Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have south australia produced australia's next "big" 4

Cricket Spectator

have south australia produced australia's next "big" 4

i think south australia have possibly produced australia's next 4 big players
    1. shaun tait
    2. dan cullen
    3. mark cosgrove
    4. callum ferguson

i have been impressed heaps with all 4 of these players cosgrove is i think australias best batsmen under 22, being 21. Callum ferguson has also been going great guns an he is only 20. Dan cullen is our best spinner behind mac gill an warnie. Tait speaks for himself impressed against england in his debut, however may only play for 5-8 years with that action

your thoughts

I tend to agree with the exception of Tait and to a lesser extent Ferguson. Cullen is easily our next best spin option behind the two leggies and Cosgrove is a run scoring machine with tremendous talent.

Ferguson looks good but still needs to do more before given the title of future Australian player. With

Tait, I think everyone has been blinded by the fact that he is quick. That takes wickets at first class level, he isn't accurate enough to succeed at international level. At international level (and any level of cricket) what gets wickets is balls consistently going through the "corrifor of uncertainty" with movement off the seam/in the air. Even Brett Lee has only been somewhat successful at international level and he is far quicker and more accurate than Tait.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence
    I tend to agree with the exception of Tait and to a lesser extent Ferguson. Cullen is easily our next best spin option behind the two leggies and Cosgrove is a run scoring machine with tremendous talent.

Ferguson looks good but still needs to do more before given the title of future Australian player. With

Tait, I think everyone has been blinded by the fact that he is quick. That takes wickets at first class level, he isn't accurate enough to succeed at international level. At international level (and any level of cricket) what gets wickets is balls consistently going through the "corrifor of uncertainty" with movement off the seam/in the air. Even Brett Lee has only been somewhat successful at international level and he is far quicker and more accurate than Tait.
    Tait isn't that bad.. he is all over the shop but he tends to be to full often rather than to short and that;s the better of the two lengths.. plys he does move the ball through the air and off the seam.

With him what i've noticed is bowls alot of poor delivery but also alot of wicket takeing ones because he attacks the stumps.

dan cullen - Offspinner? I always though the aussie pitchies favoured leggies? But on futher research it seems the wicket often breaks up which favours off-ers, he's gotta be real good in an era where off-ers can be spanked all over the place, and will he perform away from spinner-friendly wickets?

Shaun Tait - From what i saw during the ashes, and his "start" at durham, it might be a while before he comes good, and that's if doesn't suffer major back or shoulder problems from his Thompson-like action.

The batsmen seem promising but it's the bowling department that's gonna be under-strain when mcgrath and warne retire.

Breakout Champion!
    Tait

Quote Originally Posted by symonds
    i think south australia have possibly produced australia's next 4 big players
    1. shaun tait
    2. dan cullen
    3. mark cosgrove
    4. callum ferguson

i have been impressed heaps with all 4 of these players cosgrove is i think australias best batsmen under 22, being 21. Callum ferguson has also been going great guns an he is only 20. Dan cullen is our best spinner behind mac gill an warnie. Tait speaks for himself impressed against england in his debut, however may only play for 5-8 years with that action

your thoughts
    yea pretty much only other talented youngster you can add to that list is Shaun Marsh, White & Watson along with those & you have 7 pretty good youngsters...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Time will tell and like everyone with any ability, his accuracy will improve. In his Tests in England, he was going flat-out because he was the new guy so little was expected of him. Even without accuracy, he bowls the most wicket-taking balls I've seen of a bowler.

Tait has one thing Brett Lee doesn't though; an absolutely unflappable temperament. I work with his Dad so I know where he got it from. No matter the situation, no matter the crisis, the Taits are absolutely calm. It's freakish. I think, personally, this will stand him in good stead when he's back in the Test side.

As for Callum Ferguson, he's been in poor touch this year. He might be a decent prospect but some runs when the game is actually on the line (i.e. when the team REALLY needs them) would be nice.

dan cullen - Offspinner? I always though the aussie pitchies favoured leggies? But on futher research it seems the wicket often breaks up which favours off-ers, he's gotta be real good in an era where off-ers can be spanked all over the place, and will he perform away from spinner-friendly wickets?
    He plays half of his games on the Adelaide Oval; not exactly a spinner's paradise. What does for him it is that he rips the ball a long, long way.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-12-2005 at 02:34 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I'd like to see White and Cullen bowling together in the near future. I still think that Jaques is ahead of Cosgrove in the pecking order and Ferguson's got a long way to go yet.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

I still think that Jaques is ahead of Cosgrove
    Surely. Cossie might well be in excellent form but he's still well below the fitness levels the Aussie selectors would expect. Plus, Cossie has peaked whereas you feel that even with the run of good one-day scores he's gotten lately, Jacques hasn't quite peaked so he'd definitely be ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Surely. Cossie might well be in excellent form but he's still well below the fitness levels the Aussie selectors would expect. Plus, Cossie has peaked whereas you feel that even with the run of good one-day scores he's gotten lately, Jacques hasn't quite peaked so he'd definitely be ahead.
    Please. Little Boof sounds much better!

Cosgrove has a bit of a way to go but he is young, so plenty of time.

Tait and Cullen WILL play for Australia at some point. Tait would have been in the side barring the injury to his shoulder. The bowling stocks are quite low but there is some quality there, not just with Saussies!

Please. Little Boof sounds much better!
    Call him that to his face and see the reaction you get. I promise it won't be pleasant.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Call him that to his face and see the reaction you get. I promise it won't be pleasant.
    You sound as though you're speaking from experience there, Top Cat
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

He should take it as a complement. Cosgrove is less fit than Big Boof ever has been.

C_C
    So much for 'Jack McNamara fan club'. You all are bandwaggonists.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    So much for 'Jack McNamara fan club'. You all are bandwaggonists.
    Jack's from Melbourne though. Everyone knows that, geez. Jack himself would be ashamed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information