 barrier should be reserved for the greats so why so many above that mark in today's game?
There are 8 batsmen i think who average 50 and have played 50 tests i would be interested to see what the figure would be 20 years ago although people did play less test matches so 50 tests would be a harder milestone to reach. However out of those 8 batsmen olny hayden i would say is not a great player

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
:D

You do lack glamour you know . I mean look at MAC vs IS Bindra or Dalmiya :)

Or Venky vs Prabhakar !

Laxman vs Jadeja :)

You guys are too straight to be noticed :p

You are the ones that mothers-in-law hope the daughter will find and Northies are the ones they (daughters not mothers) actually run off with :p Now you cant blame Northies for being in the news can you :D
You know, that can really hurt a 22 year old guy who respects your opinion, you know. :(

;) Juz kidding. :D

Sudeep

International Captain
donwasaverage said:
why? i regard test averages to be the most telling indication of batting prowess and his is higher than the mighty

tendulkar's. and yet he is constantly made to stand in his shadow. why?

i know he perhaps isn't such a breathtaking shotmaker but surely 57.62 speaks for itself. that's also better than

kallis, hobbs, hutton, ponting, richards, gilchrist, hayden and...lara.
Come to India, and you'll get to see Dravid being revered as much as Sachin.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Come to India, and you'll get to see Dravid being revered as much as Sachin.
Sure, but two things need to be remembered.

1. He had to do much more than Sachin to reach that stage (and its not exactly the same stage).

AND

2. Let him have a run of scores like Sachin has had since 2 years and see what happens to him vis-a-vis the public :sleep:

This is not to run down Sachin but to show that there are heroes and there are HEROES . Dravid is highly respected, greatly admired but Sachin is a part of the self esteem of an Indian. A negative attribute/comment on Sachin or his performance really really hurts and we react very sharply. Sachin CANT fail. He doesnt need excuses ofr failure, we wil keep inventing new ones for him.

Of course, one day (I hope that day never comes) we will run out of them and our devotion wil run thin but that day when it does come, if at al, wont see another deity getting plonked on the vacant pedestal. No Sir.

We would love to have in Dravid, the next God but no, he doesnt fit into the pantheon. That something is missing.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dravid is not unheralded in my opinion. He is just unspoken of. There is not much drama to the man - he can be renamed 'Mr. No controversy' from 'The wall' and it wouldnt be wrong. Any doubts regarding this? How many Indian captains in history have been talked so less like Dravid has been in recent times?

The man is focussed, does his job and leaves very little doubt or reason to talk.

Lara and Tendulkar have flair. People have opinions regarding Ponting, Kallis and Inzamam which is very varied. Dravid has subtle beauty and does his job and not much else. And non cricket wise - to think about it, except the ball tampering controversy in a one dayer how much has the man had people talking unnecessarily? Not much.

There are a lot of other reasons for Dravid not being talked about much. This may mean non cricket fans looking for cricket stuff in the news papers or even a few cricket fans may feel Dravid is unheralded. This is beginning to change a bit as far as India is concerned though not a lot.

But among true cricket fans Dravid is heralded and very much admired.

deeps

International 12th Man
yes but what the OP means i think, is that when people are talking about the best batsman in the world atm, people will say

"oh brian lara is awesome"
"nah, sachin is the best"

and some people might throw in names like Ponting, and to a lesser extent Kallis.

Dravid doesn't get mentioned as often as he should, imo, going on recent form, Dravid is right up there, and i believe he's number 1.

Boofra

Cricket Spectator
Dravid is unheralded in a way, much like Kallis, but thats to do with the way he bats. Im sure most knowledgable cricket fans would agree that Dravid is right up there with the likes of Lara and Ponting based on performances over the last few years, but its just that he doesnt rate on the list of players people would like to watch. Hence he sometimes doesnt get the same attention as the likes of Lara, Ponting, Sachin and even Gilchrist.

But based on performance theres no doubt that Dravid has sealed his place in history. Infact he's been the best bastman of the decade so far IMO, marginally ahead of Lara and Ponting. Not only does he score big runs, but he also scores them when they're most needed. Just off the top of my head i can think of a few vital innings he's played for India when theyve been desperately needed. The 180 vs Aus in 2001 (which people tend to forget because of Laxamn's knock), the 240 and 60no vs Aus in Adelaide, his 270 odd vs Pak and the twin tons vs Pakistan at home...all to win a test. Theres no doubt he's a genuine superstar of the game and India's number one batsman right now.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd put Kallis ahead of Dravid at the moment. Kallis has 8 centuries and 10 50s in his last 20 matches, with 2 innings (2 50s) coming against Zimbabwe. He averages about 76 in that period. Dravid averages 61 in his last 20 matches, with as many ducks as centuries - 4. One of those centuries came against Bangladesh, and two big half-centuries came against Zimbabwe. If Kallis performs well against Australia, I think that everyone will be forced to regard him as the best batsman in the world. I would also consider putting Inzamam-ul-Haq and Ricky Ponting, among others, above Dravid at the moment

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
We can tie ourselves in knots to argue whether Dravid is unheralded or not. That will come down to defining "unheralded". So lets put it this way.

- Sachin takes up zillion times more column space when he fails, he is unwell, he sneezes than Rahul when he does anuthing !

- Sehwag, his mother, his milk guzzling (now the prerogative of the Ranchi based Garhwali) is talked of more than Dravid though he is better in every respect exce[t his run rate in the one thing they are known in the first place for -0 their batting.

- Ganguly is all over the newspapers whether he is the villain (the arrogand SOB who kept opposite captains waiting or claimed tosses he had lost or unbared his torso, or as a hero who took Indian cricket and leadership to another level, r the victim of conspiracies, or whatever else but you cant keep the photographers from staying withinn the 30 yard circle around him. Where is Rahul and for how long even when he is making mountains of runs and winning matches when we were supposed to be losing. We even refuse to give him credit for being the man who decides the Indian eleven putting Chappell in the news for that piece of villany !!

- Dravid may have risen in the list of cricketers and the sums they claim for appearing in TV ads but thats not because rahul has risen, it is because others have fallen. Even Ganguly has risen and NOT because he is performing better. When Tendulkar, Sehwag and Yuvraj cant be used to sell products, not only are their prices falling but sponsers are moving from cricketers to actors NOT TO OTHER CRICKETERS WHO ARE PERFORMING. Rahul is NOT picking up all the ads Sachin and Yuvraj are losing...Shahrukh and his ilk are.

No Sir.
- Rahul does not make good copy for Indians.
- Rahul does not help sell newspapers.
- Rahul does not sell PERIOD.

You could put Sachin, Yuvraj, Ganguly, Chappell...any one of them in the next six issues of the sports star (including the cover) and write about their most non-cricketing affairs and sell but try doing it with Rahul.

I am not saying its Rahuls fault..but thats how we are.

To defend the other arguement by saying that Rahul is appreciated as is his phenomenal batting performance is to miss the point altogether. Rahul is venerated BECAUSE of his great performances ... these others are INSPITE of the lack of it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the thread starter meant in terms of being in the news. If not, I don't think Dravid is that unheralded at all.