• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

have south australia produced australia's next "big" 4

symonds

Cricket Spectator
i think south australia have possibly produced australia's next 4 big players
1. shaun tait
2. dan cullen
3. mark cosgrove
4. callum ferguson

i have been impressed heaps with all 4 of these players cosgrove is i think australias best batsmen under 22, being 21. Callum ferguson has also been going great guns an he is only 20. Dan cullen is our best spinner behind mac gill an warnie. Tait speaks for himself impressed against england in his debut, however may only play for 5-8 years with that action

your thoughts

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I tend to agree with the exception of Tait and to a lesser extent Ferguson. Cullen is easily our next best spin option behind the two leggies and Cosgrove is a run scoring machine with tremendous talent.

Ferguson looks good but still needs to do more before given the title of future Australian player. With

Tait, I think everyone has been blinded by the fact that he is quick. That takes wickets at first class level, he isn't accurate enough to succeed at international level. At international level (and any level of cricket) what gets wickets is balls consistently going through the "corrifor of uncertainty" with movement off the seam/in the air. Even Brett Lee has only been somewhat successful at international level and he is far quicker and more accurate than Tait.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Clarence said:
I tend to agree with the exception of Tait and to a lesser extent Ferguson. Cullen is easily our next best spin option behind the two leggies and Cosgrove is a run scoring machine with tremendous talent.

Ferguson looks good but still needs to do more before given the title of future Australian player. With

Tait, I think everyone has been blinded by the fact that he is quick. That takes wickets at first class level, he isn't accurate enough to succeed at international level. At international level (and any level of cricket) what gets wickets is balls consistently going through the "corrifor of uncertainty" with movement off the seam/in the air. Even Brett Lee has only been somewhat successful at international level and he is far quicker and more accurate than Tait.
Tait isn't that bad.. he is all over the shop but he tends to be to full often rather than to short and that;s the better of the two lengths.. plys he does move the ball through the air and off the seam.

With him what i've noticed is bowls alot of poor delivery but also alot of wicket takeing ones because he attacks the stumps.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
dan cullen - Offspinner? I always though the aussie pitchies favoured leggies? But on futher research it seems the wicket often breaks up which favours off-ers, he's gotta be real good in an era where off-ers can be spanked all over the place, and will he perform away from spinner-friendly wickets?

Shaun Tait - From what i saw during the ashes, and his "start" at durham, it might be a while before he comes good, and that's if doesn't suffer major back or shoulder problems from his Thompson-like action.

The batsmen seem promising but it's the bowling department that's gonna be under-strain when mcgrath and warne retire.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
symonds said:
i think south australia have possibly produced australia's next 4 big players
1. shaun tait
2. dan cullen
3. mark cosgrove
4. callum ferguson

i have been impressed heaps with all 4 of these players cosgrove is i think australias best batsmen under 22, being 21. Callum ferguson has also been going great guns an he is only 20. Dan cullen is our best spinner behind mac gill an warnie. Tait speaks for himself impressed against england in his debut, however may only play for 5-8 years with that action

your thoughts
yea pretty much only other talented youngster you can add to that list is Shaun Marsh, White & Watson along with those & you have 7 pretty good youngsters...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Time will tell and like everyone with any ability, his accuracy will improve. In his Tests in England, he was going flat-out because he was the new guy so little was expected of him. Even without accuracy, he bowls the most wicket-taking balls I've seen of a bowler.

Tait has one thing Brett Lee doesn't though; an absolutely unflappable temperament. I work with his Dad so I know where he got it from. No matter the situation, no matter the crisis, the Taits are absolutely calm. It's freakish. I think, personally, this will stand him in good stead when he's back in the Test side.

As for Callum Ferguson, he's been in poor touch this year. He might be a decent prospect but some runs when the game is actually on the line (i.e. when the team REALLY needs them) would be nice.

dan cullen - Offspinner? I always though the aussie pitchies favoured leggies? But on futher research it seems the wicket often breaks up which favours off-ers, he's gotta be real good in an era where off-ers can be spanked all over the place, and will he perform away from spinner-friendly wickets?
He plays half of his games on the Adelaide Oval; not exactly a spinner's paradise. What does for him it is that he rips the ball a long, long way.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see White and Cullen bowling together in the near future. I still think that Jaques is ahead of Cosgrove in the pecking order and Ferguson's got a long way to go yet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still think that Jaques is ahead of Cosgrove
Surely. Cossie might well be in excellent form but he's still well below the fitness levels the Aussie selectors would expect. Plus, Cossie has peaked whereas you feel that even with the run of good one-day scores he's gotten lately, Jacques hasn't quite peaked so he'd definitely be ahead.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Surely. Cossie might well be in excellent form but he's still well below the fitness levels the Aussie selectors would expect. Plus, Cossie has peaked whereas you feel that even with the run of good one-day scores he's gotten lately, Jacques hasn't quite peaked so he'd definitely be ahead.
Please. Little Boof sounds much better! :p

Cosgrove has a bit of a way to go but he is young, so plenty of time.

Tait and Cullen WILL play for Australia at some point. Tait would have been in the side barring the injury to his shoulder. The bowling stocks are quite low but there is some quality there, not just with Saussies!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Call him that to his face and see the reaction you get. I promise it won't be pleasant. :)
You sound as though you're speaking from experience there, Top Cat

social

Top_Cat said:
Call him that to his face and see the reaction you get. I promise it won't be pleasant. :)
He should take it as a complement. Cosgrove is less fit than Big Boof ever has been.

andyc

C_C said:
So much for 'Jack McNamara fan club'. You all are bandwaggonists.
:p :p :p
Jack's from Melbourne though. Everyone knows that, geez. Jack himself would be ashamed :p

howardj

International Coach
I think Cosgrove and Cullen will definitely represent in the next few years. I'd like to see Ferguson do a little more though. Even at his age, guys like Martyn, Hayden and Ponting were scoring FC tons. So, if he's going to scale the heights, he probably needs to start putting some consistent scores on the board, even at his age. Definitely has potential though. Tait is an interesting one. I think he definitely bowls enough wicket balls. I think his selection will always be subject to whether the other guys in the team can keep the runs down. As we saw in England, it can quickly get away from a team if you have a couple of guys going at 4+ per over.

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
James90 said:
I'd like to see White and Cullen bowling together in the near future. I still think that Jaques is ahead of Cosgrove in the pecking order and Ferguson's got a long way to go yet.
Yeah, I'd have to agree mate. Spot on.